Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

The Search for a New Head Coach

Jeseph

32 minutes ago, Kevin said:

That’s not true. I can say that there are plenty of people that will give out the bits of information that they know.

just like how we got ahold of the 2.4m contract Oats signed, Lanier, it coach B news. 

So what are you getting from Alnut?

9 minutes ago, ButlerAlumDad said:

Sadly I think there' more of a chance of UB dropping D1 than there is of joining a FBS or P6 conference

I know MAC football is bad but come on....

12 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

Stop with the endless conference talk, please.

Back in topic:

I think that Caputo would be a great hire.

Edited by rma

UB will use - Parker Executive Search

from their offerings:

We understand the sensitivity and urgency of finding a coach or sports executive. That’s why we complete most coach searches in 10 to 14 days and can complete executive searches in four to five weeks.

We have a proprietary database with statistics on all of the industry’s professionals. This helps us find talent that is right for our clients.

6 minutes ago, Kevin said:

UB will use - Parker Executive Search

from their offerings:

We understand the sensitivity and urgency of finding a coach or sports executive. That’s why we complete most coach searches in 10 to 14 days and can complete executive searches in four to five weeks.

We have a proprietary database with statistics on all of the industry’s professionals. This helps us find talent that is right for our clients.

That’s a little reassuring

27 minutes ago, xDerekRx said:

Taking their time, doing their due diligence. I have no issue with this.

I agree a full fair and thorough search is required. Taking their time if it’s called for is fine too. But for Alnut to remain in a secured fortress without making any public comments is a terrible PR mistake. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ButlerAlumDad said:

Joseph is correct. IT'S NOT HAPPENING SO DROP IT!. No-one is running with bags of $$$ shouting... "UB UB UB". 

The potential to raise donations by many multiples is there. I’ve heard people who are in the know say that contributions during UB hoops recent success has risen significantly. My family was prepared to donate a substantial sum, which we never considered before. It’s the chicken or the egg question. Can you raise huge donations without a record of success? Or must you first show success that invests people to the point where they’re willing to donate? I think the answer is obvious. 

Here’s another question to ponder;  if it’s true that UB’s success over the last few years and the resulting positive coverage from coast to coast is worth “millions”, as reported to me by two senior athletics department officials, why cannot UB make a fraction of that commitment to do all that is necessary retain or hire a coach committed to the success of UB hoops?

10 minutes ago, UB85 said:

I agree a full fair and thorough search is required. Taking their time if it’s called for is fine too. But for Alnut to remain in a secured fortress without making any public comments is a terrible PR mistake. 

Look on the bright side. No serious leaks no transfers. Interviewing high quailty people from what we know.

1 minute ago, UB85 said:

The potential to raise donations by many multiples is there. I’ve heard people who are in the know say that contributions during UB hoops recent success has risen significantly. My family was prepared to donate a substantial sum, which we never considered before. It’s the chicken or the egg question. Can you raise huge donations without a record of success? Or must you first show success that invests people to the point where they’re willing to donate? I think the answer is obvious. 

Here’s another question to ponder;  if it’s true that UB’s success over the last few years and the resulting positive coverage from coast to coast is worth “millions”, as reported to me by two senior athletics department officials, why cannot UB make a fraction of that commitment to do all that is necessary retain or hire a coach committed to the success of UB hoops?

“worth millions” in marketing/advertising. It just means we’d need a substantial budget to get ourselves in front of that audience without the exposure. It’d be great if that translated into dollars in the actual program budget but it doesn’t.

1 hour ago, UB85 said:

When they say it was worth millions, they mean it would cost millions to get that much exposure if you paid for marketing. 

They don’t mean that millions of dollars rolled in from it. 

The hope is is that the exposure will lead to more money and higher quality applications but you don’t see that for a few years to know if the marketing spend was worth it. 

I’m sorry but how the hell was ButlerDad on an advisory committee for this university? He seems to only be here to bash any suggestion that UB, the largest and most comprehensive state university in arguably the most powerful state in the country, could possibly do better than playing in a conference with a bunch of 2nd tier Ohio schools and directional Michigan’s. I encourage everyone to always aim higher and ignore outside opinions like this. It may be far fetched and down the road but AAC is certainly not impossible by any stretch of the imagination. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

When they say it was worth millions, they mean it would cost millions to get that much exposure if you paid for marketing. 

They don’t mean that millions of dollars rolled in from it. 

The hope is is that the exposure will lead to more money and higher quality applications but you don’t see that for a few years to know if the marketing spend was worth it. 

True enough. But for it to be worth millions it must have a corresponding direct economic impact on the university. Just one more reason making a commitment to excellence is the only reasonable path forward. 

1 minute ago, UB85 said:

True enough. But for it to be worth millions it must have a corresponding direct economic impact on the university. Just one more reason making a commitment to excellence is the only reasonable path forward. 

No, that’s not true. 

You can spend million on marketing and get nothing in return.  Companies do it every day on products that are a bust. 

The “worth” is set by market rate for advertising to achieve the same reach and number of impressions. 

On 4/1/2019 at 8:47 PM, UB85 said:

First off - I really question your "in the know" people. Next, we are a State school subject to what Albany wants. Next is the UB Foundation group that would put $ to the medical school first. UB might get more applications due to it becoming known, though the school is already close to capacity. I was privy to the costs and budgets a few years ago and costs have increased since then forcing UB to drop sports programs. In case you missed my post, UB is 1 sport away from losing D1for some sports (those not in MAC). UB is in the MAC as it only requires 4 sports to be league members vs other conferences requiring 16+. UB was a good D1 program until the students said no sports money and UB lost D1 football. Basketball was D3. UB only gained D1 status again 30 years ago. Don't trash the MAC. The MAC only requires a member to field 4 sports; Football, Men's Basketball, Women's Basketball and Women's Volleyball. Most FBS leagues  require 16 teams  as a minimum including baseball and soccer for membership and some leagues are over 20. UB doesn't have the resources, students, interest or facilities to comply with the Big Boys. 

Edited by ButlerAlumDad
  • Like 1