Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

FLJ Status/Updates

7 minutes ago, 121Merrimac said:

Great comparison, but... We Need a Tiebreaker!   (I guess FLJ’s actions provide us with one).  UB wins, 4-3!

Wonder if the Silver Bulls played a small part in the decision?  There's a significant contingent of supporters at WBB games now.  I'm sure Penn State has a similar group of supporters, but Silver Bulls seem to know and interact with the coaches/students at a personal level.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, rma said:

I wonder how much better of a job NO could have gotten if he didn't take Alabama.  Virginia Tech would have been a big upgrade, though no lake for his boat.  VT is a decent tier 2 team in the ACC, while Alabama is a bottom tier SEC team.

Penn State vs UB is an interesting choice.  I think there's some decent advantages to UB, but do agree that this seems to not be a "give me money, where do I sign?" transaction.

Location: Her son is in school at GW in DC, both BUF and SCE have direct flights.  Buffalo is 2 hours closer to mom in Syracuse. Advantage: UB, by a little

Program (Basketball): UB women's basketball in recent history is 100% FLJ.  Penn State has a lengthier history. Advantage: Penn State

Program (Overall): We can't compete Advantage: Penn State, by a lot

AD: I'm not sure of FLJ's relationship with ADMA, however I don't see why it would be anything but positive.  The Penn State fanbase is not happy with Sandy Barbour. Advantage: UB

Job Security: I am of the opinion that it would take a lot for FLJ to get fired at UB for performance.  Like 3-4 years at the bottom of the conference or 6+ years without a NCAA appearance.  Penn State might not be as forgiving. Advantage: UB

Salary: Penn State would roughly triple FLJ's salary. Advantage: Penn State

They told me anyone would leave if you tripled your salary though? 

1 minute ago, Kevin said:

I wouldn't, but I'm an idiot! I greatly do hope that Felisha and staff return. They have some work to do with a younger team after 2 large/strong graduating classes in a row, but I would have nothing but confidence in them getting the job done. We have become the "village" that she used to reference always and it has grown exponentially since she arrived. There are so many people who truly love her in this community and would be heartbroken if she was to depart.

4 minutes ago, Kevin said:

I did.  Maybe she's happy with what she has here and either will stay here forever or will be extremely selective as to where she goes if she goes.  If somebody tripled your salary for the same job with more resources (but higher expectations), would you leave your job?

10 minutes ago, rma said:

I did.  Maybe she's happy with what she has here and either will stay here forever or will be extremely selective as to where she goes if she goes.  If somebody tripled your salary for the same job with more resources (but higher expectations), would you leave your job?

That's an all relative question, at least to me. There's more out there than money in my eyes, and I do just fine with what I've got. I've never been offered that opportunity though, and I never will with my main job, so I'll never be able to test it out. I still say that there has to be a cut point where the "3x" money just gets absurd and you're just over the top. Going from a living wage to 3x that, such as Hodgson did (at least presumably) is a great bump. Going from where Nate was to where he is now, is near that "absurd" point as I referenced earlier. I do get it though, as it's not just a money move, it's a recruiting move, prestige move, and a chance to truly become a national icon at a "big school" like that. 

I just hope that FLJ stays and is happy to stay. She's excellent at what she does and has built something very nice here.

1 hour ago, rma said:

Wonder if the Silver Bulls played a small part in the decision?  There's a significant contingent of supporters at WBB games now.  I'm sure Penn State has a similar group of supporters, but Silver Bulls seem to know and interact with the coaches/students at a personal level.

I sent in my registration for Silver Bulls yesterday.  I wonder if I can get that wording added to my green shirt.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, rma said:

No, I’ve been offered close to that and I’ve declined for multiple reasons some of which you’ve listed

5 minutes ago, Kevin said:

No, I’ve been offered close to that and I’ve declined for multiple reasons some of which you’ve listed

I guess it very much depends on the person as well as the industry and job.  I'm sure the answer would lean more towards no in non-profits, government work, and charities, and more towards yes in sales and at corporations.

20 minutes ago, ChubbyHubby said:

I sent in my registration for Silver Bulls yesterday.  I wonder if I can get that wording added to my green shirt.

Maybe that's what did it? 😁

Another factor in not gong to the Big ten is that she has been there already and might not want to go back.

Also there are two other high profile jobs that are likely to open up.  One is Rutgers, where I believe C. Vivian Stringer will "retire" after signing day for "medical reasons"*  Although as far as Rutgers goes you do not want to be the person to replace Stringer, you want to be the person who replaces the replacement.  The other is North Carolina where the entire staff has been suspended pending an external investigation into how players have been treated.

* I use the quotes because I believe she is going to be forced into retirement rather than being fired for cause.  I think the fact that she is in all the Hall of Fame that she will be allowed to exit gracefully out of respect rather than being fired.

12 minutes ago, xDerekRx said:

Even when we were excited that she declined Penn State my first thoughts were she might be after a better job. I'm not well enough versed in the women's game to know which if these jobs is considered better than the other.

Penn State has been much better historically, and GA Tech just fired their last coach for possibly being abusive to players among other things. Though maybe that gives FLJ a longer leash there. She'd be an upgrade just by being herself at GT.

What's the deal?  I feel like people would be killing Oats if he were openly interviewing for an upgrade while still at UB ,,, It's got to be tough to keep the current players happy with this.. and not have potential recruits disillusioned by a possible coaching change.

Whats the red flag with FLJ?

Seems to me, schools would be foolish not to hire her.. I would think she would crush the interview process with her personality.

Seems like she was banking on leaving too, since they hardly have any kids signed here to play next year.

1 hour ago, BullBoy said:

Seems to me, schools would be foolish not to hire her.. I would think she would crush the interview process with her personality.

Seems like she was banking on leaving too, since they hardly have any kids signed here to play next year.

I'm sure she wouldn't agree but what's wrong with sticking around a while longer? Alnutt can afford to give her a bump in pay. Buffalo has a good rep now in women's ball. Reload and rebuild.

2 hours ago, zigo230 said:

What's the deal?  I feel like people would be killing Oats if he were openly interviewing for an upgrade while still at UB.

I completely expected both coaches to openly interview. It's their right to do so. If we want FLJ to stop taking interviews we can put that into writing as part of a new contract but until then we just have to hope that she's happy with her setup here in Buffalo.

2 hours ago, BullBoy said:

Maybe she is really looking for that "Dream Job" and not just another step up. 

4 hours ago, BullBoy said:

Penn State reportedly offered her the job.

• 2 weeks later...