Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

The Search for a New Head Coach

Jeseph

1 minute ago, dutchcountry7 said:

Is this the case?

Is Hodgson officially out of consideration as a result of the poor way he has handled himself in this situation?

I think Hodgson is certainly still considered... in fact we don't really know anything going on behind the scenes.

But the vibe Im getting from Alnutt is that hes going after bigger fish and is not sold enough on Hodgson as HC material. His real value is keeping the team together, but maybe thats it?

Just now, xDerekRx said:

His real value is keeping the team together, but maybe thats it?

That has been my line of thinking too. 

He might be a great coach but he has only shown to be a recruiters.  While a valuable asset to the program, I don't think that makes a strong enough argument for him to htake over the program.  especially with the names we are hearing.

Rob Lainer is the 9th highest paid assistant in basketball.

9. Rob Lanier, Tennessee

Rob Lanier followed Tennessee head coach Rick Barnes to the Volunteers for the 2015-16 season, and his two seasons in Knoxville have given Lanier a total of nine working under Barnes.

Lanier was an assistant for Barnes at Texas in two different stints as well, and it’s that familiarity that plays a part in Lanier appearing on this list. Also helping is his recruiting and player development résumé.

Lanier has helped recruit eight McDonald’s All-Americans. The 2012-13 class was ranked fourth by ESPN. 11 players that Lanier either coached or signed have went on to become NBA Draft picks.

While the Vols missed the NCAA Tournament last season, Lanier will be an integral part of Barnes building his program at Tennessee. That’s evidenced by the compensation that Lanier is currently receiving.

Lanier’s total compensation for the 2016-17 season was $378,750. All of that amount was his base salary.

Lanier will look to help the Volunteers return to March Madness next season, and hopefully earn himself some bonus money as well. The next entry on this list has spent the past four seasons in the state just north of Tennessee, but is moving on to bigger and hopefully better things.

Ah that makes Lanier a bit more appealing. Didn't realize his jumping around was more due to following Rick Barnes.

So Lanier makes 425k currently.

Seems to be a great recruiter and has some HC experience. And he has the local ties.

An all around better Hodgson?

I'm not sure if Rob Lanier would be the man for the job, but WNY has enough basketball talent to put together a tournament caliber team alone.  I've long wanted somebody that just cleaned up the WNY market, and I'd assume he's the reason Davonte Gaines is going to Tennessee.  Off the top of my head an all-WNY team for this year:

Dontay Caruthers

Jeenathan Williams

Anthony Lamb (Vermont)

Jordan Nwora (Louisville)

Naz Carter (Washington)

Dominick Welch (Bona)

Amadi Ikpeze (Bona)

Stafford Trueheart (Hofstra)

Emmit Holt (Indiana, now Providence)

Howard Washington (Syracuse)

Sterling Taplin (Tulsa)

Takal Molson (Canisius)

Jayce Johnson (Middle Tennessee)

Ryan Funk (Marist)

Too many good players getting away.  You could even expand into the Toronto area as one of the closest D1 schools, and access a much larger talent pool, basketball is exploding there.

Edited by trueblue32
  • Like 1

I don't know what the fascination with Hogdson is about here.  

Yes, he recruited well, but that doesn't make a coach.  He's also recruiting Nate Oat's brand.  What's he going to do when he's the new HC.  Tell his assistants to recruit using Hogdson's name?  Year 1 was where he played a key role.  He did find Blake Hamilton and Willie Conner before Oats became established, so that was great, but those two were not that highly recruited.  CJ was Whitesell's recruit and Perkins was Nate Oats.

Maybe Hogdson will be a great head coach one day, but he's got to put in his time.  He's barely 30.  What did you guys know about your profession when you were 30?  Now if you guys have played for him and can point to his basketball genius, game management, running practices or something like that, it's a different story, but all we're going by is, "he can recruit, we need to keep this team together"? 

We're basically playing lottery with our head coach if this is the case out of fear.  And it's not like we have a team of McDonald's All-Americans coming in.  The best recruits we've had ever, yes, I agree, but I think we're getting a little carried away here.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

I'm not sure if Rob Lanier would be the man for the job, but WNY has enough basketball talent to put together a tournament caliber team alone.  I've long wanted somebody that just cleaned up the WNY market, and I'd assume he's the reason Davonte Gaines is going to Tennessee.  Off the top of my head an all-WNY team for this year:

Dontay Caruthers

Jeenathan Williams

Anthony Lamb (Vermont)

Jordan Nwora (Louisville)

Naz Carter (Washington)

Dominick Welch (Bona)

Amadi Ikpeze (Bona)

Stafford Trueheart (Hofstra)

Emmit Holt (Indiana, now Providence)

Howard Washington (Syracuse)

Sterling Taplin (Tulsa)

Takal Molson (Canisius)

Jayce Johnson (Middle Tennessee)

Ryan Funk (Marist)

Too many good players getting away.  You could even expand into the Toronto area as one of the closest D1 schools, and access a much larger talent pool, basketball is exploding there.

You also have think about kids who want to go away for college.  That is a major factor for many, wanting to get away from home.

Missing form your list is Maceo Jack at George Washington.

9 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

This is where my head is. One thing that could make us Gonzaga East or even St. Mary's East is drilling into a pool of talent that we have a major advantage with. Those schools have the international market dialed in. If UB becomes a destination for athletes from Southern Ontario, we would have a path to real prominence. One of the names mentioned with Buffalo and Toronto ties is Mike Mennenga from Oregon, who I don't know much about. I hope Alnutt isn't ignoring the many millions of folks living to our north.

4 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

Oats is gone. Am I really the only one who doesn’t care about his departure story anymore?

Time to move forward, he did so pretty darn easily.

I agree, all I care about now is who the coach is going to be next year and who will be on the team. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nonickname said:

But if I'm the agent getting such a small cut, I'd do anything to convince my client to sign for 3x's elsewhere. 

The book Freakonomics gets into this in a non-sports aspect. Real estate agents typically leave their houses on the market longer than their clients, to get a better offer.

The agent is getting a small cut of the check in the end, what’s the difference between $2.4 at Bama and whatever more Virginia Tech will offer? For the agent maybe a few thousand more dollars, when there’s a good chance that if Oats balks Bama will hire the next guy and the agent gets nothing. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jeseph said:

Oats is gone. Am I really the only one who doesn’t care about his departure story anymore?

This. I agree.

I'm here trying to think if Anderson or Lanier will make enough to come here

This coach is gone, and presumably took one of the candidates (hodgson) with him

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

For me, it's just still a bit of a shock. Once we get a new coach, and I embrace it, then I'll get over it. But I'll probably never like Oats after he just disappeared in the fashion he did. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Kevin said:

This. I agree.

I'm here trying to think if Anderson or Lanier will make enough to come here

This coach is gone, and presumably took one of the candidates (hodgson) with him

I guess I'm going to keep biting on oats posts but I'm in the same boat, I'm concerned more about these new more exciting candidates

19 minutes ago, mikescherrer8 said:

For me, it's just still a bit of a shock. Once we get a new coach, and I embrace it, then I'll get over it. But I'll probably never like Oats after he just disappeared in the fashion he did. 

Pretty much agree with ya there.  With each passing day thoughts about Oats and his amazing vanishing act erode away..   I'm way more interested in who we hire and getting UB hoops momentum ramped up again..

If anyone here thinks they would not jump at a good job that pays 2x to 3x more than they make now they are crazy.  Alabama is good job and Oats believes that he can win there.  Wish the man well and say who next.  I hope the next coach has as much coaching and recruiting talent as we had before.  This is life as a mid major.  

I don't want to go back to the unknown/unproven  coach hire. We're at the point where we crash and burn or take it to the next level.  Let's pay for a top coach and  use this season to progress.  As for oats he lied to us and I hope he fails miserably. 

I would like this hire. Has prior coaching experience. Not an old geezer. From Buffalo. Ok so what he played at Bona. Family lineage. And he’s been an assistant for Rick Barnes. 

Yes with hiring an external candidate that would be a complete rebuild but I’m ok with that. Those recruits or current players that wanna leave be gone. 

Theres no certainty that they would stay if Hodgson gets the job. Plus it seems Hogdson has one foot out the door already. And he has no coaching experience. So think about that if you’re Alnutt. You wanna put it on the line with a first timer?