Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Post-Oats Discussions

UB05

17 minutes ago, UB05 said:

Bucky? Is that you? In all seriousness though, the school understands fully what big time athletics can do for its public profile and enrollment. President Tripathi has said as much himself 

I'm not Bucky! I'm the parent of a former high-major D1 participant and a current highly recruited 3 sport female who elected not to continue sports at the next level. I was also a member of UBAAC (University of Buffalo Athletic Advisory Council) transitioning the school back into D1 and considered a major donor to UB. Last year the men's team had the 3rd lowest GPA in the NCAA tournament field. This year's numbers haven't been released. On the other hand, the women were in the top 10% GPA of tournament teams. 

2 minutes ago, John said:

If Alnutt does not hire Hodgson we will be decimated, lose all our momentum, lose our season ticket base which is our family along with many other fans I have talked to. Hodgson is loved and respected in this community and deserves a chance based on what he has accomplished here along with the other coaches. He is the best recruiter we have had with times all over the country. All of the successful coaches once started out as assistants and we don’t need to handier head coaches that have been fired and did not succeed in their jobs. Rob Lanier has had a ties to this community for years along with the other potential candidates.No Reggie as looks and acts like he is in burnout mode and said when he was here that it is too hard to recruit to UB. Every day that goes by is another downward negative reaction by many fans.  Bryan Hodgson gives us the best chance to succeed and as a first time HC would be more inclined to stay here for several years and why we would want to hire any coach who fans are talking about leaving as soon as they had some success.  As each ay goes by all hope is further and further away

I largely agree with on Hodgson this except for the season ticket holder quip.  Listen, if you, or other STH are so damn fickle in your support that you would cancel your tickets because the coach you like wasn't hired...we can't count on your support anyway, so good riddance. 

• Like 4

Is it just me or does this Hawkins thing really seem shady? From what I read here anyway, Hodgson is trying to hold UB hostage via an 18 year old kid. I mean, he's not Lebron. Yes, we should want him, but I'm more concerned about the shady-ness of someone who is supposedly currently employed by UB. I completely don't understand how contracts work in this business. Additionally, if I'm in charge and I'm approached in this manner by a current employee who is looking for advancement, trying to strong-arm me isn't the way I'd like to be moved into a decision. Personally, I don't work that way, and I don't think UB should either.

• Like 2

When sources leak info you have to consider who benefits from the leak. If sources are saying Hawkins is going to Bama bc Hodgson hasn’t been hired at UB consider who benefits from that leak. Hodgson. It could be true it could also be his camp trying to inflate his worth. Also as far as Tunney...he endorsed Hodgson, ok so if Hodgson is hired does that mean we are gonna see a big donation for perhaps a new facility as a result? 

As far as recruiting Nate sure doesn’t seem like he needs Hodgson. He is slated to meet with 5 star recruit Trendon Watford. So really is Hodgson that big time of a recruiter that he can hold UB hostage?

Furthermore if Oats is already recruiting a 6’8 power forward in Watford will Hawkins get much run in his freshman year as he could if he came here? Or is Hawkins just blinded by the big lights?

Lots of moving parts. We just need a coach then a plan to move forward. There are over 450 transfers out there...I’m sure whoever comes in as coach can replace whoever we lose player wise as a result of their hiring.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Buffalobonnie said:

What the hell happened,?  I leave you guys alone for a few months and all hell breaks loose.  You would be wise to make Rob Lanier your coach. Big time assistant and local ties. He also does things the right way, which would be good. 

Carry on. 

Well since we last spoke we had a 32 win season, won our conference AGAIN, won a tourney game AGAIN and then... oh crap you’re right all hell broke loose 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DooleyBull06 said:

As far as recruiting Nate sure doesn’t seem like he needs Hodgson. He is slated to meet with 5 star recruit Trendon Watford. So really is Hodgson that big time of a recruiter that he can hold UB hostage?

Watford was an Alabama target long before Oats. And we can enjoy in some schadenfreude when he gets poached by Duke as part of a package with their other big time freshman, which was the word from McDonald's week.

3 hours ago, Jeseph said:

Hodgson is also in Tuscaloosa dangling a Hawkins commitment (to us or Alabama) in our AD's face so I'm not sure how good of a culture fit this is moving forward. We need a sustained, positive culture for this program.

Maybe I'm wrong but as much as I initially wanted continuity and to play "save the recruits" at all costs, it just doesn't feel right anymore.

Let’s face it the longer this goes on Hodgson must feel like he has been screwed and probably has no chance of the HC job. How would you feel??? I am tire of being lied to, deceived and will tell Oats if our family ever sees him.

2 hours ago, McBulls said:

Disagree with regard to Hodgson. For the record, I’d like him to be our next coach. He is young, tied in to high school, AAU, and JUCO coaches, and close with the players. I would demand of him what White did of Oats- here an experienced staff to make up for lack of college head coaching experience.

That said, the man needs a job next year. He has a golden opportunity with Oats at Alabama. The school hasn’t shown him any commitment- Whitesell is Interim HC and they are clearly looking at other candidates. If he was the choice I expect it would be done already. He owes the school the same loyalty as it shows him, which right now seems like zip. This isn’t a one way street.

Alnutt better make a great hire, because if he looks elsewhere and his choice flips it should cost him his job.

Alnutt is in the same boat as Oats. If he fails here and he is on his way he will take the next job offer with more money and trample over tha fans like Oats.

38 minutes ago, John said:

Let’s face it the longer this goes on Hodgson must feel like he has been screwed and probably has no chance of the HC job. How would you feel??? I am tire of being lied to, deceived and will tell Oats if our family ever sees him.

I’m sorry John but this is absurd 

1 minute ago, John said:

Don’t agree. He would be a homer for St. Bona. He failed miserably at Siena. If he can/t make it in the week MAAC he should stay in the SEC. Maybe Oats can sign him and they can talk about their accolades when they were local. You know how the good old boys club works.

What the hell happened????? Did not you hear sports is no longer sports it is a business and you go wherever the money is as long as you get your dream job .

7 hours ago, UBigbobby said:

I largely agree with on Hodgson this except for the season ticket holder quip.  Listen, if you, or other STH are so damn fickle in your support that you would cancel your tickets because the coach you like wasn't hired...we can't count on your support anyway, so good riddance. 

AS always all you fickle people don’t get my point of anger and disappointment. I have been told that sports is now a business and how everybody can’t see how Oats sold us a line of bullcan’t See the forest for the trees. Our family have followed local sports with all the ups and downs than you have probably experienced in your lifetime. Cancelling season tickets and not going to games has been going on forever for a variety of reasons. DWho do you think you are to say good riddance. Our family have been local college and especially UB for over 50 years and had our children go to UB. We can all have our opinions and we got screwed when we had as good ting going. Life is unfair and we will survive without following sports that is now a business.

3 hours ago, UB05 said:

I’m sorry John but this is absurd 

Don’t worry and I am sorry. Our family had a summit and decided that our opinions ar out there and there is nothing else really to say. Besides we are not planning on visiting Alabama any time soon.

9 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

So you are endorsing what you are criticizing.  The extension was to keep him at UB for five more seasons.  You are upset he left in two weeks but would be ok if he left after another year or two.

I am not endorsing anything. How did signing that extension work out for you???? It is how Oats went about it. Be honest with fans, don’t sign an extension if you don’t plan on being here. If you read my comments in its entirety you will see where we are coming from. I guess being honest and upfront with people only applies if not in sports.

2 minutes ago, John said:

I am not endorsing anything. How did signing that extension work out for you???? It is how Oats went about it. Be honest with fans, don’t sign an extension if you don’t plan on being here. If you read my comments in its entirety you will see where we are coming from. I guess being honest and upfront with people only applies if not in sports.

We all get your frustration, we all are too. But as others have said, the extension (as brief as it was), got UB a $750k buyout. Would we rather have Oats than the buyout? I know I would. Do I wish the buyout was bigger, commensurate with his new 2/3 buyout? Yes, definitely. As far as being honest and upfront...we all got snookered.

1 hour ago, John said:

AS always all you fickle people don’t get my point of anger and disappointment. I have been told that sports is now a business and how everybody can’t see how Oats sold us a line of bullcan’t See the forest for the trees. Our family have followed local sports with all the ups and downs than you have probably experienced in your lifetime. Cancelling season tickets and not going to games has been going on forever for a variety of reasons. DWho do you think you are to say good riddance. Our family have been local college and especially UB for over 50 years and had our children go to UB. We can all have our opinions and we got screwed when we had as good ting going. Life is unfair and we will survive without following sports that is now a business.

Don’t be bitter.

3 hours ago, John said:

A real fan sticks it out through good and bad because they love the team. They get frustrated and may get down on the team, but they certainly never call it quits and decide to no longer follow sports as a whole. I understand your frustration, the day Oats left I said “UB just lost a fan,” but I’ve cooled down and realize that whoever UB hires, they hired them for a reason. This last season set the bar, anyone that doesn’t come close enough to it is gone. We will never have another Reggie type coach that was fine with being average. It’s heartbreaking and I truly bought in to the Gonzaga of the East bullsh*t. Repeatedly saying you’re done with the team and done with sports however is counterproductive. If you’re truly done, then stop posting on these forums 

6 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

If you are Oats how do you say no to an offer that in the first year alone will most likely give you enough money to put your three children through college and over the contract will get you a level of comfort that two weeks earlier was unimaginable?

This is 2019 and sports has been a business, and will continue to be a business, rather than fun and games for decades.

As for the 1st point, I'm sure that the 4+ million dollar contract would've been plenty to pay for 3 kids colleges and achieve plenty of comfort. There is what, maybe 0.0001% of people who earn nearly a million dollars a year annually in this country. I know i am nowhere near that and i live plenty comfortably. 

As for the 2nd point, i see the business side most clearly now. I had my fun this season, and the past few seasons. I will continue to support ub, but my level of fandom for it has certainly been tested, along with the way i will look at the people involved on those teams. Evidently i considered them all people (who were in it with us together) in the past, coaches, players, ADs, but instead, they are all just looking for advancement. I clearly see thar now. 

• Like 1

Let me get some opinions on this. Perhaps Oats wasn’t as good of a coach as we all thought and our dominance of the MAC was purely based on having all around better players. Our recruiting recently has been head and shoulders above the rest of the MAC and when we finally went up against teams with equal or better recruits, Oats was exposed (Marquette, Texas Tech) Any thoughts on this?

Just now, 961819 said:

Let me get some opinions on this. Perhaps Oats wasn’t as good of a coach as we all thought and our dominance of the MAC was purely based on having all around better players. Our recruiting recently has been head and shoulders above the rest of the MAC and when we finally went up against teams with equal or better recruits, Oats was exposed (Marquette, Texas Tech) Any thoughts on this?

This is my opinion...I contend that they were a fantastic staff that all had their roles. Nate was the front man, decision maker, offensive guru. Jim was in charge of the opponent, defense, and big man development. Jamie was in charge of guards. Bryan was in charge of hitting the pavement and promoting the UB brand and bringing in new talent. They worked wonderfully together. I don't think he or they were "exposed" by a guy who just shot the lights out in a game or the #1 D in the land who is currently in the Final 4 and just decimated Michigan and beat Gonzaga, holding UM to their lowest point output of the season and holding the Zags well under theirs. Oats is good at what he does. Don't kid yourself. Additionally, we did have all around better players, this season especially. In his first year, did we have better players? I'm not quite sure, we had good ones, but more equal to the MAC. I still feel that we have many players here who are superior to most teams in the MAC next year. There is no reason why UB can't be top end in league next year if we get this done right.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2019 at 9:48 PM, mikescherrer8 said:

What's it even matter at this point, this sets back the program bad. And even if we get a coach who performs at the same level of Nate, they're just going to up and leave, and this is going to be the same pattern. It's all the same with every mid major coach who does well and jumps ship. It's absolutely demoralizing. I actually believed Oats when he had visions of building something here, the Gonzaga of the East. And it was all a sham. Back to square one it is. Hope we recover....

It may feel like a sham. But I can guarantee it was real. 

19 hours ago, 961819 said:

can't say either way - not enough of a body of work at d1. a couple good years though, and the diehard fans get all excited and have visions of big10 dancing in their heads...

19 hours ago, 961819 said:

Well if Texas Tech "exposed" Buffalo, they also exposed Michigan and Gonzaga.