Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

The Search for a New Head Coach

Jeseph

No interviews.  Hire Hodgson today.  He will likely be able to keep most of the team + recruits together. The same exciting brand of basketball. Doesn't need to win over the locker room and continues the lineage of hiring within in the same fashion that Gonzaga did to become who they are.  Hodgson is from WNY and in the time to come it success follows having your whole life here it becomes a much longer long term destination.  

Onward and upward!

• Like 4

This is a huge gut punch. I absolutely hate that this keeps happening to us. It is really hard to not get disheartened with all of this. I'm afraid that Segu and Williamson will go and some of our commits from this year might jump ship too. I really hope I'm just deflated from all this and that won't happen, but it's not easy to stay positive.

I also really want to have Nate with all his positive talk about staying in Buffalo and loving the community. However he has done so much for us, so I really am fighting to just wish him luck.

A lotttttt of pressure on ADMA.

The ADMA resume:

• Inherited the best combined season of FB-MBK-WBK in UB history and it's not even close.
  • He inherited a fieldhouse. 
  • He signed Oats.
    • He failed to retain Oats

His biggest accomplishment is now taken away, so this hire is everything. (Unless he uses bulletpoint 1 and bulletpoint 2 to get out of dodge once AD jobs start opening up in May)

2 minutes ago, BasketBull said:

Battle deserves a jersey in the rafters but I’m sorry I don’t want him in a suit on our sideline. It isn’t his fault but returning to the Reggie well would feel like 3 steps back now.

They put the guy to wear 11 before him up in the rafters sadly

Hodgson or bust in my opinion.  I fear anyone else will cause the roster to fall apart and then we're back at square one.  I see a lot of similarities between us and Middle Tennessee last year.  Senior heavy team, at-large contender, HC goes to the SEC, then they hire an outsider, lose some players (including our own Antwain Johnson) and recruits, and then they tumble down to 247 in KenPom.  It doesn't take long to fade back to irrelevance in the mid-major landscape especially with our fan base just really starting to grow.  I'll cheer for whoever and I'll feel bad if Whitesell gets leap-frogged but Hodgson has the most potential to keep the team together and being a WNY kid maybe he will choose to stay if he continues the success.

Edited by trueblue32

Hodgson is a mistake in my opinion.  He doesn't have the basketball IQ to be a head coach.  While he can recruit, we need someone who knows how to manage a basketball game and get results on the floor.. Jim Whitesell is a no brainer.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mikescherrer8 said:

All these lies of him building Gonzaga of the east of distilling false hope into so many people. The university was coming around to build this thing and we are back to square one. Wow.

Square one!?  Absolutely not.  We are a mid-major that has been successful through two consecutive coaching stints. You nail one more and you are getting very close to leaving the dreaded stepping stone mid major job territory.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

What do you have to back this lol

What do you have to dispute it?

Everyone talks about him being a recruiter but I have never heard anyone say anything about him developing talent or planning for games.

My understanding is that he was basically the only recruiter and spent most of his time away from practice out on the road recruiting.

For what it’s worth, Hodgson has liked tweets calling for UB to hire him as Oats successor. Good news for those who would like to see him take the reigns. It wouldn’t surprise me if Oats is waiting to see if he gets the job before bringing him to Alabama. The questions are: how many of our guys would he be able to keep, and how are his x’s and o’s on the court?