Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Post-Oats Discussions

UB05

33 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

I know Bob McKillop has been offered 3x his salary multiple times over the years to leave Davidson and has refused.

Agree. As I have been saying until I am blue in the face. Wjhy does it always have to be about the almighty buck???? I am tired of hearing that Oats or somebody else can’t support his family on $800,000 to 1 million. That’s great he went to Alabama because the taxes are less and he will have more for his kids education. Let’s go to Alalabma with their tornados, hurracaines and heat and the Alabama football team and live in utopia.  Our family have been talking to many fans and season ticket holders and here is our final take: There is no way Oats should of signed that contract extension when he did. He should of told Alnutt thanks but we need to wait until the season is over and see what happens with other offers. He of course can thank Alnutt for all the support but it would not be right or fair to get all the fan base on the high that I might be staying. By signing it not only got the media, the fan base and last but not least the players on the team here and the recruits that he would be staying. So in the final analysis yes Oats along with many other coaches turned the program around but he has done what many have done they justify their actions and could care less about who they hurt along the way. On the Hodgson front: the common sense and intelligent course for Alnutt is to hire Hodgson who is known in the community and has been around the fan base even more than Oats and who would have a chance to keep the majority of the team intact. For many of the season ticket holders dit is a no brainer. Dear Mark Alnutt do the right thing. This fan base will go back to the last days of Reggie with marginal players and no fan support.

step off the ledge everyone.  I never thought Oats was staying put after this year.  The contract extension was a kindness, basically paying for a year of a new HC.  UB has been able to recruit better then the vast majority of the MAC for a decade now, minus Dambrot and his King James connections.  And he is gone now.  We will be OK.  Probably better than Bama.  And Oats will be OK with that.

20 minutes ago, rma said:

He was composite 4* by 24/7.  We got a 4* player but he hasn't been a game changer yet.  Maybe on a young team he could be?  We don't know.

In my experience, the four star players that sign with midmajor schools are most often the result of the rankers and the college coaches seeing different things and the coaches at power conference schools deciding to pass them over because they see something in them they don’t like. 

That’s in part why they sign with mid majors. 

The mid major starts are typically low star recruits like Ja Morant at Murray State  who is the mid major star this year and wasn’t ranked in recruiting services two years ago when he was in high school  

3 minutes ago, MillenniumBull said:

step off the ledge everyone.  I never thought Oats was staying put after this year.  The contract extension was a kindness, basically paying for a year of a new HC.  UB has been able to recruit better then the vast majority of the MAC for a decade now, minus Dambrot and his King James connections.  And he is gone now.  We will be OK.  Probably better than Bama.  And Oats will be OK with that.

The fans on this site still do not get it and after my many opinions will not understand. After listening to so many defend these high profile supposed good people we are done with this entire episode. I repeat one more time: honesty, integrity, accountability and responsibility are gone in sports. Why as fans do we continue to attend thes events and support people who care less about us????

24 minutes ago, John said:

The fans on this site still do not get it and after my many opinions will not understand. After listening to so many defend these high profile supposed good people we are done with this entire episode. I repeat one more time: honesty, integrity, accountability and responsibility are gone in sports. Why as fans do we continue to attend these events and support people who care less about us????

Because it's UB's lot in life, to be a stepping stone program. And as long as we're all being honest about it that's fine. But Oats was really spinning yarns about staying until that "dream job" opened up. And I assumed "dream job" meant a blue blood program or UW or Marquette, someplace near his home. And even then, I understand. You don't sneeze at $2.4MM/yr and the chance to run a P5 program. But is ghosting the school, fans and players the way to go about it? Like ButlerAlumDad said, you can leave with class or you can leave like you are escaping a hostage situation. I thought better of him.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

In my experience, the four star players that sign with midmajor schools are most often the result of the rankers and the college coaches seeing different things and the coaches at power conference schools deciding to pass them over because they see something in them they don’t like. 

That’s in part why they sign with mid majors. 

The mid major starts are typically low star recruits like Ja Morant at Murray State  who is the mid major star this year and wasn’t ranked in recruiting services two years ago when he was in high school  

I think there's a few different types of non-traditional players (ie talent, offers, and outcome all live up to normal expectations without character issues).  Forgive me for using football players as examples

The Randy Mosses - Player has a ton of talent but screwed up in high school so goes somewhere lower and the coach has to make sure they don't screw up again.  Lamonte Bearden at a higher talent level

The Ed Olivers - Local kid wants to ball at home and turns down some HUGE offers.  Lives up to the hype

The Khalil Macks - See Ja above

The Anthony Alfords - High rated player who goes to a lower school because he might actually suck. Ends up sucking. (Randy Moss bonus points because he got into a fight, but let's exclude that for this purpose)

Right now I'd put Jeenathan at 70% Ed Oliver and 30% Anthony Alford.  Time will tell.

15 minutes ago, promotherobot said:

Because it's UB's lot in life, to be a stepping stone program. And as long as we're all being honest about it that's fine. But Oats was really spinning yarns about staying until that "dream job" opened up. And I assumed "dream job" meant a blue blood program or UW or Marquette, someplace near his home. And even then, I understand. You don't sneeze at $2.4MM/yr and the chance to run a P5 program. But is ghosting the school, fans and players the way to go about it? Like ButlerAlumDad said, you can leave with class or you can leave like you are escaping a hostage situation. I thought better of him.

15 minutes ago, promotherobot said:

On this site our family have been very critical of how this all went down so our family have to give him kudos for giving us some successful years. I repeat if he had any integrity he would not of signed the extension when I would think between himself and his agent(who by the way could care less about the local fan base) knew what opportunities were out there and what was coming up. Don’t sign an extension and get everyone’s hopes up for staying another year or two. Our family are intelligent and have common sense and knew Oats was going to be gone within a year or so. But don’t deceive us and think we are all some stupid fans. If our family ever have a chance we will explain our perspective for what it is worth but doubtful he will understand or even read it. Classless is a good word and description. I am sure he will be alright because Sabin is in that same category.

1 hour ago, Nonickname said:

Can we please stop talking about Oats family and kids. It's sick. There is no reason to bring them into this. You can have ill will against Oats but please keep it to yourself. You're making us look bad. Real bad. Be better Buffalo.

Eh? Has anyone said anything bad or talked any smack about his family?

1 minute ago, skrabukes said:

Someone earlier in the thread talked about his daughter. It's possible that post was removed (and rightfully so) whether it was true or just hearsay.

Yea, it basically said she was sad to leave. Wtf is wrong with that?

3 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

No, they went a bit beyond that.

Not really, unless you're talking about something else - there was like a 3rd or 4th hand statement that she was crying.  Was there something else?

It’s comical to me that some people seem upset that another job was taken 2 weeks after signing a new contract.  Even without the new contract, the new job would only be 54 weeks after the last contract.  It feels like everyone would be fine with that... to me neither met the full contract, so this is no worse than if he left, without the recent re-sign. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, John said:

On this site our family have been very critical of how this all went down so our family have to give him kudos for giving us some successful years. I repeat if he had any integrity he would not of signed the extension when I would think between himself and his agent(who by the way could care less about the local fan base) knew what opportunities were out there and what was coming up. Don’t sign an extension and get everyone’s hopes up for staying another year or two. Our family are intelligent and have common sense and knew Oats was going to be gone within a year or so. But don’t deceive us and think we are all some stupid fans. If our family ever have a chance we will explain our perspective for what it is worth but doubtful he will understand or even read it. Classless is a good word and description. I am sure he will be alright because Sabin is in that same category.

Well if the extension raised his buyout it's a good thing. All the chatter about sticking around? Not so much.

6 minutes ago, rma said:

He was there for a year.

http://www.ubbulls.com/sports/mbkb/2018-19/bios/williams_jeenathan_cwme

"chose UB because of its proximity to home"

I know he was there a year. 

I am saying that being close to home wasn’t important for that year and he committed before going to California. 

I don’t think he was an important recruit for the power conference teams. They offered him as one of their depth players that might pan out or might transfer out in a year or two. 

A scenario where UB told him that he was a star and would be the face of the program while power conference teams said he would be able to challenge to get playing time is likely.

Edited by dutchcountry7

13 hours ago, John said:

Don’t sign an extension and get everyone’s hopes up for staying another year or two.

So you are endorsing what you are criticizing.  The extension was to keep him at UB for five more seasons.  You are upset he left in two weeks but would be ok if he left after another year or two.

18 minutes ago, Kevin said:

They by all accounts have kicked tires with some of those names. Tough to know if they’d be will to go from 2M salaries to 600k 

Coach buyouts typically cover the difference or a portion of the difference in salaries if the coach gets a new job. That may be the drop in salary but the actual financial drop on the coach's end may be significantly less. By the time his buyout window ends he may be looking to move up with some success anyways. 

2 minutes ago, UB05 said:

You’re probably right. But if people expect us to become a big time program we have to be able to compete like one. Unless our donor base and boosters increase, we honestly don’t deserve to be in a different class than the rest of the MAC. Can’t think big if we don’t act big. 

What the fans want and what the school and SUNY may want are 2 different things. UB is maintaining the minimum number of sports to qualify for D1. http://www.buffalo.edu/ubnow/stories/2017/04/UB-sports-reduction.html. Without a huge donor gift including the field house, football was on the way out that would have forced UB to leave the MAC. Alumni Arena is a poor facility for big time hoops though better than every other school in the area. It was built as a multi-purpose building. 

7 minutes ago, ButlerAlumDad said:

Without a huge donor gift including the field house, football was on the way out that would have forced UB to leave the MAC. Alumni Arena is a poor facility for big time hoops though better than every other school in the area.

Not true.  There has never been any discussion about dropping football or lowering football other than from people on message boards.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, ButlerAlumDad said:

What the fans want and what the school and SUNY may want are 2 different things. UB is maintaining the minimum number of sports to qualify for D1. http://www.buffalo.edu/ubnow/stories/2017/04/UB-sports-reduction.html. Without a huge donor gift including the field house, football was on the way out that would have forced UB to leave the MAC. Alumni Arena is a poor facility for big time hoops though better than every other school in the area. It was built as a multi-purpose building. 

Bucky? Is that you? In all seriousness though, the school understands fully what big time athletics can do for its public profile and enrollment. President Tripathi has said as much himself 

• Like 1