Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

The Search for a New Head Coach

Jeseph

24 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Might have gotten an intro call or something. 

Reading his bio on Boston college's web site he has a good amount of experience. Has been on successful mid major programs including time in the Mac with Ohio but bc has been a disappointment while he has been there.

1 minute ago, Tee4three said:

Reading his bio on Boston college's web site he has a good amount of experience. Has been on successful mid major programs including time in the Mac with Ohio but bc has been a disappointment while he has been there.

I mean I'd argue that the staff at BC should be let go. No one out of that program should be getting raises. 

He was also really bad at TCU. 

43 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Now this is a profile: https://msuspartans.com/coaches.aspx?rc=617

certainly better than Fife, IMO. I'd rather take the super successful associate head coach

Stephens has a really good profile. The article states hes almost too laid back of a guy to push himself to a job. Izzo even calls him not a good enough bullshitter lol. Not to rope Oats into this but seems like the opposite of Stephens. And I don't even mean that in a negative light for Nate, since day 1 I thought he had that great motivator, bullshitter, salesman vibe (probably why none of the recent stuff he did moved the needle much with me). 

But Stephens could be quite the get. All he knows is success.

I also like the bit about how MSU never gets Top 20 recruits, but constantly succeeds by finding the right guys, and Stephens finds them. This could make him a sneaky good recruiter at a mid major... someone who identifies the right fit instead of going just by how a player is rated.

I'm Ok with the search continuing.  Rob Lanier had a sub .500 head coaching record in college if I'm not mistaken.

Gotta keep reminding myself that neither Hurley or Oats had any NCAA coaching record when they were hired....and they did a great job.

8 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

GSU and UB are very similar programs.  He is probably more equipped to recruit the southeast anyways.  GSU seems like a good fit.

Maybe? Hunter was on the highest salary after being the best coach in the conference at 425k

MAC 8th conference, Sun Belt 17th

But yeah, as far as recruiting in the SE you are right. 

Edited by Kevin