Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

The Search for a New Head Coach

Jeseph

2 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

Hodgson is also in Tuscaloosa dangling a Hawkins commitment (to us or Alabama) in our AD's face so I'm not sure how good of a culture fit this is moving forward. We need a sustained, positive culture for this program.

Maybe I'm wrong but as much as I initially wanted continuity and to play "save the recruits" at all costs, it just doesn't feel right anymore.

Meh, that's the dirty world of the NCAA.  If you think whoever they do hire wasn't doing that stuff, I think you'd be mistaken.  I like the Hodgson hire not only because of the recruits but also he brings the local ties like Lanier has that everyone seems to love so much.  It's just not a sexy hire...but neither was Oats.

4 minutes ago, UBigbobby said:

Meh, that's the dirty world of the NCAA.  If you think whoever they do hire wasn't doing that stuff, I think you'd be mistaken.  I like the Hodgson hire not only because of the recruits but also he brings the local ties like Lanier has that everyone seems to love so much.  It's just not a sexy hire...but neither was Oats.

I admit I'm salty about everything that has happened since the TTU game. Maybe it's ex-gf syndrome but I liked what Hodgson was doing while he was here, everything since then has felt sketchy. The part that bugs me is that contractually he's... "still here". Based on his current employment shouldn't his priorities lie with the continued building of our program? I'm fine with him interviewing for another job but outside of that, if you don't want to work for UB Athletics, quit.

13 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

I admit I'm salty about everything that has happened since the TTU game. Maybe it's ex-gf syndrome but I liked what Hodgson was doing while he was here, everything since then has felt sketchy. The part that bugs me is that contractually he's... "still here". Based on his current employment shouldn't his priorities lie with the continued building of our program? I'm fine with him interviewing for another job but outside of that, if you don't want to work for UB Athletics, quit.

Same here. He's still employeed by UB. Taking that plane ride to Alabama was walking a fine line with some conflicts of interest.

• Like 2

Disagree with regard to Hodgson. For the record, I’d like him to be our next coach. He is young, tied in to high school, AAU, and JUCO coaches, and close with the players. I would demand of him what White did of Oats- here an experienced staff to make up for lack of college head coaching experience.

That said, the man needs a job next year. He has a golden opportunity with Oats at Alabama. The school hasn’t shown him any commitment- Whitesell is Interim HC and they are clearly looking at other candidates. If he was the choice I expect it would be done already. He owes the school the same loyalty as it shows him, which right now seems like zip. This isn’t a one way street.

Alnutt better make a great hire, because if he looks elsewhere and his choice flips it should cost him his job.

42 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

Hodgson is also in Tuscaloosa dangling a Hawkins commitment (to us or Alabama) in our AD's face so I'm not sure how good of a culture fit this is moving forward. We need a sustained, positive culture for this program.

Maybe I'm wrong but as much as I initially wanted continuity and to play "save the recruits" at all costs, it just doesn't feel right anymore.

Can confirm right from Hodgson's mouth:

• Like 1

If Hawkins still came here via a Hodgson hiring it is tempting...

I like a lot about the Hodgson hire but I've slowly begun get more on board with a Lanier/Anderson. 

Besides Hawkins , hodgson also has Tunney behind him which isn't nothing (although we don't want to make Alnutt make his decision based on donor pressure necessarily...)

Oats wasn't sexy but he there was confidence even among fans because of his experience and lobbying for him by players. There was just more to like there and it was quick.

Hodgson makes me hesitant as it seems to also be making Alnutt.

I support whichever hire they make but I'm not all in on Bryan anymore

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, UB05 said:

I’m mostly concerned with Graves, Jordan, Segu, and Jeenathan. Hopefully Alnutt ur talking to them about how they feel about things

Yep, this is right.

And regarding Hawkins, he's really feeling himself with this Bama offer. He likes the clout and attention, unsurprisingly. I highly doubt he'd choose UB over Bama even if Hodgson were named coach.

1 hour ago, skrabukes said:

Is it just me or does this Hawkins thing really seem shady? From what I read here anyway, Hodgson is trying to hold UB hostage via an 18 year old kid. I mean, he's not Lebron. Yes, we should want him, but I'm more concerned about the shady-ness of someone who is supposedly currently employed by UB. I completely don't understand how contracts work in this business. Additionally, if I'm in charge and I'm approached in this manner by a current employee who is looking for advancement, trying to strong-arm me isn't the way I'd like to be moved into a decision. Personally, I don't work that way, and I don't think UB should either.

It’s called negotiating. Hodgson has leverage because he has nothing to lose. Oats has a job for him at Alabama. All of you people on here who are hurt by his actions don’t understand negotiation. Hodgson will be fine either way, UB on the other hand can lose if they don’t hire him. 

6 minutes ago, MKBullsfan said:

It’s called negotiating. Hodgson has leverage because he has nothing to lose. Oats has a job for him at Alabama. All of you people on here who are hurt by his actions don’t understand negotiation. Hodgson will be fine either way, UB on the other hand can lose if they don’t hire him. 

One should never negotiate out of fear. You are guaranteed to lose if you do.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Buffalobonnie said:

What the hell happened,?  I leave you guys alone for a few months and all hell breaks loose.  You would be wise to make Rob Lanier your coach. Big time assistant and local ties. He also does things the right way, which would be good. 

Carry on. 

You missed quite a bit. Congrats to your team on coming oh so close to joining us in the tournament.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MDBullsfan89 said:

You missed quite a bit. Congrats to your team on coming oh so close to joining us in the tournament.

Don’t agree. He would be a homer for St. Bona. He failed miserably at Siena. If he can/t make it in the week MAAC he should stay in the SEC. Maybe Oats can sign him and they can talk about their accolades when they were local. You know how the good old boys club works.

46 minutes ago, xDerekRx said:

Any of these big name types we are expecting closer to what Oats extension was unless its Hodgson

I'd be more than happy paying a huge name more than the latest signed deal. It would show the returnees and commits that we are serious about continuing the success. It would also show the bandwagon jumpers in the community that we are as well, and hopefully would keep them buying seats. I can't say that it will happen though. Use that butout money to help defray the first couple of years of the latest extension cost. It could legitimately pay for 3 years of 850k deal (oats old 600 + 250 buyout price).

2 hours ago, John said:

Don’t agree. He would be a homer for St. Bona. He failed miserably at Siena. If he can/t make it in the week MAAC he should stay in the SEC. Maybe Oats can sign him and they can talk about their accolades when they were local. You know how the good old boys club works.

Lanier was in the MAAC quite a while ago.  If you are worried about a”homer”, I am pretty sure that Hodgson lived in Olean for quite some time.  I think Hodgson or Lanier are good choices for you, but this thread is fun. Let’s keep it going. 

Wolf Blitzer would pass the loyalty test, but it could be tough with the basketball knowledge.  Press briefings could be in the “situation room” 

Edited by Buffalobonnie

1 hour ago, Buffalobonnie said:

Lanier was in the MAAC quite a while ago.  If you are worried about a”homer”, I am pretty sure that Hodgson lived in Olean for quite some time.  I think Hodgson or Lanier are good choices for you, but this thread is fun. Let’s keep it going. 

Wolf Blitzer would pass the loyalty test, but it could be tough with the basketball knowledge.  Press briefings could be in the “situation room” 

Hodgson went to JCC and is from Olean.  He's a WNY guy.

9 hours ago, skrabukes said:

Is it just me or does this Hawkins thing really seem shady? From what I read here anyway, Hodgson is trying to hold UB hostage via an 18 year old kid. I mean, he's not Lebron. Yes, we should want him, but I'm more concerned about the shady-ness of someone who is supposedly currently employed by UB. I completely don't understand how contracts work in this business. Additionally, if I'm in charge and I'm approached in this manner by a current employee who is looking for advancement, trying to strong-arm me isn't the way I'd like to be moved into a decision. Personally, I don't work that way, and I don't think UB should either.

I am starting to think Hodgson is a bag man...