Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

The Search for a New Head Coach

Jeseph

41 minutes ago, rma said:

Pass unless he's an assistant

Id say the same but the interesting chatter about the Buffalo job is fun. We've certainly raised our profile enough to get a lot of these twitter outlets to actually care about what we are doing.

11 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

I’m done with the whole Gonzaga of the East. The person who was going to lead us to becoming that is now in Alabama where Alabama will become the Kentucky of the South.

Gonzaga of the East is an aspiration...that's like saying I'm done being top 25 that was Oats' thing. Be done with the Blue Collar shirts. We're a University not a trade school.

11 hours ago, ed said:

ucla is a highly desirable job that has the resources to grab almost who ever they want, even if they already have a cushy job.  and even with their crappy years, they can recruit.  they don't have to have the same sense of urgency we do.  

UCLA has the resources to grab almost who ever they want, but they won't SPEND the resources on Athletics that's why they suck.

10 hours ago, BullBoy said:

Hodgson acted like a child during this whole event.. I wouldn't return his call either.

Neither an endorsement nor a denouncement of Hodgson, but I wouldn't make decisions based on emotion. Reminds me of when NIU told noted row enthusiast and alum P.J. Fleck to go elsewhere (because he had previously signed to be OC and then quit after a day to go NFL) worked out well for Fleck and WMU, not as well for NIU.

4 hours ago, Kevin said:

UB will use - Parker Executive Search

Alnutt was hired via Parker...so this was...expected.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MuchMany said:

This account is an identity politics troll farm, but... Googling Charlie Wilde Buffalo returns nothing. Anyone know his roots?

Pretty sure it’s a legitimate source. Supposedly run by an anonymous group of people in the basketball business. They have scooped a few coaching hires already this year and they’re followed by a lot of big basketball writers. They definitely don’t have inside info on every hire before it happens though so take it with a grain of salt.

1 hour ago, DooleyBull06 said:

I repeat I’m done with the Gonzaga of the East comparison. I’m also done with blue collar shirts. Those two things specifically were Nate Oats motivators. Nate Oats talking and selling points. Nate Oats branding. He’s no longer here. Time for a new coach and new motivational mindset and pitch to the public. New branding. That has nothing to do with being done with the top 25. The top 25 is not a Nate Oats thing. That’s an any and every coach thing. That’s all I’m saying. Not saying that I’m done aspiring to win games get to the big dance and go deep. 

Agree. I'm over the gimmicky garage attendant thing. Fine that it was a motivator, but it was Oats' motivator. Move on. As far as branding goes, I'm happy with a BULL, the proud symbol my former (student) school and present (faculty) employer, and with True Blue, the provider of energy and passion for current students. 

As for Hogdson, don't let the door hit you on the way to Alabama. 

22 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

I loved Turner as a player. I'm not sure I see him as our next coach.

It usually doesn’t end well when former players return to their Alam Mater to coach. Chris Mullin comes to mind. His time may be short. Patrick Ewing the jury is still out. A part of me wouldn’t mind Turner. When he was an assist here we had good guard play. No shocker there. 

The common thing that all the rumored candidates have is roots in Buffalo. I wonder if Alnutt thinks that might get a hire to stay a long time.

27 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

I loved Turner as a player. I'm not sure I see him as our next coach.

I feel like the UB job should be a bigger deal now.  This team was Top-25 all season and they are a recognizable basketball brand.  No offense to Turner Battle...just hoping for someone who brings some top-shelf experience here and an exciting up-tempo style.    I know Hurley and Oats were first time NCAA coaches at UB.  Not sure I want to go that route for this hire?  It's a tough call.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ChubbyHubby said:

My concern with Turner Battle is that he's bring the Reggie style of play back to UB. 

That. Im starting to get concerned about the fact we are still interviewing people. Eventually we need to stop and hire someone. Did all the others say no?

35 minutes ago, 961819 said:

Can we please keep this about UB and UB news. I really couldn’t care less about UCLA and their coach search 

Ok this thread has been purged of off-topic posts (as well as I could and yes, I included posts of my own). Back to the search!

If you want to carry on the side conversations, have at it: http://ubfan.com/bb/index.php?/topic/480-frustrated-ub-fans-talking-about-stuff/

• Thanks 2

Hey I was the first purge! Yay! 

Seriously though, I loved Turner Battle as a player but if he’s going to bring the 290th ranked pace of play than sorry but not interested. Alnutt taking his time, sure hope he makes the right choice here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, everlast2504 said:

That. Im starting to get concerned about the fact we are still interviewing people. Eventually we need to stop and hire someone. Did all the others say no?

Of the names mentioned, I'm hoping it's Fife. And he's locked up until there weekend.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, UB05 said:

Hey I was the first purge! Yay! 

Heh, I made the topic a bit more productive so you wouldn't get blamed for it 😛

2 minutes ago, UB05 said:

Seriously though, I loved Turner Battle as a player but if he’s going to bring the 290th ranked pace of play than sorry but not interested. Alnutt taking his time, sure hope he makes the right choice here.

Yea, between Reggie's offense and from the rankings at UAB I'm not sure he would be the right fit for this roster (and overall direction of the program's style of play).

• Like 1

I’m just going to stay hopeful that they land someone that will keep us from returning to average. The Buffalo roots thing makes sense but if someone fits the bill that doesn’t have previous ties to the city then by all means they should be interviewed

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bullions said:

Of the names mentioned, I'm hoping it's Fife. And he's locked up until there weekend.

Am I correct in the understanding that Parker can contact him on our behalf to at least see if it's a no-go?

1 minute ago, Jeseph said:

Am I correct in the understanding that Parker can contact him on our behalf to at least see if it's a no-go?

I believe so, since it wouldn’t be UB directly contacting him. The whole 3rd party loophole thing 

4 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

Correct.  That is one of the benefits of using a third party agency.   

They already know many of the coaches from previous conversations and have an idea of what those coaches are looking for. They will only bring candidates forward that are serious contenders.  Basically, Parker will bring a short list of finalists that are seriously interested in the job.