Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Post-Oats Discussions

UB05

1 minute ago, 961819 said:

UB needs to get a coach and then get the hell out of the MAC, that’s all I have right now 

and where are they going to go? They don't have a big time budget and its all teams have to go. UB Football in the Big10? ACC? The Big East is private schools only. It takes $$$. I doubt UB could afford the MAC buyout.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ButlerAlumDad said:

and where are they going to go? They don't have a big time budget and its all teams have to go. UB Football in the Big10? ACC? The Big East is private schools only. It takes $$$. I doubt UB could afford the MAC buyout.

AAC. Like I said in the past, if schools like Tulane and East Carolina can be in it, so can UB.

1 minute ago, 961819 said:

I know money is a big factor, that’s blatantly obvious. But any other excuse for not joining, in particular the whole “UB wouldn’t be able to compete” are complete BS.

AF4D9D1A-370D-4A1F-A193-3F8802DD004C.jpeg

B7E51D2B-AFF0-4A95-A9E0-4901E5744107.jpeg

UB Can't compete. There is no budget for the teams to travel to away games. UB already had to cut 4 sports and would have to add 6 to be in the ACC. I was involved in a team going from the Horizon to the A-10 (the league knew it was for 1 year only) then the Big East. Sadly I think there' more of a chance of UB dropping D1 than there is of joining a FBS or P6 conference.

51 minutes ago, ButlerAlumDad said:

UB Can't compete. There is no budget for the teams to travel to away games. UB already had to cut 4 sports and would have to add 6 to be in the ACC. I was involved in a team going from the Horizon to the A-10 (the league knew it was for 1 year only) then the Big East. Sadly I think there' more of a chance of UB dropping D1 than there is of joining a FBS or P6 conference.

We also get a ton more money. We could be fine. Travel will be an issue no matter how much money.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, McBulls said:

Remember what I said about Godgson having clearly turned in his resignation before taking a job at Alabama?  Guess I was wrong in that one. Just seems insane to consider that he is still employed here.

And the fact that Oats hasn’t said anything to him about it is so telling.  They lack class. 

1 hour ago, ButlerAlumDad said:

First off - I really question your "in the know" people. Next, we are a State school subject to what Albany wants. Next is the UB Foundation group that would put $ to the medical school first. UB might get more applications due to it becoming known, though the school is already close to capacity. I was privy to the costs and budgets a few years ago and costs have increased since then forcing UB to drop sports programs. In case you missed my post, UB is 1 sport away from losing D1for some sports (those not in MAC). UB is in the MAC as it only requires 4 sports to be league members vs other conferences requiring 16+. UB was a good D1 program until the students said no sports money and UB lost D1 football. Basketball was D3. UB only gained D1 status again 30 years ago. Don't trash the MAC. The MAC only requires a member to field 4 sports; Football, Men's Basketball, Women's Basketball and Women's Volleyball. Most FBS leagues  require 12 teams  as a minimum for membership and some leagues are over 20. UB doesn't have the resources, students, interest or facilities to comply with the Big Boys. 

BAD stick to your Butler trivia. 

6 hours ago, bull_trojan said:

Gonzaga of the East is an aspiration...that's like saying I'm done being top 25 that was Oats' thing. Be done with the Blue Collar shirts. We're a University not a trade school.

I repeat I’m done with the Gonzaga of the East comparison. I’m also done with blue collar shirts. Those two things specifically were Nate Oats motivators. Nate Oats talking and selling points. Nate Oats branding. He’s no longer here. Time for a new coach and new motivational mindset and pitch to the public. New branding. That has nothing to do with being done with the top 25. The top 25 is not a Nate Oats thing. That’s an any and every coach thing. That’s all I’m saying. Not saying that I’m done aspiring to win games get to the big dance and go deep. 

Edit: By new branding I don’t mean a new logo or anything. Just mean new pitch to the public to support this team.

Edited by DooleyBull06

22 hours ago, skrabukes said:

I'm not really concerned with what Ucla does. Honestly, we've been far better than them in recent years, even though they have more resources and tradition. 

then you shouldn't have asked me what our urgency was, when i mentioned urgency in response to someone comparing us to ucla! context bud!  as for far better than ucla in recent years, you have a really short memory-  they went to the sweet 16 a whopping 2 years ago.  and two years before that.  and the year before that. and a couple more years between that and 2006, when they lost in the finals and we were still crying about ohio. 

11 hours ago, bull_trojan said:

UCLA has the resources to grab almost who ever they want, but they won't SPEND the resources on Athletics that's why they suck.

uh, you really think ucla's recent woes (see above) have anything to do with spending?

22 hours ago, everlast2504 said:

Alnutt would of had to agree to 'Bama interviewing Oats. 

i don't believe that's the case.

20 hours ago, 121Merrimac said:

Isn’t it possible that the parents wanted to see the area before committing themselves and their children to the area?   

iirc, no - i believe one of the articles specifically mentioned committing the family without ever having been there.

Edited by ed

17 minutes ago, ed said:

then you shouldn't have asked me what our urgency was, when i mentioned urgency in response to someone comparing us to ucla! context bud!  as for far better than ucla in recent years, you have a really short memory-  they went to the sweet 16 a whopping 2 years ago.  and two years before that.  and the year before that. and a couple more years between that and 2006, when they lost in the finals and we were still crying about ohio. 

uh, you really think ucla's recent woes (see above) have anything to do with spending?

i don't believe that's the case.

iirc, no - i believe one of the articles specifically mentioned committing the family without ever having been there.

Oats comments "i would have liked to see it, but we got to see Youtube vides and pictures".  They did not visit anything.

35 minutes ago, ed said:

Yes. They paid their old coach 2.6 million. They offered Coach Calipari 8 million a year, problem is it's 1.2 million LESS than what he currently makes. So either they don't have the resources to compete with Kentucky, or they have the resources and they are cheap. 

1 minute ago, bull_trojan said:

Yes. They paid their old coach 2.6 million. They offered Coach Calipari 8 million a year, problem is it's 1.2 million LESS than what he currently makes. So either they don't have the resources to compete with Kentucky, or they have the resources and they are cheap. 

so your position is ucla sucks because they won't spend more than $8M on a coach.  wow. 

1 hour ago, ed said:

so your position is ucla sucks because they won't spend more than $8M on a coach.  wow. 

I'm biased, but there are schools that will figure out what everyone is paying and add a zero and there are schools like UCLA that figure out what everyone else is paying and remove a zero and then say you should be happy to work here for a paycut. 

They offered a coach a 1.2 million paycut to move to a higher cost of living city and rebuild a program instead of staying at his program that is on elite 8 autopilot. That doesn't scream power move... to me it looks like they offered it to show they are willing to spend, all the while hoping he declined the offer...they can then hire someone for cheap but tell there fans we didn't cheap out, we offered someone 8 million.

14 minutes ago, bull_trojan said:

I'm biased, but there are schools that will figure out what everyone is paying and add a zero and there are schools like UCLA that figure out what everyone else is paying and remove a zero and then say you should be happy to work here for a paycut. 

They offered a coach a 1.2 million paycut to move to a higher cost of living city and rebuild a program instead of staying at his program that is on elite 8 autopilot. That doesn't scream power move... to me it looks like they offered it to show they are willing to spend, all the while hoping he declined the offer...they can then hire someone for cheap but tell there fans we didn't cheap out, we offered someone 8 million.

It's tough to compare without details - Calipari's base salary (just under $8M) was about the same as the UCLA offer, so it's more than a show me offer. 

And putting that aside, you think $2.6M is cheaping out on a coach? There's only about 20 schools that pay more than $3M, and a handful above $4M. How much more do you think they should pay, and why?

Just now, ed said:

And putting that aside, you think $2.6M is cheaping out on a coach? There's only about 20 schools that pay more than $3M, and a handful above $4M. How much more do you think they should pay, and why?

Well who is getting more than 2.6 M in the PAC 12?
Oregon - Utah - Arizona.

So the premier team in the conference pays 4th.

USC doesn't disclose but they are probably in the neighborhood. ASU pays Hurley 2.1 million.

UB went to the round of 32 and we moved to make Oats the highest paid guy in the conference. UCLA goes to final fours and they are OK with their coaches being paid 4th/5th in conference

28 minutes ago, bull_trojan said:

Well who is getting more than 2.6 M in the PAC 12?
Oregon - Utah - Arizona.

So the premier team in the conference pays 4th.

USC doesn't disclose but they are probably in the neighborhood. ASU pays Hurley 2.1 million.

UB went to the round of 32 and we moved to make Oats the highest paid guy in the conference. UCLA goes to final fours and they are OK with their coaches being paid 4th/5th in conference

so we've gone from they suck, to they should pay more because they go to final fours - do you want to deal with the past or the present?  😄

the pac-12 has had (going back to ancient history) SIX teams win the national championship. ucla, arizona, oregon, and washington all have been on top of the conference in recent years.  should all the coaches somehow be paid more than the others and nobody be fourth?  how's that work?  and arizona's base salary is more than ucla's - not their fault that alford can't get it done.  😛

8 minutes ago, 961819 said:

Can we please keep this about UB and UB news. I really couldn’t care less about UCLA and their coach search 

well, there's no news.  so i guess we should all shut up and leave the board until something shows up and go back to the good old days of there being like 2 active threads with 4 people posting?  ha.  

16 minutes ago, ed said:

well, there's no news.  so i guess we should all shut up and leave the board until something shows up and go back to the good old days of there being like 2 active threads with 4 people posting?  ha.  

Or you could make a thread specifically for this pointless talk about other schools, Ed. It’s not rocket science