Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

The Search for a New Head Coach

Jeseph

16 minutes ago, RecoveringHillbilly said:

A plane landed this evening from Champaign...start your guesses:

Illinois staff

Antigua off that staff.  Ties to Memphis.  Could be the first ex-Globetrotter to be a head coach in NCAA.

Saw in an article about the opening for the  women's head spot in Tennessee that among the possible candidates there is Becky Hammon.  from everything coming from Popvich in San Antonio she would be a brilliant hire and keep the national attention on UB.

3 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

Antigua off that staff.  Ties to Memphis.  Could be the first ex-Globetrotter to be a head coach in NCAA.

Saw in an article about the opening for the  women's head spot in Tennessee that among the possible candidates there is Becky Hammon.  from everything coming from Popvich in San Antonio she would be a brilliant hire and keep the national attention on UB.

I thought about Hammon...but will young boys want to play for a woman? Sounds sexist but it’s truth. I love Hammon to replace FLJ though.

1 minute ago, DooleyBull06 said:

I thought about Hammon...but will young boys want to play for a woman? Sounds sexist but it’s truth. I love Hammon to replace FLJ though.

If they listened to anything said by the guys in the NBA the should not have a problem playing for her.

11 minutes ago, RecoveringHillbilly said:

This is the flight from Champaign per Flightaware...Linky

Also, a plane landed this morning from Annapolis. Likely too early for an interview, though a Navy assistant Emmett Davis who has Upstate ties is in the staff...who knows

Link

I'd prefer to not hire a losing Colgate coach. 

43 minutes ago, rma said:

Okay, so this is odd, but plausible but I'm trying to piece together why the flights are so close together.

BUF -> PHL (25 min) PHL -> SOP (30 min) SOP -> BUF

Tomorrow first thing in the morning:

BUF -> PHL (24 min) PHL -> SOP (26 min) SOP -> BUF

McGeehan is from Philly.  Seems suuuuper odd that a charter flight from the middle of nowhere goes from place up and coming coach is from, to where he lives, to BUF.

Edit: This doesn't address why the plane didn't come from Raleigh which would be a much more plausible flight...

Edited by rma

Wasn't Turner runner-up to Oats? When was the last time UB hired a former D1 head coach? Not Hurley, Not Reggie, Not Oats, etc... Does it make sense for a HC from a mid to low major to consider upgrading to another 1 bid conference? Hire the top D2 or JUCO coach or a #1 assistant somewhere with local ties. The same reason why UB can't get the top 1 or 2 players locally, i.e.: Taplin, Nwora, etc is the same reason they can't get an experienced D1 HC with a proven track record.

1 minute ago, rma said:

Okay, so this is odd, but plausible but I'm trying to piece together why the flights are so close together.

McGeehan is from Philly.  Seems suuuuper odd that a charter flight from the middle of nowhere goes from place up and coming coach lives, to where he's from, to BUF.

This is good detective work. Don't know much about him and Campbell except for Clemons but his records haven't been impressive at all. Please nobody find a link between him and Alnutt...

18 minutes ago, rma said:

McGeehan is from Philly.  Seems suuuuper odd that a charter flight from the middle of nowhere goes from place up and coming coach is from, to where he lives, to BUF.

Edit: This doesn't address why the plane didn't come from Raleigh which would be a much more plausible flight...

Interesting. I really think Kevin McGeehan makes sense too.

Don't worry guys, if Oats takes our recruiting class McGeehan can just bring his one man recruiting class: a 5'8" PG with no offers other than Campbell. I'll give anybody a fair shot but damn if we spurned Hodgson or even Beilen for him that's gonna be disappointing.

• Like 2

Is UB even chartering flights for interviews? It seems like a huge waste of money with the technology available today. Interview online then when they have their guy splurge for the flight in. In fact Earlier today people we’re marveling atvthe idea bama could fly Oats in via private jet.

3 minutes ago, UB05 said:

Is UB even chartering flights for interviews? It seems like a huge waste of money with the technology available today. Interview online then when they have their guy splurge for the flight in. In fact Earlier today people we’re marveling atvthe idea bama could fly Oats in via private jet.

Alabama probably borrowed Nick Saban’s plane. I wonder if Oats had to pay for the gas??I think I found out why Oats went to Alabama. The gas is cheaper. I wonder if he gets a company car??

Just now, UB05 said:

I thought the same thing, but then I saw the price of charter flights and it's much less than I thought.  If we're trying to wow a coach I'd think we'd want them here to see facilities and interview in person.

Either that or I'm going to never get resolution as to who flew from Champaign to Buffalo direct, and who flew direct from semi-rural NC to Buffalo.