Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

The Search for a New Head Coach

Jeseph

6 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

What do you think Alabama will offer him?  You will have to top that, at least.

What bearing does Alabama have on us paying and hiring whoever we hire? None. A first time head coach in the MAC will probably end up being the lowest paid coach in the conference. Around 300k with bonuses.

3 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

I assume a first time coach like Hodgson would be real cheap.

If UB wants to keep any of the recruits it has to be Hodgson and Whitesell staying and Alnutt has to act within the next day or two. Otherwise we will probably see a wholesale defection.

1 minute ago, John said:

If UB wants to keep any of the recruits it has to be Hodgson and Whitesell staying and Alnutt has to act within the next day or two. Otherwise we will probably see a wholesale defection.

I agree Alnutt has to move quickly. I said that in the recruiting thread. But we have to explore all options both internal and external. 

2 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

What bearing does Alabama have on us paying and hiring whoever we hire? None. A first time head coach in the MAC will probably end up being the lowest paid coach in the conference. Around 300k with bonuses.

I don't think you were following... If Alabama offers Hodgson an assistant coaching job, then we have to be competitive with that.  We are also in competition for other assistant coaching jobs.

3 minutes ago, John said:

Do you think Whitesell will stay to work under Hodgson?  I don't see that happening.

What a rough few days. Lose a big game in an ugly fashion, lose our great seniors, then lose the coach that made it all work. Dang. What a gut punch today. 

I feel like the UB job has moved beyond the point of hiring a new coach to cut his teeth here. This should be a destination job for someone proven at a high level.  I could buy into Hodgson only because he’s been here and knows all the players and incoming recruits. So maybe he could maintain what we have.  I could buy another flashy hire like Hurley or a Johnny Dawkins type. An up and comer who wants to prove themself but also has a name that people recognize and get excited about.  Otherwise I like the idea of a P-5 coach who wants another chance to prove himself  

2 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Coach B would come at 350k + bonuses. 

The team would be able to pay him for two years from the buyout alone. 

If UB is serious, why would it revert to 350k + bonuses? Or have I misunderstood? If UB truly wants to pursue the big time, diminishing the salary of the new coach sends the wrong message. It says, “ Hey, we need someone to run this team that we have to have because of the conference we’re in. We don’t really want this burden...but the conference is forcing us...hutt hutt 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, squire17 said:

If UB is serious, why would it revert to 350k + bonuses? Or have I misunderstood? If UB truly wants to pursue the big time, diminishing the salary of the new coach sends the wrong message. It says, “ Hey, we need someone to run this team that we have to have because of the conference we’re in. We don’t really want this burden...but the conference is forcing us...hutt hutt 

I mean how can you pay Hodgson much more? He's never been a head coach before. That's where Oats started after Hurley. 

I personally think you hire as big of a coach as you can, I'm one of the few that thinks you lose people anyways. Look at Oats when Hurley took over, they lost a ton of people and Oats rebuilt in JuCo (Hamilton, Kadiri, Connor) and with CJ

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MuchMany said:

Hodgson would slot into the 3rd or 4th chair, focusing on recruiting and culture building...sound familiar?

Very familiar. And yes I think if Hogdson isn’t the coach then why would he stay here. But we don’t know what kind of pressure Alabama’s AD has already put on Nate. Down there boosters run the program...they may not like Hodgson. They may have someone in their pockets they want in. It’s a whole other league there. We will see how it all shakes out.

5 minutes ago, squire17 said:

1) Hire the right person.
2) Offer the salary needed to get that person.

Anything else is irresponsible.

• Like 1

One thing for sure, in a couple years when UB is an 11 seed or whatever in the tourney, the NCAA will have ‘Bama and Oats sitting right there in the same pod.  

Saw some footage on Twitter of Nate and his family getting off the plane in Tuscaloosa this evening. So weird seeing that... and some fans lined up at the fence to say hello. It just seemed awkward.  Here one moment, gone in a flash.

13 minutes ago, promotherobot said:

LeMoyne has done well under him. In fact they gave us a game when we played the Dolphins. 

I don’t know when that was seeing as the only time that LeMoyne has played the Bulls since Pat Beilein has been their coach was this year: UB 89 LeMoyne 55

What's it even matter at this point, this sets back the program bad. And even if we get a coach who performs at the same level of Nate, they're just going to up and leave, and this is going to be the same pattern. It's all the same with every mid major coach who does well and jumps ship. It's absolutely demoralizing. I actually believed Oats when he had visions of building something here, the Gonzaga of the East. And it was all a sham. Back to square one it is. Hope we recover....

• Like 1