Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Justin Hemphill

Maybe the new coach will look at him though he would need to change from a 5 to a 2/3 or small 4. He held Louisville's 5 star recruit totally in check and outplayed him when COH defeated Lawrence Woodmere last weekend. He has a few D2 offers, no D1s. Lots of upside IMO if a strong coach can tame his temper.

4 hours ago, skrabukes said:

Are you just a shill or crazy? He has no offers from anyone, yet UB should go after him? What has he done to show that he is capable of playing at this level? Summer and he are completely different types of caliber.

You might be right on that topic. If we hire a coach other than Hodgson that has no clue on recruiting for the MAC he can do what Reggie did. Bring in walkons and players no one else wants and the coach can use the excuse - it is hard to recruit players to UB!!!!!!

7 minutes ago, John said:

You might be right on that topic. If we hire a coach other than Hodgson that has no clue on recruiting for the MAC he can do what Reggie did. Bring in walkons and players no one else wants and the coach can use the excuse - it is hard to recruit players to UB!!!!!!

Dude,  you need to relax. You make it sound like someone stole your puppy and Hodgson is Batman and he's gonna save him. You're not in the interviews, you don't know who the returning players want, not do you know who is out there. Neither do I or anyone else on here. Let's just wait and see what happens before we cast judgment. We recruited players before Hodgson came along, and he along with others can do the same.

5 hours ago, skrabukes said:

Are you just a shill or crazy? He has no offers from anyone, yet UB should go after him? What has he done to show that he is capable of playing at this level? Summer and he are completely different types of caliber.

A good coach recognizes skill sets. Recruiting services are surprised he has no offers. As he never has played as a true 3 development is necessary. He has the defensive skills, drive and desire. Yes, coaches have talked about stashing him away at prep to learn positions. Doesn't Mack have a brother on UB Football though nowhere near the NFL stars skill levels? Watching him go up against highly recruited players and then earning MVP made him low-mid major worthy IMO. I also think his family got talked into the wrong AAU program. He was at RAP. If he played for CR, Castle or RENS he would have been noticed. Same for the local kids on CGE. At least Rice offered Julien. Ebuka has no D1 offers yet either though lots of interest.

5 minutes ago, ButlerAlumDad said:

A good coach recognizes skill sets. Recruiting services are surprised he has no offers. As he never has played as a true 3 development is necessary. He has the defensive skills, drive and desire. Yes, coaches have talked about stashing him away at prep to learn positions. Doesn't Mack have a brother on UB Football though nowhere near the NFL stars skill levels? Watching him go up against highly recruited players and then earning MVP made him low-mid major worthy IMO. I also think his family got talked into the wrong AAU program. He was at RAP. If he played for CR, Castle or RENS he would have been noticed. Same for the local kids on CGE. At least Rice offered Julien. Ebuka has no D1 offers yet either though lots of interest.

I'm not arguing over his skills, as I've never seen him play, but someone with no offers who "needs development" at a 3 going to a top 25 team is the best choice for both him and ub? Granted, UB lost 5 seniors, and we'll see how many other openings are available,  but at this very second, UB needs a big or two (since no hawkins or allen), not a developmental 3. 

41 minutes ago, ButlerAlumDad said:

Doesn't Mack have a brother on UB Football though nowhere near the NFL stars skill levels?

It's different when your brother is lighting up Twitter and the school has millions of reasons to make him happy.

It's also different to waste a scholarship when you have 84 other scholarships to give.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skrabukes said:

I'm not arguing over his skills, as I've never seen him play, but someone with no offers who "needs development" at a 3 going to a top 25 team is the best choice for both him and ub? Granted, UB lost 5 seniors, and we'll see how many other openings are available,  but at this very second, UB needs a big or two (since no hawkins or allen), not a developmental 3. 

Then someone needs to keep John Orogun (2020) in contact. Too bad they pulled the offer for Joe Jones (Greg Oden's brother).Sad to say, though UB finished for the 1st time as a top 25 team, its nowhere near a top 25 program. 

1 minute ago, ButlerAlumDad said:

Then someone needs to keep John Orogun (2020) in contact. Too bad they pulled the offer for Joe Jones (Greg Oden's brother).Sad to say, though UB finished for the 1st time as a top 25 team, its nowhere near a top 25 program. 

You think Joe Jones could qualify academically to get in/stay eligible at UB?

Just now, ButlerAlumDad said:

on the men's team. His only recent offer is Detroit. He still holds a few others I believe.

I believe I said academically? I don't know what Detroit or other offers has anything to do with my point about academically qualifying or staying eligible once arriving.

26 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

I believe I said academically? I don't know what Detroit or other offers has anything to do with my point about academically qualifying or staying eligible once arriving.

sorry my sarcasm didn't come thru. I believe he's academically eligible. Could he stay eligible? on the men's side (bottom 10% GPA in the NCAA Tournament)? Yes, on the women's side (top 10% GPA in the NCAA Tournament)? No! If he's in WNY his mom will keep on top of him about grades as will his aunt!. I'm certain of that.

4 minutes ago, ButlerAlumDad said:

sorry my sarcasm didn't come thru. I believe he's academically eligible. Could he stay eligible? on the men's side (bottom 10% GPA in the NCAA Tournament)? Yes, on the women's side (top 10% GPA in the NCAA Tournament)? No! If he's in WNY his mom will keep on top of him about grades as will his aunt!. I'm certain of that.

I was unaware of those academic stats for UB bball teams. Where does one find those?

3 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

I was unaware of those academic stats for UB bball teams. Where does one find those?

NCAA publishes them privately and they are allowed to be released., There's a reason I wasn't specific as to where they ranked. I believe FLJ has quoted the placement for the women. UB men has used the excuse for the poor graduation stats because of JUCO and transfers out of the program. 

19 minutes ago, ButlerAlumDad said:

NCAA publishes them privately and they are allowed to be released., There's a reason I wasn't specific as to where they ranked. I believe FLJ has quoted the placement for the women. UB men has used the excuse for the poor graduation stats because of JUCO and transfers out of the program. 

here's last years overall link: the new report will be issued around May 1 after all seasons conclude. this is overall not specific for tournament teams... (As a member of the press, I receive releases marked Embargoed until XXXX) 86_2017_apr.pdf?v=1553997990887

5 hours ago, skrabukes said:

Going to a top 25 team... Can't live in the past. Move on.  

11 hours ago, ButlerAlumDad said:

I like how you used the all sports measure and not their ranking in men’s b-ball.  So your telling me our basketball teams gpa is lower than NYU’s fencing team?  You don’t say!