Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Army @ UB - Sept. 29 - 12:00pm (CBSS)

admin

2 hours ago, verandaman said:

Losing doesn't normally get you votes under any circumstances.   To me the bigger question is, why is North Texas getting more love than UB?  Yes, they beat a bad Arkansas team...and UB beat a bad Rutgers team...the MAC needs more respect; and it will come with more UB wins!

Army got more points in the Coaches than UB did.

So, we probably won't break the attendance record set when Syracuse visited.

That's too bad.  

If we keep Army to less than 280 yards rushing, we win.  If they get between 280-310, it's a toss up.  If they get over 310, then they win.

Prediction: UB 26 - Army 17 
Can't have any turnovers in this game.  That's true for all games, but especially true against Army because the offense can't get on the field when they have the ball for 10 minute drives and the defense gets totally gassed.

There were just south endzone tickets a while ago but those stands are pretty massive. That's a ton of seats to fill. People will still show up at gametime to buy a ticket but sellout or not, there should be a great crowd there that we haven't seen in years. I'll take it. 

Keep winning and our average attendance for the year will be drastically improved. Get people on the bandwagon 

This is the second time I can recall we've had a huge opportunity to grab more fans and attention into this program and threw up a dud.  The first being the 2013 game at the Ralph against BGSU where the winner would go to the MAC title game.  And today.  4-0 team, quality opponent, pretty full stadium, beautiful day.  And it started so well - a quick TD drive, then a turnover.  Credit to Army - they are a good, solid team that does what they do very well.  The Bulls seemed to lack focus and sharpness today.  I can really tell how they were missing Johnson out there because his presence forces the defense to shift around.  The defense simply could not get stops on third down to get them the ball back.

Can someone enlighten me, who calls the plays - Leipold or Kotelnicki?  Because yet again, there were some baffling ones.  For instance, their penchant for whenever they get the ball inside their 20 to start, or especially with a penalty, he runs the ball a couple times and punts.  Which today, writing off a series against a team who can control possession, when you have a QB with a cannon of an arm and plenty of weapons, was a disastrous maneuver.  Oh and some of those doozies in the red zone.

Leipold - why are you calling timeout down the stretch, then when you get the ball, you're just handing it off.  Either put in the backups, or freaking go for it.  I still can't shake the feeling at least a couple times a game that they're winning (not today) in spite of him.

Thank you to so much of the UB and Buffalo community for coming out to the game today, it was disappointing that the team didn't put its best foot forward.

• Jeseph unpinned this topic

Having attending previous high attendance home games like Syracuse, Baylor, Pitt, and so on, I thought that I'd mention that it seemed to me that yesterday's crowd differed from those in a potentially significant way.   In previous big games, while people were cheering for UB, I got the feeling that they were there as much to witness "big(ger) time" college football or maybe even to see our opponent.  We know that Army has fans everywhere and they were well represented yesterday, but based unscientifically on what I saw of fans wearing UB swag and what I observed of their knowledge of our players, etc. I thought this crowd was there to see UB and were, in fact, Bulls fans.

I concur with the sentiments of disappointment about the missed opportunity to potentially grow the local fan base, but I took yesterday as a sign of progress and something to continue to build on.    

It was a beautiful weather day and a brand name opponent, along with an exciting 4-0 Bulls team.   It was really the perfect storm for a big crowd.  I think there's a sizable group of locals that attend one Bulls game a year (and there's nothing wrong with that).   Based on the factors above, this was the game.  Win or lose those once a season folks would probably not be back for a second game this year.  People have kids and Saturday activities, etc..   

I don't think the crowds for Akron, Miami or Kent St. will be anything close to this, but hey, maybe the student body and alums can lend more support for the later season games.   

I think people were not paying attention to how good Army is this year and how much the styles contrast between the teams.

Army's schedule made their record deceiving.  They are tough and played a tough scheduling coming in.  

These are the teams Army has played and those team's current records:  Duke (4-1), Liberty (2-2), Hawaii (5-1), Oklahoma (5-0), Buffalo (4-1).

Nice to see a good crowd.  But looking at the box score attendance it is amazing how little the game to game attendance figures fluctuate even when the crowd is visibly different. 

Play calling was atrocious. Guess which team had more YPC until mid 2nd half? UB.  Going against a team that wants to hold the ball and has a defense that used to playing <20 minutes a game, oh and weighs about 50lbs less then you on the line.  And your top WR is out, and you keep throwing the ball?  Like Lance, but don’t know what he was thinking.