Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Post-Oats Discussions

UB05

20 minutes ago, mikescherrer8 said:

For me, it's just still a bit of a shock. Once we get a new coach, and I embrace it, then I'll get over it. But I'll probably never like Oats after he just disappeared in the fashion he did. 

Agree. Two things need to happen for me to move on. First obviously announce a coach. Second, a half hearted thank you statement from Oats, stroking the University, city, athletes and fans. Telling us how great we are, how much we meant to him and his family and how he wishes us the best. 

Is it odd #2 hasn't happened yet?

3 minutes ago, Kevin said:

This University, City, fans, donar base, health system, and opportunity did more for Nate Oats than he did for us. Let’s never forget that. 

Period.

Now I’m done. 

Lol what? He was the best coach in UB history and led us to our best season in history.  The university paid him less than most top 25 coaches, and got some back in the buyout.  The fans started showing up with about a month left in his final season.  Finally, hanging his wife's recovery from cancer over his head as if we personally did anything has gotta be the shittiest thing about this fanbase.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, CheerUB80/84 said:

If anyone here thinks they would not jump at a good job that pays 2x to 3x more than they make now they are crazy.  Alabama is good job and Oats believes that he can win there.  Wish the man well and say who next.  I hope the next coach has as much coaching and recruiting talent as we had before.  This is life as a mid major.  

You are crazy  to think everyone in this world would jump solely based on money. Sadly that has become the reality in today’s world. If you can’t survive on &800,000 to one million dolllars then shame on you. It is sad that people base all their success and supposed happiness on how much money they can make. 

22 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

Lol what? He was the best coach in UB history and led us to our best season in history.  The university paid him less than most top 25 coaches, and got some back in the buyout.  The fans started showing up with about a month left in his final season.  Finally, hanging his wife's recovery from cancer over his head as if we personally did anything has gotta be the shittiest thing about this fanbase.

Many coaches, including those making less money, have made the round of 32.

He did well for the school while he was here but it wasn't unheard of for a school of UB's stature.  Many coaches have done the same on the way up the ladder.  Few have been able to sustain success at a program like Buffalo.  (No pun intended).

28 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

I don't think I did anything in that regards, I mentioned it because once again, they do. I personally wasn't hanging that over their heads in that manner. I'll delete that part because that's not what I meant.

To the rest of the comment. I'll stand by my opinion. The P5 job doesn't come unless a university was willing to hire an assistant with no experience from a Highschool. Bobby Hurley was the reason he was even here. 

According to figures compiled by USA TODAY Sports, Wofford's Mike Young earned a salary of $161,043 this season. That is the lowest total among the 64 NCAA Tournament coaches included in the compilation and 5.96 percent less than the $171,244 salary USA TODAY Sports reported Young earned last season.

They don't get paid off of their short-term rankings. Wofford did a fantastic job, why isn't Young out the door?

I'm sorry, as usual, we see this differently. But maybe you'll continue to follow trainwreck (fake barstool) and their coverage. 

Edited by Kevin

5 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

Many coaches, including those making less money, have made the round of 32.

He did well for the school while he was here but it wasn't unheard of for a school of UB's stature.  Many coaches have done the same on the way up the ladder.  Few have been able to sustain success at a program like Buffalo.  (No pun intended).

Sure but how many of them did so in two consecutive years?  And how many were top 25 for essentially the whole year?  Acting like we did so much more for him than anyone else has ever done for a coach is bizarre.  I had grievances with Hurley for how he tried to air us out in the media after he left but Oats did nothing to harm us so I don't understand why everyone is trying to tear him down now.  If the worst thing he did is make us sound better than we are with the Gonzaga talk then almost every person on this board is probably just as bad as him.

Edited by trueblue32

I’m gonna take the high road and just be thankful for Nate Oats and the level of success he helped us reach. If anything it opened our eyes that it could be done at UB. Even though it was short lived and even though I thought we had at least one more year it was a great ride. Hopefully we land back on our feet again. I know we can. We can win the MAC again and we can win tournament games. My imidiate reaction was sadness. That grew to disappointment at the way it all unfolded but it is what it is...let’s get ourselves a coach. Build and hopefully kick Alabama’s ass like we did ASU if we ever play them.

• Like 1

Another spin: Oats and his wife will be able to devote $15k each year to each of their daughters’ college fund, merely from the lower state income taxes that they will pay to Alabama rather than New York. 

That is assuming a $2.4 mil salary there AND here. Of course, they’ll have to put up with the roads.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Kevin said:

According to figures compiled by USA TODAY Sports, Wofford's Mike Young earned a salary of $161,043 this season. That is the lowest total among the 64 NCAA Tournament coaches included in the compilation and 5.96 percent less than the $171,244 salary USA TODAY Sports reported Young earned last season.

They don't get paid off of their short-term rankings. Wofford did a fantastic job, why isn't Young out the door?

Has he received a 2.4 million dollar offer yet?

5 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

Has he received a 2.4 million dollar offer yet?

Couldn't tell you. But does he have an agent breaking down the max all of the available jobs that he'd be available for? He's made 5 NCAA tournaments and won in 4 of them. 

He's been there 17 years and declined any offers to this point, account to Forbes. 

7 hours ago, promotherobot said:

Naw, kids can be pretty fragile, especially when you keep yanking them around the country because Daddy wants more money. And grown ups make up these excuses to make themselves feel better about wrecking their kids lives. Like I said, hope it's all worth it, Nate.

Haha holy salty. 

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, promotherobot said:

I appreciate what Nate Oats did but I'll also remember how he left.

Holtman did the same at Butler. Signed new contract with school then left for Ohio State taking some of the recruiting class with him. The assistant coaches said the same as being heard fromBH, promote me or I'm gone. They followed "Boltman" to Ohio State which decimated the team this year. He did this not early like Oats, almost at the end of AAU season. When Brad Stevens left Butler, he called all his players into Hinkle Field House and had notified all past players he coached of a team "family" conference call. My son was on that call. The only people who knew before the team and former players were his wife, Celtics' Danny Ainge, and Butler AD Barry Collier. He told his kids and parents after. CLASS ACT unlike Boltman (Chris Holtman) and Oats. 

51 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

Sure but how many of them did so in two consecutive years?  And how many were top 25 for essentially the whole year?  Acting like we did so much more for him than anyone else has ever done for a coach is bizarre.  I had grievances with Hurley for how he tried to air us out in the media after he left but Oats did nothing to harm us so I don't understand why everyone is trying to tear him down now.  If the worst thing he did is make us sound better than we are with the Gonzaga talk then almost every person on this board is probably just as bad as him.

Don't downplay the rest of the staff and their roles. Did UB do anything unique? IMO individuals were allowed to play "playground" ball. It worked with this group. JW strategized the defense and again IMO was the bench coach. "Wild Oats" was the screamer.

2 minutes ago, ButlerAlumDad said:

Don't downplay the rest of the staff and their roles. Did UB do anything unique? IMO individuals were allowed to play "playground" ball. It worked with this group. JW strategized the defense and again IMO was the bench coach. "Wild Oats" was the screamer.

I would say having a top 20 offense with no real NBA talents is unique and not accomplished playing "playground ball".  I'm not downplaying the staff and I've been advocating for hiring from within.  If you feel Oats was the wild screamer and not much else to me it makes his jump to Alabama all the smarter before he gets "exposed".

2 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

I would say having a top 20 offense with no real NBA talents is unique and not accomplished playing "playground ball".  I'm not downplaying the staff and I've been advocating for hiring from within.  If you feel Oats was the wild screamer and not much else to me it makes his jump to Alabama all the smarter before he gets "exposed".

UB with JUCO players had enough experience to deal with MAC players. UB doesn't get 4star talent out of high school, and not too many 3 stars either unless they go the JUCO route. Also, the Pacers were hot on CJM. I have a personal opinion that his leaving as well as a possible BH departure was not as recent as it seems. Marshall stopped calling recruits he was after a few weeks before his departure was announced. 

1 hour ago, trueblue32 said:

If the worst thing he did is make us sound better than we are with the Gonzaga talk then almost every person on this board is probably just as bad as him.

No, the worst thing he did was how he behaved when he left.

As for other programs and being able to sustain success, I wrote about it prior. 

I had my doubts about Oats ability to sustain the success of the last few years. 

11 minutes ago, ButlerAlumDad said:

he was 3.5 and made almost no real impact on the court. not a game changer

He was composite 4* by 24/7.  We got a 4* player but he hasn't been a game changer yet.  Maybe on a young team he could be?  We don't know.