Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

The Search for a New Head Coach

Jeseph

I have this weird optimism if Hodgson gets the job.

Its most certainly related to how well the Hurley exit lead to better things by retaining Oats so fast. 

I know its like what are the odds it could happen a 2nd time, but why not? Ever since Hurley this staff has bread success.

20 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

What do you have to dispute it?

Everyone talks about him being a recruiter but I have never heard anyone say anything about him developing talent or planning for games.

My understanding is that he was basically the only recruiter and spent most of his time away from practice out on the road recruiting.

My proof is he's paid to be a coach lol. The burden of proof isn't on me to disprove your completely random claim.  I have no idea how good he truly is.  Even if he's not a great Xs and Os coach 4 star talent like he's been pulling can win games in the MAC.  Keep Whitesell or someone similar with experience on the bench behind him.  Oats had the same role as him before becoming HC and it didn't seem to be a problem.

If Hodgson gets the job I am VERY optimistic about our future.  Coach was who done most of the recruiting (same as Oats did for Hurley), knows the team culture (no need to win over locker room) and no starting from scratch with an entirely new staff, recruits, playing style.  It is yet another step forward. Alnutt needs to continue to put trust in what he has built.  It is without doubt the best for both short-term and long-term success of this program. Always scary to hire a 1st time head coach, but this would also allow the program to utilize more resources as he will be significantly cheaper then an external hire.

• Like 1

Just now, verandaman said:

But will you respect her in the morning?  Nate got the notch in the belt...it's just business.  Never loved him.  Don't hate him.....

But we all know the one Churchill was talking about....just haggling over..

?

1 hour ago, hurley said:

Square one!?  Absolutely not.  We are a mid-major that has been successful through two consecutive coaching stints. You nail one more and you are getting very close to leaving the dreaded stepping stone mid major job territory.

Get ready for the transfer wire!

8 minutes ago, 961819 said:

?

Churchill: Madam, would you sleep with me for 5 million pounds?

Lady: Well, we would need to discuss terms...

Churchill: Would you sleep with me for 5 pounds?

Lady: $#@&, What type of woman do you take me for?

Churchill: Madam, we have already established that. Now we are merely quibbling over price.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

He’s paid to coach and by extension recruit. That extension is Hogdson. Who does the dirty work on the recruiting trail on behalf of coach. Coach is the closer.

He was paid to recruit so the rest of the staff could focus on the team.

He was the recruiting arm of the program and is a great one but there is a lot more to being a head coach. 

1 minute ago, dutchcountry7 said:

He was paid to recruit so the rest of the staff could focus on the team.

He was the recruiting arm of the program and is a great one but there is a lot more to being a head coach. 

We talking about Nate or Hogdson? 

Nate is the coach and brand that Hogdson goes out to sell to recruits. In season it’s hard for a coach to recruit therefore he has his recruiting arm Hogdson hit the trail. But Nate is the closer when it comes time. Hence on campus visits or in house visits. And I’m sure as coach Nate has a hand in recruiting. Especially in the off season.

Just now, DooleyBull06 said:

We talking about Nate or Hogdson? 

Nate is the coach and brand that Hogdson goes out to sell to recruits. In season it’s hard for a coach to recruit therefore he has his recruiting arm Hogdson hit the trail. But Nate is the closer when it comes time. Hence on campus visits or in house visits. And I’m sure as coach Nate has a hand in recruiting. Especially in the off season.

I am talking about Hodgson.

Everyone is saying he should be the head coach because he spent all the time out on the recruiting trail building relationships with recruits.  But he hasn't had any experience running a program or being a coach. 

3 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

I am talking about Hodgson.

Everyone is saying he should be the head coach because he spent all the time out on the recruiting trail building relationships with recruits.  But he hasn't had any experience running a program or being a coach. 

I think it's the classic Experience vs Youth Energy.

My assumption is whoever doesn't get the HC job goes to Bama.

My criteria is
1) Who has the best chance of saving the team tomorrow (Hodgson - if he's the recruiting grinder, i'd rather he grind for UB than Bama)
2) Who has the most upside (Whitesell - Hodgson's can go either way, so Whitesell's experience helps here)
3) Who do we have the best chance at retaining (Toss up: Whitesell is a journeyman, but he's 59 might be looking to finish his career somewhere rather than chase P5 at the first chance. That said, his whole career he never got a chance to go P5 so maybe he grabs the first offer he gets. Hodgson is from the area, so maybe he stays and builds a WNY powerhouse, or maybe he wants the P5 glory he didnt get as a player and leaves at the first offer)

My tiebreak goes to Hodgson. We've been D1 for 20 years, if a twelve-year old learned to love UB Basketball after going to the Sea of Blue I and II games would be 27 years old now. We have to start utilizing local talented guys. 

Alnutt said that we are now an attractive mid major program when it comes to coaches want to coach here. We will see how attractive we are. Does that mean we are no longer a school that needs to hire a first time head coach? Can we bring in a well know name? We will all see. At this point without knowing who is a candidate (internal or outsider) I can’t endorse one or the other. 

Edited by DooleyBull06
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Alnutt said that we are now an attractive mid major program when it comes to coaches want to coach here. We will see how attractive we are. Does that mean we are no longer a school that needs to hire a first time head coach? Can we bring in a well know name? We will all see. At this point without knowing who is a candidate I can’t endorse one or the other. 

I would love to see what good coaches with D1 head coach experience would be interested in UB. 

2 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Alnutt said that we are now an attractive mid major program when it comes to coaches want to coach here. We will see how attractive we are. Does that mean we are no longer a school that needs to hire a first time head coach? Can we bring in a well know name? We will all see. At this point without knowing who is a candidate I can’t endorse one or the other. 

...the proof is in the pudding.  Sell said Dooley

I would love to see what good coaches with D1 head coach experience would be interested in UB. 

What if you are a guy like Tim Miles...looking for a rebound job after being fired. Come to UB build back up your profile then move on in 3-5 years.

Not endorsing Miles just saying hypothetically. 

Edited by DooleyBull06

4 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

What if you are a guy like Tim Miles...looking for a rebound job after being fired. Come to UB build back up your profile then move on in 3-5 years.

Not endorsing Miles just saying hypothetically. 

There are many great basketball coaches fired from P5 programs each year.  The best part is that their old school pays half their salary.   I would look that route.

There are many great basketball coaches fired from P5 programs each year.  The best part is that their old school pays half their salary.   I would look that route.

The best part is that their old school pays half their salary. In other words, Hurrah! We can cheap it out again.

6 minutes ago, squire17 said:

The best part is that their old school pays half their salary. In other words, Hurrah! We can cheap it out again.

Cheap it out?

Maybe, reallocate that money to getting a practice facility or offering a budget to bring in buy games to get more quality games for fans.