Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Post-Oats Discussions

UB05

1 minute ago, mikescherrer8 said:

All these lies of him building Gonzaga of the east of distilling false hope into so many people. The university was coming around to build this thing and we are back to square one. Wow.

It is definitely tough to digest the fact that “dream job” actually just meant any P5 school

23 minutes ago, mikescherrer8 said:

All these lies of him building Gonzaga of the east of distilling false hope into so many people. The university was coming around to build this thing and we are back to square one. Wow.

In his defense he NEVER lied.  He said he wants to build that and would only entertain major, can't ignore them offers.  I would argue that with the massive resources of a school like Alabama..that's a can't ignore offer.  I trust that he would have said no thanks to UNLV, Nebraska, etc.  But would YOU say no to going to share an athletic department with Nick Saban?

5 minutes ago, UBigbobby said:

In his defense he NEVER lied.  He said he wants to build that and would only entertain major, can't ignore them offers.  I would argue that with the massive resources of a school like Alabama..that's a can't ignore offer.  I trust that he would have said no thanks to UNLV, Nebraska, etc.  But would YOU say no to going to share an athletic department with Nick Saban?

I just thought it would be a Kentucky, Duke, UNC, UCLA, Indiana, etc. I would put 'Bama one step below them. 

I would also say Oats and AD have been pretty open about this potentially happening. I dont feel fooled by Oats. I said it before. Hurley left a bad taste in my mouth, not Oats though.

We can compare apples to oranges about what is considered the dream job. To me Bama is an excellent one to leave for. I wish him more well than Bobby. Heck I kinda love that his last win was over Bobby at UB before he left.

It just stings for us fans because the fun is over in the world of Oats.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, everlast2504 said:

I just thought it would be a Kentucky, Duke, UNC, UCLA, Indiana, etc. I would put 'Bama one step below them. 

Haha..he would have to start getting into some sweet 16s before a blue blood would even think of him. He’s not anywhere near that level yet.

Those jobs, (well maybe not Indiana anymore) are a different class. 

1 minute ago, UBFan99 said:

Haha..he would have to start getting into some sweet 16s before a blue blood would even think of him. He’s not anywhere near that level yet.

Those jobs, (well maybe not Indiana anymore) are a different class. 

Not sure of the ha ha...but I agree with your assessment.  Getting a mid major dancing for a window is one thing; doing it to multiple windows is another.

Nate was very good; I will remember his small window for a long time.

My guess is he he gets fired from Bama in three years....

1 hour ago, everlast2504 said:

Given the history the last decade or two, I'm not sure UCLA or Indiana are better jobs than Bama, and jobs like UK, Duke, Nova, Tennessee, Kansas do not open often, and let's be honest, Oats wouldn't be a candidate for them.  I think you listen to Bama in the SEC, but you pass up Vanderbilt.

Edited by UBigbobby

1 minute ago, dutchcountry7 said:

I don't think you were following... If Alabama offers Hodgson an assistant coaching job, then we have to be competitive with that.  We are also in competition for other assistant coaching jobs.

Fair point but allow me to counter with this...

Maybe Alabama’s AD would want a more experienced staff around Nate bc Nate is inexperienced at in terms of SEC play? Who knows where Hodgson fits in there if he even does.

1 minute ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Fair point but allow me to counter with this...

Maybe Alabama’s AD would want a more experienced staff around Nate bc Nate is inexperienced at in terms of SEC play? Who knows where Hodgson fits in there if he even does.

Hodgson would slot into the 3rd or 4th chair, focusing on recruiting and culture building...sound familiar?

13 minutes ago, UBigbobby said:

Given the history the last decade or two, I'm not sure UCLA or Indiana are better jobs than Bama, and jobs like UK, Duke, Nova, Tennessee, Kansas do not open often, and let's be honest, Oats wouldn't be a candidate for them.  I think you listen to Bama in the SEC, but you pass up Vanderbilt.

c'mon now, UCLA basketball, with all their issues, has still been way better over the last decade (and two) than alabama, and they still do a pretty outstanding job recruiting. the program and coaching has been a nightmare, but they're well positioned.  and they're f'in UCLA basketball.  and in westwood.  no contest.

3 minutes ago, ed said:

c'mon now, UCLA basketball, with all their issues, has still been way better over the last decade (and two) than alabama, and they still do a pretty outstanding job recruiting. the program and coaching has been a nightmare, but they're well positioned.  and they're f'in UCLA basketball.  and in westwood.  no contest.

Fair.  I will not give Indiana that kind of credit though.

Buffalo needs to join the big boys and move to the AAC. I know, easier said than done. But if East Carolina and Tulane can make it, we sure as hell can. That will help make this position less of a stepping stone. Our football team could honestly be good enough to not be the worst team in that conference as well so the good ole “our football team needs to step it up before we make that switch” argument really doesn’t hold as much weight 

7 minutes ago, MKBullsfan said:

I’m pissed. Nate needs to address the fans and buffalo community. Already changed his twitter to Bama. 

I’d like this but I’m all out of reactions for the day. For as classy as he’s been over the years, not having any sort of announcement and just immediately changing his twitter is pretty disappointing 

3 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Nope, we got this instead:

And apparently a big quick offer to Hawkins.

Wow!  It's on now.

Taking a step back, it must be pretty awesome to be greeted like that.  Good for him.

Of course, I 100% think that he will have a reaction about this soon/tomorrow to the UB fans.  Perhaps take out a full page ad in the Buffalo News thanking everyone and, of course, copying that to his Twitter feed.  

It's Alabama...they have a lot of resources.   If you have not been on that campus before, athletics is a big deal (and I am not just talking football).  

We grieve today (and tomorrow, perhaps), but need to move on quickly.

Go Bulls!

2 minutes ago, UB92 said:

Wow!  It's on now.

Taking a step back, it must be pretty awesome to be greeted like that.  Good for him.

Of course, I 100% think that he will have a reaction about this soon/tomorrow to the UB fans.  Perhaps take out a full page ad in the Buffalo News thanking everyone and, of course, copying that to his Twitter feed.  

It's Alabama...they have a lot of resources.   If you have not been on that campus before, athletics is a big deal (and I am not just talking football).  

We grieve today (and tomorrow, perhaps), but need to move on quickly.

Go Bulls!

Lol full page ad in the paper? Come on now. We’ll be lucky to get a twitter mention. He had it changed to Alabama theme before it was even announced, and hasn’t said a thing aside from 30 seconds of phone interview and a small piece through the athletics department. We were sold a load of crap by him. I don’t blame him one bit for leaving for $2.4 million per season, but the way it all went down is definitely showing he was full of sh*t all this time