Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

The Search for a New Head Coach

Jeseph

2 minutes ago, everlast2504 said:

We need to get a Coach in place soon. We could stop this and maybe pick have a few of these guys re-commit.  Maybe even a press leak if the guy is still coaching a team playing basketball.

Whitesell is doing his best but wtf is he supposed to sell these kids on? I love UB but what exactly keeps them here until we have a coach named?

This sucks.

40 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

I know this process with Parker involves confidentiality but if we've got a short list it would be smart to strategically leak it IMO.

A "sources close to the program have stated the the head coaching position at Buffalo will come from a final four team. The new coach will be signed Tuesday at the latest." Would do wonders right now. 

THE ABOVE STATEMENT IS COMPLETELY MADE UP

Edited by everlast2504

Some more names from Final 4 teams that haven't been mentioned:

Ira Bowman (Auburn) https://auburntigers.com/coaches.aspx?rc=183&path=mbball

Glynn Cyprien (TTU) https://texastech.com/coaches.aspx?rc=2156&path=mbball

Orlando Vandross (UVA) https://virginiasports.com/coaches.aspx?rc=51&path=mbball

All have ties to recruiting within their program. Other coaches not linked are either long-term assistants or graduates of their current program.

IDK I'm fishing but I think I'm working faster than Parker so....

9 minutes ago, everlast2504 said:

A "sources close to the program have stated the the head coaching position at Buffalo will come from a final four team. The new coach will be signed Tuesday at the latest." Would do wonders right now. 

Who is this from?

Building a list with @Jeseph

Orlando Vandross - Virginia

Glynn Cyprien - TTU

Ira Bowman - Auburn

Dane Fife - MSU

Dwayne Stephens - MSU

Who do we have now? 

11 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Who is this from?

21 minutes ago, everlast2504 said:

I believe he meant that statement as a hypothetical.  It hasn't actually been said, but would be reassuring to all of those paying attention if someone could make that statement.

Edited by ubxcretired

4 minutes ago, ubxcretired said:

I believe he meant that statement as a hypothetical.  It hasn't actually been said, but would be reassuring to all of those paying attention if someone could make that statement.

Ah, makes sense. This was not how I read it initially. A little too desperate for good news I guess.

I think some are reading too much into "how long this is taking." Oats resigned 9 days ago. The public bidding for Parker took until this Monday I believe? So the search has been on in earnest 4-5 days. It could be that a Final Four coach is in the mix, but I don't think that's the only explanation for taking time. It really hasn't been overly long.

It's unlikely that, short of a really prominent hire, we were going to keep our recruiting class together. And if our new coach likes a recruit still, he can reach out and we already have a head start. Meanwhile, Whitesell and Quarles deserve credit for stabilizing the guys on the roster from what we can see.

We've heard some young, dynamic P5 assistants mentioned as candidates. One of them can keep us at the top of the conference using their skills and Rolodex to build off our recent success, burgeoning brand, and geographic advantage within the MAC.

I remain confident in Alnutt and I imagine we'll hear something no later than Monday or Tuesday if we want to wait until the National Championship news passes.

Another random maybe because I need to keep myself busy while the sky is falling:

Luke Yaklich (Michigan) https://mgoblue.com/staff.aspx?staff=3672&path=mbball

You heard it here first: Coach Yaklich snuck into Buffalo with the Beilein family during the Niagara announcement and interviewed with Buffalo. They're doing a follow-up this weekend to lock everything in.

If I'm wrong I will delete this and you did NOT here it here 😄

14 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

I think some are reading too much into "how long this is taking." Oats resigned 9 days ago. The public bidding for Parker took until this Monday I believe? So the search has been on in earnest 4-5 days. It could be that a Final Four coach is in the mix, but I don't think that's the only explanation for taking time. It really hasn't been overly long.

It's unlikely that, short of a really prominent hire, we were going to keep our recruiting class together. And if our new coach likes a recruit still, he can reach out and we already have a head start. Meanwhile, Whitesell and Quarles deserve credit for stabilizing the guys on the roster from what we can see.

We've heard some young, dynamic P5 assistants mentioned as candidates. One of them can keep us at the top of the conference using their skills and Rolodex to build off our recent success, burgeoning brand, and geographic advantage within the MAC.

I remain confident in Alnutt and I imagine we'll hear something no later than Monday or Tuesday if we want to wait until the National Championship news passes.

We can't say what a job Coach Q/Whitesell have done yet. 

We could lose any of the final 8 at any time. 

1 minute ago, Kevin said:

We can't say what a job Coach Q/Whitesell have done yet. 

We could lose any of the final 8 at any time. 

Sure, that's why I wrote from what we can see. Other programs have kids in the transfer portal the day a coach splits town. The worst case scenario may still play out, but I respect the work I imagine they're doing.

1 hour ago, Jeseph said:

Another random maybe because I need to keep myself busy while the sky is falling:

Luke Yaklich (Michigan) https://mgoblue.com/staff.aspx?staff=3672&path=mbball

You heard it here first: Coach Yaklich snuck into Buffalo with the Beilein family during the Niagara announcement and interviewed with Buffalo. They're doing a follow-up this weekend to lock everything in.

If I'm wrong I will delete this and you did NOT here it here 😄

Yacklich would be an excellent hire and I think you’re right about him being in the running.

coaching changes listed coaches in the running with an additional mystery coach “with the same first name as one of the other people mentioned in the last Buffalo tweet”: 

Luke Murray was one of the coaches mentioned, so there’s a solid chance Luke Yacklich is who he was referencing.

I’d be really happy with either Luke.

My concern with this delay (and specifically waiting for the Final 4) is say we're in on a coach from a remaining team... We better be sure that they're going to sign. Waiting this long to go back and hire a coach we could have had Wednesday would be frustrating from a recruiting standpoint.

1 minute ago, Jeseph said:

My concern with this delay (and specifically waiting for the Final 4) is say we're in on a coach from a remaining team... We better be sure that they're going to sign. Waiting this long to go back and hire a coach we could have had Wednesday would be frustrating from a recruiting standpoint.

It would also be a PR disaster. Theres 2 reasons I can think of that making this take this long.

1. Future Coach is coaching on a final four team

2. The whole Oats/BH leaving the way they did creates a few legal issues, that needed to be cleared up first. 

I'm hoping it's one 

5 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

I would imagine that if we were waiting we would have some under table agreement in place. I agree last thing we want is a Josh McDaniels situation.