Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Post-Oats Discussions

UB05

Questioning his parenting skills is too much.  I don't believe he did anything he didn't think was the best for his family.  Of course she's going to be upset right of the bat, something similar happened to me when I was younger and I remember feeling the same way the day that I found out.  I turned out okay.  Everyone loved Nate for 6 years and now he does what's best for him and everyone wants to assassinate his character.  Not meeting with the players is the only thing that I've seen that could've been handled better but there's still players congratulating him on social media.  I'm sure we don't know all the circumstances.  He gave us 100% while he was here and didn't drag UB's name through the mud on the way out like Hurley/Evans did.  I'm not sure what else people wanted from him.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

Questioning his parenting skills is too much.  I don't believe he did anything he didn't think was the best for his family.  Of course she's going to be upset right of the bat, something similar happened to me when I was younger and I remember feeling the same way the day that I found out.  I turned out okay.  Everyone loved Nate for 6 years and now he does what's best for him and everyone wants to assassinate his character.  Not meeting with the players is the only thing that I've seen that could've been handled better but there's still players congratulating him on social media.  I'm sure we don't know all the circumstances.  He gave us 100% while he was here and didn't drag UB's name through the mud on the way out like Hurley/Evans did.  I'm not sure what else people wanted from him.

Agreed. As dismayed as I am and as much as I don't think the whole thing was done in the manner that I would've expected from him, it's not our place to say anything about his family.

55 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

Any update on this cryptic message?

Sorry.  I worded that wrong.  I didn't mean for it to sound as though there was any wrong doing.   If someone follows her on twitter, it would be great if they could post what she wrote on this thread.  It seemed like a bit of a shot at Nate for the way he handled things.  As always, she was very pro-UB in the post. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zigo230 said:

So when are we getting some word or leaks about a new coach?  Feels like teams around us are moving fast.

Where's our invite to the AAC or B1G?!?  

Don't plan on UB changing conferences. That requires $$$ and the State will not approve. UB is an Academic Institution as are all SUNY schools. The Big East has all private religious schools except Butler that (except this year) adds revenue to the conference from NCAA appearances including some Final Fours. UB's hope is the A-10 and that's a long shot. Does anyone know what UB's MAC buyout is? 

38 minutes ago, ButlerAlumDad said:

Don't plan on UB changing conferences. That requires $$$ and the State will not approve. UB is an Academic Institution as are all SUNY schools. The Big East has all private religious schools except Butler that (except this year) adds revenue to the conference from NCAA appearances including some Final Fours. UB's hope is the A-10 and that's a long shot. Does anyone know what UB's MAC buyout is? 

AAC makes far more sense

But conference talk is premature all the way around. Its trending in the right direction and I think it will happen but not tomorrow.

2 minutes ago, xDerekRx said:

But conference talk is premature all the way around. Its trending in the right direction and I think it will happen but not tomorrow.

Yeah, try not going to happen for 10-15 years unless football and basketball is consistent year after year in both sports, especially football. So the talks about conference talks is beating a dead horse.

17 minutes ago, mikescherrer8 said:

Yeah, try not going to happen for 10-15 years unless football and basketball is consistent year after year in both sports, especially football. So the talks about conference talks is beating a dead horse.

Just keep in mind several conferences are renegotiating TV deals in the next 3 years, including the AAC and Big 12. If the AAC loses schools then our door opens, if we decide to go through.

Sounds like from the article

- Oats turned down other offers before getting this one ON MONDAY

- A long conversation with family was needed

- Oats and family were attached to the area

- The place where his wife beat cancer was not lost on them.

We'll never know the 100% truth of what goes on in Oats mind, but this article is more in line with how I feel this really went down. Not as snakish as people want to think

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, xDerekRx said:

We'll never know the 100% truth of what goes on in Oats mind, but this article is more in line with how I feel this really went down. Not as snakish as people want to think

His agent, Rick Smith, wasn’t caught off guard by his client’s popularity. He’d already done some research on the Crimson Tide before Oats even called.

“He gave me all types of statistics,” Oats said, “what they were doing here, how much money had been raised, what the budget is for men’s basketball, all that. So, he did a lot of it before I even landed because the job’s open.”

- So his agent is just sourcing the open jobs in his free time? Agents won't spend a minute working something they don't think will happen.

- This is an Alabama propaganda piece anyways

I'll comment further when I hear UB's side of it, and plan to hear it from Mark Alnutt. 

52 minutes ago, xDerekRx said:

ha, now we're going to believe all the pr scrubbed, edited, friendly news articles that make everything sound better.  😄

8 minutes ago, ed said:

ha, now we're going to believe all the pr scrubbed, edited, friendly news articles that make everything sound better.  😄

I read that neutral and didn't take anything either way from it. Other than his agent is over here putting together dissertations for all the open jobs

But he loved Buffalo, Ed. 

10 minutes ago, ed said:

He and his family really liked it here. There's no disputing that.  He is taking a hit in the short-term family happiness department. 

In another article i read somewhere...the Alabama AD said he's had his eye on Oats since 2018 when they beat Arizona.  I'm sure he knew everything about Nate and his background..got numerous first hand references leading up.  Then pounced as soon as the Bulls run ended.  Oats went to Tuscaloosa without ever seeing the place.  It's all about the life-changing money and chance/resources to get to the Final-4 

I mean isn't an agent's job to make his client as much money as possible, in turn making himself as much money as possible?  It would be irresponsible for him not to do that.  Him doing research and not just signing on the dotted line of the largest contract seems pretty reasonable.  Oats made it clear the Gonzaga vision was always contingent on support from the University and 800k and no dedicated practice facility isn't that.  If you convinced yourself that he was gonna stay here for pennies then that's on you.  I'm probably as romantic about the program as anybody but I don't know how Oats could have been any more straight forward than he was.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

But I don't know how Oats could have been any more straight forward than he was.

Pretty much.

As for the article, like Kevin said it's mostly nuetral spin but I dont think for a second that his family wasn't moved by buffalo. Even if you don't think oats was, his wife and kids certainly were

13 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

I mean isn't an agent's job to make his client as much money as possible, in turn making himself as much money as possible?  It would be irresponsible for him not to do that.  Him doing research and not just signing on the dotted line of the largest contract seems pretty reasonable.  Oats made it clear the Gonzaga vision was always contingent on support from the University and 800k and no dedicated practice facility isn't that.  If you convinced yourself that he was gonna stay here for pennies then that's on you.  I'm probably as romantic about the program as anybody but I don't know how Oats could have been any more straight forward than he was.

Well said. I could see a scenario where a guy like Oats would be content with 850k, especially if he kept moving that number upwards every few years. It's happened before in human history. But if I'm the agent getting such a small cut, I'd do anything to convince my client to sign for 3x's elsewhere. 

12 minutes ago, xDerekRx said:

Pretty much.

As for the article, like Kevin said it's mostly nuetral spin but I dont think for a second that his family wasn't moved by buffalo. Even if you don't think oats was, his wife and kids certainly were

I won't argue anything about his wife and kids, they seemed to like it here. 

I don't think we'll ever have enough data on "how much" he liked it here. That should be a moot point. 

Money matters, it's all that matters. He claimed his agent was supposed to be blocking all jobs that weren't "unreal". He seemed to have been making a case for all jobs that made him more money as an agent. I think that's the discussion. He tried his best to convince us that it WASN'T the case. Why do that? We know coaches leave for money, but they don't try to convince you that they won't. 

I think my point is/was that there is enough evidence that he was never sincere in his "Gonzaga of the East". If he thought for one minute that he'd get more than the1M (with bonuses) and already be the highest paid coach in the conference, well maybe he's not as smart as it seems. His salary would have been a slower move up to the Few levels, and he knew what it would take to redo Alumni and build a rec center. 2M salary P5 jobs exist every season. 

Many thought he was different and in the fraction that cared more than money. He wasn't. 

Edited by Kevin
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Kevin said:

I think my point is/was that there is enough evidence that he was never sincere in his "Gonzaga of the East". 

There were some small signs but the big one for me (and I know people don't like to hear me harp about scheduling but here we are...) was when he refused to take any home/home agreements where he was not getting a home game in Alumni Arena this year. 

Giving up that home to gain one in the future is how you balance the scales when you have scheduling imbalances.  There were teams that offered Oats deals for games.  He turned them down.  He was looking for games for this year.  Will worry about next year when next year comes.  That isn't how someone behaves when they are trying to invest into your program to build the "Gonzaga of the East."