Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

The Search for a New Head Coach

Jeseph

8 hours ago, John said:

Let’s face it the longer this goes on Hodgson must feel like he has been screwed and probably has no chance of the HC job. How would you feel??? I am tire of being lied to, deceived and will tell Oats if our family ever sees him.

Screwed?  That is insane. Hodgson is showing poor character. He is acting entitled and attempting to extort the school. 

11 hours ago, Jeseph said:

Hodgson is also in Tuscaloosa dangling a Hawkins commitment (to us or Alabama) in our AD's face so I'm not sure how good of a culture fit this is moving forward. We need a sustained, positive culture for this program.

Maybe I'm wrong but as much as I initially wanted continuity and to play "save the recruits" at all costs, it just doesn't feel right anymore.

Agreed. 

Interview: What do you bring to the table.

Hodgson: Well I can bring talent. In fact, our #1 recruit has told me he will stay with Buffalo if I'm hired before he makes his decision on Saturday.

That is not leverage or extortion...

At this point he has no "leverage" but would still presumably take the UB job over the Bama assistant job, for obvious reasons. 

Facing tranfers and decommits, UB would be derelict in duty not to ask every candidate about who they think they can bring in to keep the team going in 19-20 and beyond.

4 hours ago, skrabukes said:
4 hours ago, John said:

I am not endorsing anything. How did signing that extension work out for you???? It is how Oats went about it. Be honest with fans, don’t sign an extension if you don’t plan on being here. If you read my comments in its entirety you will see where we are coming from. I guess being honest and upfront with people only applies if not in sports.

We all get your frustration, we all are too. But as others have said, the extension (as brief as it was), got UB a $750k buyout. Would we rather have Oats than the buyout? I know I would. Do I wish the buyout was bigger, commensurate with his new 2/3 buyout? Yes, definitely. As far as being honest and upfront...we all got snookered.

I read exactly what you wrote.  You were upset that some one who signed a "five year" extension (it was only really one extra year from the deal he signed a year ago) left less than two weeks later.  But you had no problem if he left after one or two years.  Either way he would have not "lived up" to his contract and statements.

How did the extension work out for me?  I m still breathing and supporting UB.  Seems it worked out well for me.  It also worked out for many people on this board as well.  It took, give or take an hour or two, about six hours before people were speculating on what the buyout for Oats was.  So apparently, people here were expecting Oats to leave.  You can look at the contract extension as a $250,000.00 donation to UB from Alabama on behalf of Oats.

If you are Oats how do you say no to an offer that in the first year alone will most likely give you enough money to put your three children through college and over the contract will get you a level of comfort that two weeks earlier was unimaginable?

I have seen coaches come and go at UB.  Some left for greener pastures some were let go because of performance on or off the field of play.  I have seen Athletic Directors come and go, from being moved out because they were felt to not be the right person or for greener pastures.  This is 2019 and sports has been a business, and will continue to be a business, rather than fun and games for decades.

3 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

I read exactly what you wrote.  You were upset that some one who signed a "five year" extension (it was only really one extra year from the deal he signed a year ago) left less than two weeks later.  But you had no problem if he left after one or two years.  Either way he would have not "lived up" to his contract and statements.

How did the extension work out for me?  I m still breathing and supporting UB.  Seems it worked out well for me.  It also worked out for many people on this board as well.  It took, give or take an hour or two, about six hours before people were speculating on what the buyout for Oats was.  So apparently, people here were expecting Oats to leave.  You can look at the contract extension as a $250,000.00 donation to UB from Alabama on behalf of Oats.

If you are Oats how do you say no to an offer that in the first year alone will most likely give you enough money to put your three children through college and over the contract will get you a level of comfort that two weeks earlier was unimaginable?

I have seen coaches come and go at UB.  Some left for greener pastures some were let go because of performance on or off the field of play.  I have seen Athletic Directors come and go, from being moved out because they were felt to not be the right person or for greener pastures.  This is 2019 and sports has been a business, and will continue to be a business, rather than fun and games for decades.

Sports have always been a business. It’s nothing new 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dutchcountry7 said:

Screwed?  That is insane. Hodgson is showing poor character. He is acting entitled and attempting to extort the school. 

Seriously. Just because we hired oats because he was an assistant doesn’t mean we are at all obligated to keep doing the same thing. ADMA is going to hire whoever he thinks is the best fit whether it’s Hodgkin or not. As others have said I’m not happy about how it feels like Hodgkin is already trying to work for bama. We just had our hearts broken by someone we thought was dedicated to staying here. Hodgkin is already showing he isn’t dedicated and he isn’t even the coach. Bad start 

There is a lot to unpack in these competing threads, whether it is the search, whether Oats is a backstabber, Hodgson's character, recruits staying/leaving, etc.  Lots going on.

Can someone let me know whether Oats has had a reasonable interview with anyone from Buffalo or has thanked Buffalo for his time here?  You know...normal, typical stuff you do when leaving a place where you called home for the last several years.  I don't think he has and it bothers me.  It makes me think much less about him as a person, but then that would be my own fault for being fooled.  Who knew that he subscribed to prosperity theology.  We all thought he was Neo and he turned out to be Irsay.

By the way, CLEARLY Hodgson is gone to Alabama.  Heck...look at what Hawkins said in TBN " I chose [Alabama] because of Oats and (Bryan) Hodgson"

So...we need to get the best possible coach we can get at the moment...who will play with the upbeat, fast tempo style that has worked well these past several years.  If it takes a few days to get the right person, I am fine with that.  I am not as excited about someone of the names that have been bandied about here.  I think we can still continue to think outside the box here, but I doubt it will happen.  Hurley was outside the box and a GREAT hire.  Oats was an inspired choice because of the situation and it worked out.  We have to keep that momentum going.  Be Bold.

Go Bulls.

• Like 1

Obviously we don’t know the whole story or timeline of things but from an outside perspective and speculation it sure seems like Hodgson has had one foot out the door since oats left. Not the look you want if you’re trying to become the next coach here. Do we know for sure he flew down to bama with Nate?

50 minutes ago, lederh94 said:

I will say the lack of rumors of who is getting interviewed is frustrating....I need something to digest! The lack of media coverage sucks.

I'm doing my best.

I feel after Oats left, no one cares again within the Media (nothing new). 

I can report that Lanier is the leader of the group, but obviously, anything can happen during interviews/money.

Was told that UB has hired a search firm, as a public institution, we have to accept bids before selecting out a winner. 

Have heard Turner Battle will interview. 

Edited by Kevin

18 minutes ago, Kevin said:

I'm doing my best.

I feel after Oats left, no one cares again within the Media (nothing new). 

I can report that Laniethe r is leader of the group, but obviously, anything can happen during interviews/money.

Was told that UB has hired a search firm, as a public insution, we have to accept bids before selecting out a winner. 

Have heard Turner Battle will interview. 

Dream case Laniether and Battle come in with Battle being a coach in waiting.

48 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

Dream for who? Not my dream whatsoever.

Why hasn't Lanier been a HC since Siena?  I mean there are 350 HC jobs in D1 and he had experience (with Siena).  It seems as though his Asst/Assoc HC experiences were at strong places and the teams had success while he was on staff (Va, Fl, TX, TN).  You'd think with HC experience and prominent P5 program experience as an Asst/Assoc on name brand staffs he would have been attractive for many, many programs during that time.

What am I missing? 

At this point I doubt that Hodgson is on UB payroll. There hasn't been an announcement one way or the other, but this wouldn't be allowed if he were. I assume he's an assistant coach at Alabama who has or will interview at UB. Disappointing either way.

Just now, UB05 said:

Hahahahaha yeah Hodgson better not be our coach at this point. Hopefully it’s better than it looks (maybe UB already told him they’re moving in a new direction). 

I have it on good record he held players over the heads of Alnutt. I presume that didn't go well. I know this hurts for the people who dont want to think negatively ever, but how you can have him as your coach now is beyond me. It shouldn't be an option.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Kevin said:

I have it on good record he held players over the heads of Alnutt. I presume that didn't go well. I know this hurts for the people who dont want to think negatively ever, but how you can have him as your coach now is beyond me. It shouldn't be an option.

Not the best way to negotiate business, at least not how I would ever do anyway.  But hearing that doesn't surprise me. What else would he have to offer beyond that as compared with any other of the candidates? His experience is paltry in comparison. He was good at what his job as recruiter here, I will definitely give him that. He will have plenty to sell at Alabama, including Nate.

18 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Once I heard the "I can recruit" quote from him I started getting turned off to him getting the job.  You can be given a group of extremely talented players and lose a ton of games (see Tyrone Willingham).  If you can't coach it doesn't matter how you can recruit.

53 minutes ago, BullBoy said:

Really bad look for Hodgson. He is on UB's payroll and he is down in Alabama working for someone else.  I have no interest in this guy being my head coach.

He’s as big of a snake as Oats is