Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

The Search for a New Head Coach

Jeseph

3 minutes ago, mikescherrer8 said:

What's it even matter at this point, this sets back the program bad. And even if we get a coach who performs at the same level of Nate, they're just going to up and leave, and this is going to be the same pattern. It's all the same with every mid major coach who does well and jumps ship. It's absolutely demoralizing. I actually believed Oats when he had visions of building something here, the Gonzaga of the East. And it was all a sham. Back to square one it is. Hope we recover....

That's like saying it's demoralizing CJ Massinburg has to graduate. Circle of life bro

• Like 1

I like Hodgson, but he has no experience running a program. I think if we stay within Whitesell is the better choice.  I hope Hodgson will stay but there is no way we can compete with Bama. 

Hodgson might be too much of a risk. 

I read up on Pat Belein. He looks like a good choice on paper. 

One positive is that Buffalo is a much better job than 4 years ago when Hurley left. 

3 minutes ago, UB05 said:

Go big or go home, grab Tim Miles 

We’re in here talking about daemen’s coach and belien another DII coach, when this program has been national level prominence for a couple years now

I was just throwing names out. But I agree the search needs to wide. Both internal and external. Let’s see what names get approached regardless of what may happen with recruits. 

• Like 1

I didn't plan on posting regarding it, but I just wanted to chime in my thoughts...

I think this one is much rougher than the Hurley loss. Nate was the perfect hire, just waiting in the wings at the time, and over his 4 years as head coach, he proved that. He came in as Bobby's #2 guy and was perfect as the #1 guy. He was both the recruiter and the mind sitting beside the name.

As for the current #2, I think he's fantastic. I think his X's and O's are excellent. I am certain that as a coach, he is way more than adequate. Is he able to bring in guys or retain guys? He's spent the year working pretty closely with Anderson and Grant on scout team, along with Rondo and Jeenathan. Would his hiring keep those guys? I have no idea. Is he able to keep Graves and Jordan? Again, I have no clue. How about the incoming guys, how much contact has he had with them? I would imagine it is limited. 

As for Bryan, he's been the go-to-guy for many of the current and incoming players with regard to their recruitment. Does that mean that he's ready to be a head coach? What contacts does he have as far as assistants? Can he keep the roster intact, allowing very strong personnel to build his experience as the front man for a season or two before being ready to push towards something like this past year's team (maybe not quite 32 wins/ranked all year, but relatively close).

McDonald, no way

Belein, I actually thought he could be the guy when Nate left, but that was supposed to be in a few years, not yet.

Turner Battle, great guy, great alum, should have his number and name on the wall, but please not someone from Reggie's tree.

Miles or someone "big" from the outside? If it can keep the roster relatively intact and/or bring in transfers from "big" teams, it might be worth considering. 

This is Mark's first big test. He's had pretty smooth sailing, winning everything, field-house opening, etc. This is where he makes his money. Hopefully he is up to the test. It will be the biggest move of his career at UB as AD. It is make or break for us in my opinion. The stands have been packed, the teams have been winning. The community already is talking as if they've been cheated on, if the team can have early success, they may hop back aboard, but if they slide marginally, they will drop like flies.

Only time will tell what happens, and our time is very limited with regard to the next move. I hope that we had some sort of plan in place, even if this was a bit of a shocker. I'm going to reserve full judgment until I see what happens over the next few days/weeks. Nate's leaving is a shot from behind that I certainly didn't see coming. He will do well at Bama. He is a great basketball coach and as much as I am the biggest hater of those who leave us, and have expressed that many times, "some birds weren't meant to be caged...their feathers are just too bright".

4 minutes ago, 961819 said:

How about T.J. Otzelberger, Matt McMahon, or Dan Majerle? Another really out there idea, Mike Bibby. Coach of the Shadow Mountain High School team that has been absolutely dominant in recent years 

TJ just went to UNLV. Majerle has been building a solid rep at Grand Canyon but they haven’t had a break through yet which is weird. Bc he’s made noise in recruiting. 

Have we reached that level where we are a step up for a coach like McMahon? Could be interesting.

Didn’t know that about Otzelberger, good for him though he deserves it. I think the recruiting class that was supposed to be coming in for next year would be wonderful, but now I just don’t see it happening. Not sure who, if any of them we will get, which is why we need to hire someone that truly buys in to the idea of building something special here. Not just saying it in interviews and retweeting bible verses to seem like a really down-to-earth guy like Oats did.

1 minute ago, promotherobot said:

Better think quickly because Niagara is pursuing him.

I think we are way above Niagara. I think he would do a solid job at Niagara and be ready to move up to someplace like us in a few years. I expect him to take a job this year and do well wherever it is. We were ranked all season, have won our league (top third in the NCAA as far as ranked leagues go, whether we like it or not, even if it is a 1-bid league), so I honestly think we are better than him at the moment and I would think that our internal hires would be stronger hires than him right now.

3 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

I think we are way above Niagara. I think he would do a solid job at Niagara and be ready to move up to someplace like us in a few years. I expect him to take a job this year and do well wherever it is. We were ranked all season, have won our league (top third in the NCAA as far as ranked leagues go, whether we like it or not, even if it is a 1-bid league), so I honestly think we are better than him at the moment and I would think that our internal hires would be stronger hires than him right now.

If he succeeds at Niagara his next job isn't UB.

2 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Don't know if this means anything as far as him keeping his options open.

Hoping he's got an interview with Alnutt lined up.

Why are we thinking about D2 coaches? Our list should include the best low-major coaches in the market as well as top P5 assistants and any ex-coaches that fit. 

If we are going D2, we'd just keep Hodgson and/or Whitesell

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kevin said:

Why are we thinking about D2 coaches? Our list should include the best low-major coaches in the market as well as top P5 assistants and any ex-coaches that fit. 

If we are going D2, we'd just keep Hodgson and/or Whitesell

Even though I started us down the path of D-II coaches I do agree with you. Lol

2 hours ago, 121Merrimac said:

Don't forget, Hodgson was named to the 30 under 30 list back in 2016... for coaching, not recruiting.  One person can actually be good at two things at the same time.

The honor that spoke about his recruiting abilities?  http://www.ubbulls.com/sports/mbkb/2015-16/releases/20160404oj6c29

The official website on the award doesn’t say anything about coaching abilities and specificity mentions support staff. 

“The Under Armour NABC 30-Under-30 program recognizes up-and-coming coaches and support staff in men's college basketball under the age of 30. “