Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

How will Oats do at Bama?

How will Oats do at Alabama?  

58 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The SEC is a tough conference. Alabama will never top Kentucky. I think Oats will do well but it all depends on their adaministrations expectations. Being the 2nd or 3rd best team in the conference and making it to the NCAAs might not be enough. Major college basketball is a whole other league. 

Would we say that Hurley is doing well? I say he has underachieved. So can you imagine the shorter leash Nate is gonna have. He now has to win, win quickly and often. There’s no room for down years. Just ask Avery Johnson.

I think (like Hurley) he will have to deal w the fact that every SEC program has amazing athletes and he won’t win by being the most athletic team on the court.  You could definitely dominate the MAC that way, but not the SEC.  so it will be interesting to watch ‘Bama hoops and see where this goes ..

I think he'll be able to turn them into a team that is in the NCAA tournament far more often than not and can make runs into the Sweet Sixteen/Elite Eight.  I don't think he (or anyone) will turn Bama into Duke, but from a career perspective he doesn't need to.  He just needs to take them from a middle of the pack SEC program to a firmly top half of the conference SEC team and that should be enough to get him in line for a gig at a better basketball school in 3-5 years.  

I never understood football school or basketball school. Look if you have the name, money, fans and prestige, it’s a good job. I honestly think Bama is a perfect job for an up and comer like Oats. He will do well. He’s a great coach. He’s a great guy too. 

I voted option 1 because I think the program will be in the top 25 each year. Maybe not national title, but I can see something like Virginia in five years. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, admin said:

I never understood football school or basketball school. Look if you have the name, money, fans and prestige, it’s a good job. I honestly think Bama is a perfect job for an up and comer like Oats. He will do well. He’s a great coach. He’s a great guy too. 

I voted option 1 because I think the program will be in the top 25 each year. Maybe not national title, but I can see something like Virginia in five years. 

If Buffalo somehow ends up playing them and beating them as the 16 seed then.. Well yes

I went #3. He's great but it's not a basketball school. ONLY possible saving grace is the AD was previously at Arizona, so he's plugged into basketball, so maybe he see's this as his priority outside of maintaining football.

But generally you can't out-perform your school's culture.

1 hour ago, mikescherrer8 said:

He's gone in 4 years. Great coach in the MAC, and he will get swallowed in the SEC, especially him being at a school that does not care about basketball the slightest. 

The big question is how is he going to recruit against the big boys. Avery Johnson and Anthony Grant had bigger name recognition than Nate and could not compete against the big boys. Sadly Nate will be laughing and enjoying life with the increase in salary but like so many other coaches if he loses his job will revert back to a lesser college or a mid-major and he will continue to live comfortably as fans like us have to suffer watching the roller coaster with all the ups and downs.

3 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

What would you expect from a football school whose ego is so inflated bc of the football teams success that they think all their sports teams are equal.

I wonder if Nick Sagan had to approve the hire??Alabama finished 9th out of 14 in the SEC. Their facility seats 15,000 and they had 13,000 per game last year. Did not find their attendance this year. Seen that four of their top players are transferring and Oats is supposed to be out recruiting!!!!  Even more important for Alnutt to hire a coach to keep some of our players and to find other players to come here. I know Hodgson does not have head coaching experience but all these coaches have to start sometime and no better time than now.

16 minutes ago, John said:

I wonder if Nick Sagan had to approve the hire??Alabama finished 9th out of 14 in the SEC. Their facility seats 15,000 and they had 13,000 per game last year. Did not find their attendance this year. Seen that four of their top players are transferring and Oats is supposed to be out recruiting!!!!  Even more important for Alnutt to hire a coach to keep some of our players and to find other players to come here. I know Hodgson does not have head coaching experience but all these coaches have to start sometime and no better time than now.

10,224 average this year. Average season price of $235... generating about $2.4 million for this NIT level team...if he can pack the house that would generate 3.5 million and would make Oats a very reasonable expense

Edited by bull_trojan

2 minutes ago, John said:

Alabama finished 9th out of 14 in the SEC.

Avery Johnson was hired at Alabama at the same time we hired Oats.  They both served four years.

Avery was a failure while Oats was a hero.  But Alabama is paying big money and expecting to be at the top of the SEC.

Compare the KenPom ratings for the last few years (and the standing in the KenPom rating among SEC teams):

Buffalo (Nate Oats)
2016 - 138 (13th)
2017 - 122 (13th)
2018 - 67 (12th)
2019 - 21 (6th)
MEDIAN - 94 (12th)
AVERAGE - 87 (11th)

Alabama (Avery Johnson)
2016 - 96 (11th)
2017 - 56 (6th)
2018 - 57 (9th)
2019 - 65 (8th)
MEDIAN - 61 (8th)
AVERAGE - 68 (8th)

If Oats puts teams together like he did for us, he will be fired.  He has to do much better.

8 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

Avery Johnson was hired at Alabama at the same time we hired Oats.  They both served four years.

Avery was a failure while Oats was a hero.  But Alabama is paying big money and expecting to be at the top of the SEC.

Compare the KenPom ratings for the last few years (and the standing in the KenPom rating among SEC teams):

Buffalo (Nate Oats)
2016 - 138 (13th)
2017 - 122 (13th)
2018 - 67 (12th)
2019 - 21 (6th)
MEDIAN - 94 (12th)
AVERAGE - 87 (11th)

Alabama (Avery Johnson)
2016 - 96 (11th)
2017 - 56 (6th)
2018 - 57 (9th)
2019 - 65 (8th)
MEDIAN - 61 (8th)
AVERAGE - 68 (8th)

If Oats puts teams together like he did for us, he will be fired.  He has to do much better.

There is a major difference between the MAC and the SEC. namely the athletic talent and ability from the 1st player to the last player on the team. Alabama has to become one of the top tier teams in the SEC not in the bottoms half of the conference. If he ever gets to that point then he will have to maintain that and if not he will be gone faster than when he came there.  The big question is will he be able to recruit the right mix of players and will he change his style of coaching strategy against these SEC powerhouses????

17 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

Buffalo (Nate Oats)
2016 - 138 (13th)
2017 - 122 (13th)
2018 - 67 (12th)
2019 - 21 (6th)
MEDIAN - 94 (12th)
AVERAGE - 87 (11th)

Alabama (Avery Johnson)
2016 - 96 (11th)
2017 - 56 (6th)
2018 - 57 (9th)
2019 - 65 (8th)
MEDIAN - 61 (8th)
AVERAGE - 68 (8th)

For context

Arizona State (Bobby H)

2016 - 93
2017 - 126
2018 - 49
2019 - 60
MEDIAN - 77 
AVERAGE - 82

Despite being +5 on Average ranking, Hurley got molly whopped by his successor, and has no real NCAA wins on his resume. Hurley got a raise, and did not get fired.

If I was to put a formula out there for coach success I'd say it would be:

1 - Sales ( With the exciting brand of basketball, sales should improve)
2 - Ranking Trend (As long as he's getting better every year, who cares about average?)
3 - Recruiting (Assume he'll continually bring in players)
4 - Ranking Average (gotta be at a certain competitive level with peers over time)
5 - Fan Sentiment (Assume fans will love Oats, we did)
6 - AD job security (it's Bama's AD's signature hire, he won't go with a quick firing)

Edited by bull_trojan