Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

The Search for a New Head Coach

Jeseph

4 minutes ago, xDerekRx said:

In regards to Hodgson I feel UB might be hesitant on him in some respect or else they would have done it really fast? I don't remember how fast oats was retained after Hurley but it seemed pretty quick

Hurley left 4/9, Oats hired 4/11.

It's been what, less than 12 hours, but it feels like 12 days.

Edited by bull_trojan

4 minutes ago, bull_trojan said:

My big question is what is Hodgson doing right now?

1) Is he calling our recruits and telling them to stay? 

2) Is he calling our recruits and telling them to go Bama?

3) Or is he sitting on his hands while this process works out with Whitesell recruiting against Oats?

If #1, BH has no credibility with Oats saying he expects BH to go to Bama (possibly the motivation for Oats to say it)
If #2, Goodbye everyone and we better hire a hell of a coach to rebuild
If #3, Oats is gonna win all those battles

So in all scenarios I see, we need to make a move ASAP if we want to have any chance...

#2 if that is happening and is found out. It will pretty much be the death sentence on his career and depending on if 'Bama knows it could be massive sanctions on them .

2 minutes ago, everlast2504 said:

#2 if that is happening and is found out. It will pretty much be the death sentence on his career and depending on if 'Bama knows it could be massive sanctions on them .

Do we think that would stop him?

It is hard to prove.  Harder than proving payments to athletes.

Those calls could simply be: "If I am given the head coaching job, I want you here.  If Buffalo doesn't give me the job then you have a home with the rest of us at Alabama." 

Edited by dutchcountry7

3 minutes ago, everlast2504 said:

Is someone calling compliance? Or are we saving that for tweets of encouragement to Hawkins?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bull_trojan said:

Yeah, I mean its really been 24 hours. 

I dont know what goes on behind the scenes but I gotta believe UB is moving fast. They know what this means. They want a presser out , they want positive momentum.

I feel like Oats might be going after bigger fish now that he has Bama resources behind him. Not sure he cares to take all his recruits. Bigger issue would be the recruits wanting to come to UB because of Oats and not wanting so now.

8 minutes ago, everlast2504 said:

#2 depends on how the employment contracts work. As Hodgson's options are:

1) wait around at Buffalo and maybe become HC, maybe be retained, OR maybe be fired vs.
2) Go to Bama and maybe get HC job at Buffalo.

If I was Hodgson, I'd have probably already submitted my resignation at UB and am working at Bama. If UB wants to hire me, then I'd resign at Bama and sign my contract at Buffalo.

15 minutes ago, bull_trojan said:

There was also a players meeting where they all picked Oats to coach the next season. Maybe that didn't happen or the reaction to the current staff wasn't as positive?

1 minute ago, ubfan75 said:

Sorry if this was covered here already, but I'll take the chance and ask this anyway: Was our AD so naive that he didn't have a disaster plan readied in case this happened???

He got got, like the rest of the people who believes Nate's outside sales pitch about staying

2 minutes ago, Kevin said:

He got got, like the rest of the people who believes Nate's outside sales pitch about staying

Then maybe AD needs to go as well. ADs in mid-major conferences that have successful programs are required to have some measure of skepticism IMHO. I mean, it just happened right here only a few years ago. Is our institutional memory that short?!?

Just now, ubfan75 said:

Then maybe AD needs to go as well. ADs in mid-major conferences that have successful programs are required to have some measure of skepticism IMHO. I mean, it just happened right here only a few years ago. Is our institutional memory that short?!?

Not sure, if you want to advocate for Alnutt's job, that's up to you. At some point, business is done on relationships and trust. If someone is asking for a rec center one day, and leveraging you the next, what can you do? 

Not sure, if you want to advocate for Alnutt's job, that's up to you. At some point, business is done on relationships and trust. If someone is asking for a rec center one day, and leveraging you the next, what can you do? 

I'm not asking for much...just a backup plan. That Alnutt didn't have one is a bit concerning. Hurley leaving and Oats leaving are "just business". But the AD's job is also "just business", and good businesses have backup plans.

Edited by ubfan75
typo

I'm not asking for much...just a backup plan. That Alnutt didn't have one is a bit concerning. Hurley leaving and Oats leaving are "just business". But the AD's job is also "just business", and good businesses have backup plans.

It's been 24 hours, we dont know if his backup plan didn't exist, is in effect, or fell apart by Hodgson spurning them. 

I'm not asking for much...just a backup plan. That Alnutt didn't have one is a bit concerning. Hurley leaving and oats leaving are "just business". but the Ads job is also "just business", and good businesses have backup plans.

Why are you so sure he didn’t have a plan? It’s not like he can interview people before the coach leaves. Who’s to say Alnutt didn’t have a list ready to go and is currently interviewing candidates? 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ubfan75 said:

Sorry if this was covered here already, but I'll take the chance and ask this anyway: Was our AD so naive that he didn't have a disaster plan readied in case this happened???

We're coming up on the 24 hour mark... who's to say he isn't carrying out his disaster plan right now? I'm as hungry for news as anyone, but Alnutt has proven himself extremely capable thus far and I'm looking forward to seeing what he does here (as we move into day 2 remember).

I'm not asking for much...just a backup plan. That Alnutt didn't have one is a bit concerning. Hurley leaving and oats leaving are "just business". but the Ads job is also "just business", and good businesses have backup plans.

So, we're upset that Alnutt didn't have a coach lined up within 24 hours in case Nate left?  I'm assuming he had a list of people that he would be interested in, but we're talking about getting someone signed within a day.  Getting Oats within 2 days was incredibly fast, and that's because he was already here and the players advocated for him.  

1 minute ago, UB05 said:

Why are you so sure he didn’t have a plan? It’s not like he can interview people before the coach leaves. Who’s to say Alnutt didn’t have a list ready to go and is currently interviewing candidates? 

I'm not sure either way. It was mostly rhetorical question to trigger the conversation we are having. 

6 minutes ago, ubfan75 said:

I'm not sure either way. It was mostly rhetorical question to trigger the conversation we are having. 

I think its fair but I do believe in Alnutt. I have confidence he knew exactly what to expect. In fact he may have known more than us about the likelihood of this happening.

We are all looking for breadcrumbs. We will see something within a couple days.

5 minutes ago, Kevin said:

I feel Murchie could single handily swing this with $$$

They were the single person I thought could/would be the reason we got a D1 Hockey team (back when it was discussed)

I wish we had a Pegula type alumnist... although Pegula does whats best for Buffalo sports in general, we arent Penn State. If we had him in UB, Oats would have gotten 2 million to stay and we'd have a basketball facility built.

That nonsense aside, i dont doubt Murchie alone could literally swing 100k into the next coaches salary.

Just now, xDerekRx said:

I feel Murchie could single handily swing this with $$$

They were the single person I thought could/would be the reason we got a D1 Hockey team (back when it was discussed)

I wish we had a Pegula type alumnist... although Pegula does whats best for Buffalo sports in general, we arent Penn State. If we had him in UB, Oats would have gotten 2 million to stay and we'd have a basketball facility built.

That nonsense aside, i dont doubt Murchie alone could literally swing 100k into the next coaches salary.

Well, they are already to the good right? They sourced all that money for Oats new deal that didn't even matter, and just got 750k for his buyout. 

Its more about him wanting to coach here, id figure less amount the salary?

Wouldn't be shocked if Murchie was in on the Oats raise/extension. Hes very into the AD.

Wonder if you could get Whitesell and Hodgeson to both stay with enough money, if Bama is only offereing 275k per year, does that mean hed stay for 400 plus a solid HC job?