Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

The Search for a New Head Coach

Jeseph

17 minutes ago, admin said:

Looks like Parker is casting a wide net. I guess that’s what these search firms do. The other extreme is what Alabama AD did. He was a committee of one and went after his man. 

I prefer the wide net approach. They have a science behind their process rather than getting tunnel vision on one person who may not even be the brains behind their respective team’s success 

47 minutes ago, admin said:

Looks like Parker is casting a wide net. I guess that’s what these search firms do. The other extreme is what Alabama AD did. He was a committee of one and went after his man. 

He also had the luxury of knowing he was firing his coach and was doing all the legwork first. He had more names to move to if Oats didn't accept.

I posted it in the other thread but Im happy that Hodgson has moved on. No issues with him either way. We mostly speculate here on whats going on behind the scenes since last week but Im sure Alnutt talked to him behind the scenes.

At the start it was a nice knee jerk thought that they should give him the job but each day that goes by I like UBs patient approach and all the names that are being talked about much much more.

There are many simultaneous threads happening, but I think my post belongs in this one.

I was thinking about what we know so far.  We do know that Whitesell was quickly made interim.  We do know we lost out on Hawkins and another recruit left.

We know that while there has been mostly radio silence, some players have been posting things with themselves wearing UB gear.

Putting this all together, could it be that Whitesell was told to work to keep the current players and recruits in the fold, but do it in a way that is low key?  So maybe the AD and Whitesell are keeping the players informed,  and have encouraged them to keep it quiet as they go through the search process.

Meanwhile...the fans are kept in the dark since the most important thing is to keep the team together and find the right coach. 

Just thinking outloud

8 minutes ago, UB92 said:

There are many simultaneous threads happening, but I think my post belongs in this one.

I was thinking about what we know so far.  We do know that Whitesell was quickly made interim.  We do know we lost out on Hawkins and another recruit left.

We know that while there has been mostly radio silence, some players have been posting things with themselves wearing UB gear.

Putting this all together, could it be that Whitesell was told to work to keep the current players and recruits in the fold, but do it in a way that is low key?  So maybe the AD and Whitesell are keeping the players informed,  and have encouraged them to keep it quiet as they go through the search process.

Meanwhile...the fans are kept in the dark since the most important thing is to keep the team together and find the right coach. 

Just thinking outloud

I have heard that Whitesell is doing whatever he can to keep the players informed. He’s fighting fires right now.

He is obviously lobbying for a well deserved spot on the next coaches staff. I’d imagine coach Q is doing the same. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UB92 said:

Just thinking outloud

This. 100%. I'm sure as last time the players are part of the process as well. 

Yes on the player front, no news is great news. The longer we go, the better chance we have of keeping jeenathan, renaldo, Jordan and graves. Besides those names the other transfer seniors are key. I don’t think those transfer seniors will transfer again. 

Hopefully, the players are now starting to band together and getting the us vs them attitude. Actually having five graduating seniors probably helps tremendously. Since those guys can encourage these players to stay the course. We’ve been here before and we’ve had success in this exact scenario. 

On Whitesell: I think that tip about Charlie Wilde who I had to look up makes sense if Whitesell is kept as a head coach. Perhaps he’s brought in in the Hogdson role. 

So here is my theory: Parker is interviewing on two fronts. Seeing what kind of head coach is available and at the same time seeing what kind of recruiting coordinator/assistant is available. 

The best package might win. Not necessarily the best coach. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Luke Murray is Bills Murray's son, an assistant coach at Louisville. 

Luke Murray would give UB some free publicity over the years as his father has shown up a lot in the past supporting whomever he was coaching.  Also I love his hair line.

image.png.10721244dd4c3a314e9481842f6b58d9.png

Murray's Louisville profile quotes Chris Mack calling him a "superstar" and states he's been the lead recruiter for Xavier and Louisville. That's appealing.

And Bill Murray at UB games would make us forget the Blue Collar schtick fast. I'm really rooting for this now.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

Murray's Louisville profile quotes Chris Mack calling him a "superstar" and states he's been the lead recruiter for Xavier and Louisville. That's appealing.

And Bill Murray at UB games would make us forget the Blue Collar schtick fast. I'm really rooting for this now.

Just change them out for Kaki jumpsuits. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, BasketBull said:

I love the idea of Luke Murray. Definitely not a guy I'd expect to stick around if he has success but I think he'd be a great hire. 

As much as we want somebody to stick and it should be mentioned during the interview process we need to hire somebody who is ready to win, and win now. We'll worry about departure when we get there.

• Like 2