Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

The Search for a New Head Coach

Jeseph

3 minutes ago, hurley said:

If they hire Whitesell, Hodgson is going to Bama along with our recruiting class. If for some reason they chose to not hire Hodgson then you may as well do a nationwide search because you've lost the recruiting class anyways. In no way would Whitesell every be the correct choice

Whitesell is in no way the right choice. You'd lose your whole class, and as you mentioned, you might as well do a full search and find a coach that would come with players

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, SGBull said:

Niagara is obviously grooming him to become a successful coach at UB in the future.

Fun sarcasm, but I could really care less what Niagara does. Good luck to them, but if our program reaches the heights we're envisioning, he'd need another stop in between them and us in 5 years.

9 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

The integrity of the staff really is in question here.

Oats leaves town without addressing his team.  He calls the top recruit to tell him to come to Alabama.  And Hodgson says you better give me the job or I am going to Alabama too and taking my players with me.

That shows a lack of respect for the program.

Fair on Oats, but a mischaracterization of Hodgson. He can't assume that he'll have a role at UB under a new coach and he has an offer from Oats to go to Alabama. The only thing that will keep him here is the head role. We have no quotes from him. No proof that it's the hostage situation you describe. The players commitment was to Oats and Hodgson as much or more as it was to UB. Who can blame the kids for wanting to stick with the guys who they made connections with personally and basketball-wise. Hire Hodgson and the team stays mostly together organically, it isn't a conspiracy.

14 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

The integrity of the staff really is in question here.

Oats leaves town without addressing his team.  He calls the top recruit to tell him to come to Alabama.  And Hodgson says you better give me the job or I am going to Alabama too and taking my players with me.

That shows a lack of respect for the program.

Where did you hear that Hodgson demanded the job?

3 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Is that even true though? Oats originally sold the White on the ability to keep the team together, he lost every single player but Perkins and 1-year od Bearden. 

He luckily grabbed some great Juco players (from coach B)  and luckily found CJ. On

Only time will tell, but it seems like a bunch of the guys had as strong if not stronger affinity for Coach B. And the program is so much more established now than in 2015. Some coaching continuity on top of the brand/success/momentum might just make the difference in keeping guys here. Sure if Oats tries to pull Jayvon it might not make a difference, but I don't think any of these kids said I absolutely have to play for Nate Oats in college. They saw a good team and an opportunity. That can remain true. And maybe there's a bit of a rallying point around keeping this thing going and how Oats left. Hell maybe the seniors can even help with that.

2 minutes ago, UB05 said:

Hopefully the players look around the room and see that all the talent is sitting right there if they stick together. Forlorn hope maybe, but they have the ability to keep the train moving if they want.

They are looking around feeling deceived. I can tell you that with certainty. 

16 minutes ago, everlast2504 said:

Shocking article from the Buffalo News.  It is not all local people on the list.

I am sticking with my earlier post, if they go outside the program, of Pooh Williamson.

1 hour ago, everlast2504 said:

Maybe we hire Hartman and he moves into Nate’s Grand Island home. 

All jokes aside I like Fife, Hartman or Becker. If we are losing Allen that means Hogdson has no pull so why even bother hiring him. His one upside is being able to keep this recruiting class and that’s falling apart. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

Sounds like Hodgson is gone.

Of course he is, unless he gets the head coaching job. That was always the case I thought. To me the tweet is actually reassuring, in that he’s willing to stay if we want him. 

Yeah Potter actually tweeted a little bit later what I quoted above which is very reassuring

It sounds like oats is immediately jumping into his bama job. Going hard right at the crack of dawn... I mean if you're a bama fan you love this and I would love a coach that does that right away... So my heads a bit conflicted. I guess take one day to sort your Buffalo affairs first would have been great still

In regards to Hodgson I feel UB might be hesitant on him in some respect or else they would have done it really fast? almost like they want to quickly check what else is out there first but at the same time not blow the safety net

I don't remember how fast oats was retained after Hurley but it seemed pretty quick

My big question is what is Hodgson doing right now?

1) Is he calling our recruits and telling them to stay? 

2) Is he calling our recruits and telling them to go Bama?

3) Or is he sitting on his hands while this process works out with Whitesell recruiting against Oats?

If #1, BH has no credibility with Oats saying he expects BH to go to Bama (possibly the motivation for Oats to say it)
If #2, Goodbye everyone and we better hire a hell of a coach to rebuild
If #3, Oats is gonna win all those battles

So in all scenarios I see, we need to make a move ASAP if we want to have any chance...