Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Money

squire17

9 hours ago, ButlerAlumDad said:

You obviously have no idea of travel costs. Airplanes, charter busses, hotel costs, travel with tutors, etc. Fans traveling down the street or even down the I-90 is different than fans traveling to Illinois or Iowa or Cinci. 

There were good showing of UB fans in Mobile, Alabama, Tulsa, Oklahoma and Storrs, Connecticut this year.  Not mention a nice contingent in Belfast, Northern Ireland.

So yes, UB fans travel.

40 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

There were good showing of UB fans in Mobile, Alabama, Tulsa, Oklahoma and Storrs, Connecticut this year.  Not mention a nice contingent in Belfast, Northern Ireland.

So yes, UB fans travel.

I’m pretty sure you were in Tulsa, as were we. How many legitimate UB fans would you estimate were there? Legitimate = spectators wearing UB gear. My guess is around 500, give or take a hundred. A decent turnout I’d say, given the distance from WNY and travel logistics.

2 minutes ago, sportscliche said:

I’m pretty sure you were in Tulsa, as were we. How many legitimate UB fans would you estimate were there? Legitimate = spectators wearing UB gear. My guess is around 500, give or take a hundred. A decent turnout I’d say, given the distance from WNY and travel logistics.

Not sure it was that high, but they were loud and supportive of UB.  Only stayed for one game because I had to be back at work Monday, so I flew home and went o Storrs for the women.

Fan travel for tournaments and euro tours is very different than midweek regular game support. Not that an abundance of fans for support is always necessary, it adds to attractiveness of a team desiring to change leagues.  Example, Louisville at Syracuse had a few hundred Cardinals including 1/2 the parents of players. I don't think I missed more than 2 games while my son was on the Butler bench and I was ridiculed by a few for even missing those. People would say to my daughter who was 4 at there time, "you came to see your brother?" and she would reply, "no, I came to play with the doggy (Blue the Butler Bulldog mascot). Back in the late 50's there would be caravans of cars traveling for UB football when we played schools like Army,.Navy, Penn, etc. Pre Alumni Arena the Aud was jammed for college hoops which cost the area the Braves. 4 pro teams have tried the area waters since, all unsuccessful. The Bills and Sabres can draw from Canada and Rochester, UB can not. Due to UBs contract with Daemen and NCAA rules, cross border games won't happen though they've been proposed. There are some top Canadian schools that wanted to set up an annual series. They are now talking to Canisius and Niagara. 

1 hour ago, weareub46 said:

It would be tough/impossible to travel to games in places like UCF and Houston for most but I think anyone would be more inclined to take a road trip to a game @UCONN or @Cinci than any of the MAC schools 

UCF = Disney... easier to convince the family to let me go.

I think the American is an imperfect solution to the fact that our alumni base is more east coast than mid-west. Using LinkedIn Alumni I count 10,419 alumni in the AAC footprint if you don't count NYC, 35,866 if you do. I count only 3,315 for the MAC footprint. 

I did rough math on a AAC Basketball conference schedule vs the MAC, and I came up with AAC 46k more expensive...I rounded that up to 50k, mulitplied that by every sport minus Wrestling, and put 300k for football and came up with 900k.

Which, with the old AAC contract, would have left UB about 450k in the hole. With the new deal, we'd still come out +5.2 million.

4 hours ago, bull_trojan said:

I think the American is an imperfect solution to the fact that our alumni base is more east coast than mid-west. Using LinkedIn Alumni I count 10,419 alumni in the AAC footprint if you don't count NYC, 35,866 if you do. I count only 3,315 for the MAC footprint. 

I did rough math on a AAC Basketball conference schedule vs the MAC, and I came up with AAC 46k more expensive...I rounded that up to 50k, mulitplied that by every sport minus Wrestling, and put 300k for football and came up with 900k.

Which, with the old AAC contract, would have left UB about 450k in the hole. With the new deal, we'd still come out +5.2 million.

That is assuming UB would get a full share immediately and did you calculate a smaller slice as the pie would be split up more ways?

6 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

That is assuming UB would get a full share immediately and did you calculate a smaller slice as the pie would be split up more ways?

No I actually didn’t count trips to UConn as I see a UConn exit as our most likely path in...

It’s a dilemma but there is no real honest principled reason to give a new team a smaller share. I’d reject any offer to join a conference that wouldn’t give a full share immediately 

19 hours ago, bull_trojan said:

except we don't field teams in all the required sports. No baseball, now soccer. 

17 minutes ago, ButlerAlumDad said:

apologize I was thinking ACC not AAC. UB is down to 14 total sports and only 6 mens sports failing to meet any FBS Conference requirement

UB has 16 teams.  Indorr and outdoor track are considered different sports, but are not listed separately on the website.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ButlerAlumDad said:

apologize I was thinking ACC not AAC. UB is down to 14 total sports and only 6 mens sports failing to meet any FBS Conference requirement

Pack it up folks, UB kicked out of FBS. You heard it first here

1 hour ago, ButlerAlumDad said:

Ah my math was very rough but should be 50 x 11 sports treating men’s and women’s xc, indoor and outdoor as one team... = 550 football = 300 wrestling is no change... cost +850k

Track possibly lower as, my niece ran indoor/outdoor at Cuse and they mostly ran in- the northeast outside of the ACC champs and the NCAA regional 

everything else in a conference change is subject to negotiation and a vote. UB would need to negotiate around all the “but what abouts” which means we’d need to be in a place where the aac needs is more than we need them, which I only see as possible if UConn leaves and espn Tells the aac to invite  ub

• Like 1