Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

The Search for a New Head Coach

Jeseph

15 minutes ago, Schmo said:

https://www.twitter.com/CoachDaneFife/status/1113990367731429376

Fife coming off as sort of an asshole here

I mean, he clearly didn't enjoy the conversation I was having with another fellow blogger. Nothing I said was false or attacking. 

I said I was nervous because Montgomery had a .350 winning percentage coming from MSU as an assistant. 

Just now, Jeseph said:

I don’t want a HC who is Twitter beefing during the Final 4

It'd be one thing if i was like super spamming his twitter handle or something. 

He searched out his name and read the conversation to attack my 3500 twitter followers. 

26 minutes ago, Kevin said:

I mean, he clearly didn't enjoy the conversation I was having with another fellow blogger. Nothing I said was false or attacking. 

I said I was nervous because Montgomery had a .350 winning percentage coming from MSU as an assistant. 

Way to piss off our future head coach lol. I joke I joke. 

But it’s interesting that he responded. Yea he was defending his boy but why was he even reading? Makes me think he’s digging around getting a feel for the fan base and such bc he could be our guy.

• Like 1

He has an alert for his name. Saw your post and how you belittled the work of a coach in the conference. 

Thats why coaches don’t want to work in the MAC. No respect despite doing a good job. 

If UB was in talks with him, he has been turned off. The attack did no favors. 

5 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

He has an alert for his name. Saw your post and how you belittled the work of a coach in the conference. 

Thats why coaches don’t want to work in the MAC. No respect despite doing a good job. 

But he’s not doing a good job.

Who cares about the MAC? What have they done for us? If this criticism of Montgomery turned him off to the job, I’m glad.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

Is that you coach Fife? 

He has an alert for his name? How do you know? Why was I the only person about MAC/Buffalo/coaching search, that he's answered at all about this?  It wasn't like he was tagged. I believe I just used his last name. 

Disrespect for a .371 coach who is on their way out? Fife then went on to say how difficult the job was. It didn't seem too bad for Hurley/Oats. Or for Keno Davis, Tod K,  Rob Senderoff, or Michael "predicted last" Hauger. Tell Hauger that it can't be done. 

Also, please tell me where I attacked him. "Fife make me nervous" is pretty far from an attack and if that's the soft skin that he has, oh my. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

Well you would be wrong there. You cannot set any setting on twitter to alert you whenever someone uses your name. You have to go out of your way to search for tweets where your name is mentioned. Not looking for an argument. Just saying

13 minutes ago, Kevin said:

I believe I just used his last name. 

Bundt used his full name. 

15 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Disrespect for a .371 coach who is on their way out? Fife then went on to say how difficult the job was. It didn't seem too bad for Hurley/Oats. Or for Keno Davis, Tod K,  Rob Senderoff, or Michael "predicted last" Hauger. Tell Hauger that it can't be done. 

Can you name a coach who has done better at NIU?  

Kind of strange thing to say about one of the two coaches to beat us in the greatest season in our history  

His whole point was that NIU is a tough place to win.  You completely misunderstood him. Not all MAC schools are the same.

In the last 30 years NIU has finished .500 or better only eight times. A quarter of those were Montgomery lead teams. 

20 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Also, please tell me where I attacked him.

You attacked Montgomery.  

2 minutes ago, 961819 said:

Well you would be wrong there. You cannot set any setting on twitter to alert you whenever someone uses your name. You have to go out of your way to search for tweets where your name is mentioned. Not looking for an argument. Just saying

You’re wrong.

There are third party tools that do this for you. 

Many PR firms, agents, and marketing companies use them to monitor their clients. 

6 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

You’re wrong.

There are third party tools that do this for you. 

Many PR firms, agents, and marketing companies use them to monitor their clients. 

Ahh yes yes how could I forget? PR firms, agents, marketing companies, and Dane Fife all use third party tools. Having this third party tool is absolutely vital to Fife and his capability to perform as a coach 

oh and actually, I’m right. I specifically said there is no setting in twitter to do this

Edited by 961819

1 minute ago, 961819 said:

Ahh yes yes how could I forget? PR firms, agents, marketing companies, and Dane Fife all use third party tools. Having this third party tool is absolutely vital to Fife and his capability to perform as a coach 

Sigh...

when I say “they use them” I mean that it is part of the offering of services provided to their clients by these types of entities. I know a fair number of individuals who have these alerts in place and most businesses do as well.

I thought it was common knowledge...

16 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

Can you name a coach who has done better at NIU?  

Kind of strange thing to say about one of the two coaches to beat us in the greatest season in our history  

His whole point was that NIU is a tough place to win.  You completely misunderstood him. Not all MAC schools are the same.

In the last 30 years NIU has finished .500 or better only eight times. A quarter of those were Montgomery lead teams. 

And BG is an easy place to win? It's the MAC. All of our resources are close. 

Hauger took a really badly predicted team and coached them to the finals, minutes from the tournament. 

We can make excuses for Montgomery all we want, but he's a season away from being gone and that has nothing to do with Kevin's comment to Mike Bundt. It's his job to figure out how to win in the MAC, and has done a bad job at it, including his weird mismanagement of all of German's legal problems. He should be off of any other team. 

16 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

You attacked Montgomery.  

So Fife has such thin skin that he needed to defend Montgomery instead of focusing on Texas Tech? Interesting. 

This thread is about OUR new coach. If I have the power to prevent someone from coming here, awesome. I'm glad I helped out.

Edited by Kevin

3 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

Sigh...

when I say “they use them” I mean that it is part of the offering of services provided to their clients by these types of entities. I know a fair number of individuals who have these alerts in place and most businesses do as well.

I thought it was common knowledge...

Sigh....

I’m not an idiot, I knew exactly what you meant. I just chose to point out how ridiculous it sounds.

Dane Fife is a basketball coach. He is not a business, nor does his name being tweeted have any reason for him to employ a third party service telling him things like “SpartansFan7 just tweeted that your hair looked really nice at the game tonight” 

i thought it would be common sense...

2 minutes ago, MillenniumBull said:

Fife absolutely sounds like a dick.  And Montgomery has done a horrible job at NIU.  There is no reason he shouldn’t be able to recruit Chicago.  Outside of beating UB, (his only accomplishment) there are athletes and talent there with no results.  

Agree and T. Williams are two really good recruits that wouldn't smell UB's old roster but NIU had no chance at. 

He did a horrible job. He kept German on his team after about 6 legal infractions. Moss was gone after 2. 

He has extra resources allowing him to keep his best player even after problems. I don't want any excuses. He is .371 in the conference, and that's just the truth. It does better for UB to have actual good coaches who win. Not defending bad ex MSU assistants. 

That exchange is absurd for an assistant coach and possible Bulls candidate to engage in. I can’t imagine why he would even be lurking unless he thinks he may be our guy.

How exactly does he think this will play regardless of where he winds up coaching? Hi- I’m Dane Fife. I quit my last mid major job because it was too hard to win at. I’m back at a P5 school, my comfort zone. Buffalo and other mid majors should settle for mediocrity because of the available resources. When we of Blue Blood heritage stoop to grace you with our coaching wisdom, you should be thankful for .500, if you’re so lucky. Oh, and by the way, I’ll engage fans in twitter throw downs- and not with relevant facts, but to make fun of the number of followers they have.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, dutchcountry7 said:

No respect despite doing a good job? What constitutes a bad job at NIU? Going winless?

That “attack” was mild- imagine the vitriol if he delivers Montgomery-esque results in Buffalo.

Personally after the whole twitter thing, I hope the hire is Stephens from Michigan State or Murray from Louisville. I know it’s unlikely that it will be Murray but they both have excellent resumés and I think they would both be ideal fits to keep the ball rolling here 

Edited by 961819
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, 961819 said:

Personally after the whole twitter thing, I hope the hire is Stephens from Michigan State or Murray from Louisville. I know it’s unlikely that it will be Murray but they both have excellent resumés and I think they would both be ideal fits to keep the ball rolling here 

I agree, and actually think it’s unlikely fife is in the running the way he got into it on Twitter. Feel like someone interviewing/ trying to get the job would be silent during the process. Who knows though

21 minutes ago, UB05 said:

I agree, and actually think it’s unlikely fife is in the running the way he got into it on Twitter. Feel like someone interviewing/ trying to get the job would be silent during the process. Who knows though

Maybe he was salty for not making the finals of the coaching search? 

Why would you put yourself in a bad light with UB people before even taking the job.,

23 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Maybe he was salty for not making the finals of the coaching search? 

On the other hand he might have a better offer lined up already.  I would be fine with him, not heartbroken if we don't get him.  Similar to how I felt about Lainer.