Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Post-Oats Discussions

UB05

1 hour ago, 961819 said:

No, he didn’t. It’s him covering his ass and being oddly specific. He could’ve said “telling those players face-to-face that I would no longer be their coach” but instead he was oddly specific “I remember at exactly 9:23 AM I had a sip of my coffee and it wasn’t sweet enough and then approximately 37 seconds later I told these players that I’m leaving them behind. Roll Tide, I have a plane to catch” 

1.  Considering what others have written, it seems clear that "those players" means "those players that I spoke with" (and not necessarily a team meeting with all the players).
2.  It is a week late.  This is 100% a CYA thing.  Whether he had to be convinced to do this -- who knows.  
3.   How else is Alnutt supposed to respond to a tweet like that?  He has to be appreciative in public, of course.  It is part of the job.

I hope this ends the discussion about Oats and we can move on.  For me, I liked the guy.  I thought he was a breath of fresh air.  A straight shooter.  He seemed humble...even a bit of an "aw shucks" sort of guy at times.   But this past week has shown me he was more of a wolf in sheep's clothing.  I guess part of it had to be an act, so the fact I didn't really catch it was me being naive.

Even if Oats left and did it the right way, I probably would still follow him on Twitter and root for him to be successful.  But regardless of how many retweet his week-late message or say "thanks, coach" in a tweet, he's really just burned his bridge (and BH poured some more gas on it).

So...good riddance.  And, of course, an "unfollow" on Twitter.

Go Bulls...next coach in.

• Like 4

Lol yea I'm giving him no credit for a canned response (directly) to the reasons he's faced criticism, a week after leaving.

I said it then and I'll say it now. Andre Allen, a player who never even made it to the team gave a more timely, heartfelt thank you and goodbye than the coach that was here for 6 years.

I take back none of my criticism of the way he has handled this situation. Goodbye.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, trueblue32 said:

Is it not possible that not all players were present given that it went down on a week day during classes?

That's because a team meeting wasn't called.  The AD called a team meeting and that is when the team was informed.

One or two athletes walking into the office and asking Oats why he and Hodgson were packing up all their things is not telling the players that you're leaving.  It is getting caught trying to duck out of town.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Jeseph said:

Lol yea I'm giving him no credit for a canned response (directly) to the reasons he's faced criticism, a week after leaving.

I said it then and I'll say it now. Andre Allen, a player who never even made it to the team gave a more timely, heartfelt thank you and goodbye than the coach that was here for 6 years.

I take back none of my criticism of the way he has handled this situation. Goodbye.

^^

2 hours ago, Jeseph said:

This.

with his oddly specific goodbye, half of it about how much he liked Alabama (we already knew you’ve stated this 10 times and didn’t need to in your goodbye) and the power play by Hodgson, this is the best way to wrap up this conversation 

Virginia tech just hired the Wofford head coach.... if Bama hadn’t grabbed Oats, V Tech definitely would have as he is a far better candidate. Looks like it was always in the cards considering “dream job” was just a big school and a pay raise.

15 hours ago, UB05 said:

Virginia tech just hired the Wofford head coach.... if Bama hadn’t grabbed Oats, V Tech definitely would have as he is a far better candidate. Looks like it was always in the cards considering “dream job” was just a big school and a pay raise.

I've always thought that as well.

The dream job was a job over 1M and a P5 program. 

17 hours ago, UB05 said:

Tech is the better job too.

On 4/8/2019 at 10:32 AM, rma said:

Tech is the better job too.

I'd like to see you rationalize that comment. Better in what way? 

All time winning percentage
Bama  .615% 
VT .548%

NCAA Tournament Appearances
Bama 21 
VT 11

Elite 8 Appearances
Bama 1 (2004) 
VT 1 (1967)

Sweet 16 Appearances
Bama 8 (most recent 2004)  
VT 2 (most recent 2019)

Conference records
Bama .560% with a winning record against 11 SEC teams.  UK and Arky (4 games behind arky) are the only two with winning records vs Bama.
VT .437% with winning record against 4 ACC teams (Clemson, GT, WF, and Pitt) and a losing record against the other 10 teams.

Money?
Bama a lot 
VT not as much

Dumb "Football School" argument?
If you want to apply this, then you have to apply it to VT doubly, since they've had almost no history of success in basketball

Support
I don't know about VT, but Bama just paid several million dollars to fire a coach that had a winning record and a squeaky clean image. Bama also has approved a 115 million dollar gutting and "renovation" of their basketball arena, which will, essentially, be a brand new arena. That is after having dumped tens of millions into renovating it to a lesser degree a few years ago (under a different AD). Bama is also historically near the top of the SEC in attendance numbers.

So... better job how? 

2 minutes ago, teague said:

Bama  .615% 
VT .548%

Bama 21 
VT 11

Elite 8 Appearances
Bama 1 (2004) 
VT 1 (1967)

Sweet 16 Appearances
VT 2 (most recent 2019)

Conference records
Bama .560% with a winning record against 11 SEC teams.  UK and Arky (4 games behind arky) are the only two with winning records vs Bama.
VT .437% with winning record against 4 ACC teams (Clemson, GT, WF, and Pitt) and a losing record against the other 10 teams.

Money?
Bama a lot 
VT not as much

If you want to apply this, then you have to apply it to VT doubly, since they've had almost no history of success in basketball

Support
I don't know about VT, but Bama just paid several million dollars to fire a coach that had a winning record and a squeaky clean image. Bama also has approved a 115 million dollar gutting and "renovation" of their basketball arena, which will, essentially, be a brand new arena. That is after having dumped tens of millions into renovating it to a lesser degree a few years ago (under a different AD). Bama is also historically near the top of the SEC in attendance numbers.

So... better job how? 

I see we have a Bama fan here

7 minutes ago, teague said:

Bama  .615% 
VT .548%

Bama 21 
VT 11

Elite 8 Appearances
Bama 1 (2004) 
VT 1 (1967)

Sweet 16 Appearances
VT 2 (most recent 2019)

Conference records

Money?
Bama a lot 
VT not as much

Support

So... better job how? 

Easy to see why Oats would be eager to take the position 

10 hours ago, teague said:

So... better job how? 

My current perception pretty much.  They have a young team that can make a huge run in the tournament.  Much of Alabama's success was in the 1980's and 1990's - using that argument is like when Bonnies fans tell us that they won the NIT and made the F4 in the 16th century.  Historical success is nice, but if your current team isn't great then it doesn't mean much.

Miami U is the "Cradle of Coaches," has something like the 25th best win % in D1 football, has a toooon of conference championships, but has Chuck Martin on the slidelines.  Is that more desirable than the Ohio job*?

*Worth noting that Ohio has not won a MAC Championship since.....oh wow, 1968! Has it really been that long?

13 hours ago, rma said:

My current perception pretty much.  They have a young team that can make a huge run in the tournament.  Much of Alabama's success was in the 1980's and 1990's - using that argument is like when Bonnies fans tell us that they won the NIT and made the F4 in the 16th century.  Historical success is nice, but if your current team isn't great then it doesn't mean much.

Miami U is the "Cradle of Coaches," has something like the 25th best win % in D1 football, has a toooon of conference championships, but has Chuck Martin on the slidelines.  Is that more desirable than the Ohio job*?

*Worth noting that Ohio has not won a MAC Championship since.....oh wow, 1968! Has it really been that long?

But, Alabama has been a consistently "good" program, pretty much throughout its history. We've been pretty mediocre for the last 2 1/2 coaches, but even have a few tournament appearances in those years. VT had one recent run due to a very good coach. 

This is like 15 years ago when teams like LSU were claiming to be better football programs than Alabama just because they had had more recent success. Alabama basketball isn't Alabama football, but VT basketball isn't LSU football either. 

Avery Johnson is a TERRIBLE college coach, but he was a good recruiter. He squandered some very talented teams. I say that to point out that Oats isn't going to have to do much building at Bama. He's inherited a pretty good roster - 5 former top 150 recruits (4 of which were top 100). And the current recruiting class is ranked 17th in the nation (3 more top 100 kids, plus Raymond Hawkins) with the possibility of adding 5* Trendon Watford in 9 days. 

I just don't agree that VT is a better job historically OR currently.