Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Post-Oats Discussions

UB05

29 minutes ago, sportscliche said:

Some perspective on what might be considered Alnutt's lack of urgency in making a hire:

As of today, UCLA has not had an official head coach for 91 days. And counting.

ucla is a highly desirable job that has the resources to grab almost who ever they want, even if they already have a cushy job.  and even with their crappy years, they can recruit.  they don't have to have the same sense of urgency we do.  

1 hour ago, ButlerAlumDad said:

REALITY CHECK!!! 6 years ago UB would have been lucky to beat a team like RAP or City Rocks. Hurley left a MAC tournament ready team. Today expectations to continue the last 2 years are high. REALITY... there is no long standing tradition or identification to build on. True, the down & dirty hard hat mentality is being promoted just as the "New York State Bulls" were under DW. Hurley brought attention to the program and upped the donor attention. DW did too. A big fall off under AG. I truly believe MA is looking to define the program long term. He could look to local ties like Lanier or Battle for 5-8 year sustainability as well as develop a program face and identity or risk hiring a Pitino for immediate attention and 2-3 years. Alumni Arena is not Cameron, Rupp, Yum Center, Assembly Hall, Hinkle, or even Rose Hall, etc. Other local schools though 2 have slidden downhill recently have more tradition, especially the one to the south. Comparing UB, to Gonzaga, VCU or Butler is a joke at the moment. Tradition has a lot to do with it. As UB is a public state school, many have to buy in including the State, town and city. Will spectators pay 1/4 of what they pay currently for the entire season for a bleacher seat for just 1 game? I doubt it. I won't reveal my UB seat location however at the Carrier Dome the equal seats would be $365 per seat a game though it includes a buffet and 2 drinks in the club at the 'Dome. At Cameron and Hinkle its even more. 

UB.JPG

Thank God it’s not Rose Hall! Fordham? Really? Do they still have a team even?

25 minutes ago, squire17 said:

Thank God it’s not Rose Hall! Fordham? Really? Do they still have a team even?

Rose Hill upgraded though still a 3200 capacity. new video, on the ends and sidelines. restrooms need work. Still a historic building. It maybe a media challenge when the NYS Federation Cup starts there next year. Not much sideline space. RANKING ARENAS: (NBC Sports) Cameron (Duke), Allen Field house (Kansas), Hinkle Field house (Butler), Carrier Dome (Syracuse), Dean Smith Center (North Carolina), Assembly Hall (Indiana University), The Palestra (University of Pennsylvania), Rupp Arena (U of K), MSG (St. Johns), Harry Hampel Pavilion (UConn)

59 minutes ago, ButlerAlumDad said:

Rose Hill upgraded though still a 3200 capacity. new video, on the ends and sidelines. restrooms need work. Still a historic building. It maybe a media challenge when the NYS Federation Cup starts there next year. Not much sideline space. RANKING ARENAS: (NBC Sports) Cameron (Duke), Allen Field house (Kansas), Hinkle Field house (Butler), Carrier Dome (Syracuse), Dean Smith Center (North Carolina), Assembly Hall (Indiana University), The Palestra (University of Pennsylvania), Rupp Arena (U of K), MSG (St. Johns), Harry Hampel Pavilion (UConn)

the carrier dome is a pile of junk. Seriously aluminum bleacher seats. Just awful

Just a thought I haven’t seen discussed yet...

Plenty of players don’t officially commit until taking an official visit.  Could it be that Nate didn’t know he would accept the job when he left Buffalo?  In that scenario, how would you address your team before getting on the plane?  “Maybe I’ll see you tomorrow, and maybe I won’t.”; doesn’t seem like a good idea.  

2 minutes ago, 121Merrimac said:

Plenty of players don’t officially commit until taking an official visit.  Could it be that Nate didn’t know he would accept the job when he left Buffalo?  In that scenario, how would you address your team before getting on the plane?  “Maybe I’ll see you tomorrow, and maybe I won’t.”; doesn’t seem like a good idea.  

No, he accepted the position before he left

3 minutes ago, 121Merrimac said:

No.

Nate already commented that they got the deal done in his house over enchiladas. It was official by the time he got on that plane. 

1 hour ago, ButlerAlumDad said:

I’ve been in the Palestra. Aside from a historical significance, I’ll take Alumni Arena any day.

3 hours ago, ButlerAlumDad said:

agree. Chris Holtman was HC at Gardner-Webb and left to be an ordinary assistant under Brad Stevens at Butler. 3 years later he bolted for "The Ohio State" thus the moniker "Boltman".

Wrong. He left Gardner-Webb to be the head coach at Butler. He stayed in that roll for 3 years. Then took over at thee Ohio State. 

This wasn’t meant as a defense, purely speculation.  Many deals have contingencies.  “I’ll officially buy your house, as long as it passes inspection next week.”.  Isn’t it possible that the parents wanted to see the area before committing themselves and their children to the area?   

30 minutes ago, 121Merrimac said:

They had a memorandum of understanding in place before he resigned and flew down.  They just didn't have the final contract finished and approved by the board of regents before he flew down.  UA and him had the deal when he resigned and got on the plane.

He turned his back on the team and never thought of them again and his young assistants flew down with him.

21 minutes ago, squire17 said:

Wrong. He left Gardner-Webb to be the head coach at Butler. He stayed in that roll for 3 years. Then took over at thee Ohio State. 

you are wrong. He came to Butler per Brad Stevens for Brandon Miller and was named head coach when Brandon went on medical leave.

On July 15, 2013, Holtmann left Gardner-Webb to join the Butler staff as an assistant coach under Brandon Miller.[11] Explaining his decision, Miller said Holtmann's experience "speaks for itself" and added "his values and what he stands for, who he is as a person, fits Butler University."[6] Upon his departure, Gardner-Webb described Holtmann's tenure as a successful major rebuilding effort. Vice President Chuck Burch remarked, "We are grateful for the resurgence Chris created here at Gardner-Webb. He will be sorely missed, both on and off the court."[10] Every senior he coached during his three years there earned a degree.[12]

After one year as an assistant coach, Holtmann was named interim head coach on October 2, 2014 when Miller took a medical leave of absence. As interim coach, he guided Butler to a 10–4 start including a third-place finish in the Battle 4 Atlantis tournament.[13] On the basis of the strong start, Butler was ranked as high as #15 in the AP Poll. On January 2, 2015, the interim tag was removed and Holtmann became the 23rd head coach of the Butler University men's basketball team. Announcing the decision, athletic director Barry Colliersaid Holtmann had "coached successfully in a difficult situation" and embodied The Butler Way as interim coach.[14]

Upon receiving the job, Holtmann commented "The Butler Way resonates with who I am, who I want to be, who I'm trying to be, and with my family and our values."[15]

Jeff Goodman of ESPN has described Holtmann as "a guy who just flat-out gets it. He has a tremendous work ethic, connects with his players, can recruit and also knows the game."[5] Recruiting expert Dave Telep said Holtmann "has always done a good job with his [player] evaluations" and said few coaches work harder than him.[5] During his career, Holtmann has recruited seven all-conference players. Thirteen players he coached or recruited have gone on to play professionally.[12]

The Bulldogs surged into the polls in the early portion of the 2016–17 season, beating eventual NCAA Tournament teams Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Cincinnati, Arizona, Bucknell, and Vermont en route to an 11–1 non-conference start. Holtmann won Big East Coach of the Year[16] honors after guiding the Bulldogs to a second-place finish (they were picked in the preseason to finish sixth [17]), which included a season sweep of defending champion Villanova. Butler's 12–6 mark in conference play was the best of their four-season history in the Big East. The Bulldogs also earned a 4th seed, their highest seed in program history, in the 2017 NCAA Tournament.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, squire17 said:

Actually, Squire, BAD is right. He left to serve as an assistant at Butler, through it was under Brandon Miller instead of Brad Stevens. A good example of a coach stepping back to move forward which flies in the face of my concerns with regards to Fife.

2 minutes ago, McBulls said:

Actually, Squire, BAD is right. He left to serve as an assistant at Butler, through it was under Brandon Miller instead of Brad Stevens. A good example of a coach stepping back to move forward which flies in the face of my concerns with regards to Fife.

Brad brought his name up to Brandon. Holtman was working as an assistant to John Croce before he went to Gardner-Webb. Croce was a Butler assistant for a year at Butler during Miller's playing days. I believe Brad went from basketball operations to assistant coach when Croce left. 

I would caution everyone, there is a lot to this that none of us know. I heard something just a while ago that shocked me as I assumed something that turns out to be totally and completely inaccurate. I cannot say what that is because I got the info from someone involved in the process. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, UB85 said:

I would caution everyone, there is a lot to this that none of us know. I heard something just a while ago that shocked me as I assumed something that turns out to be totally and completely inaccurate. I cannot say what that is because I got the info from someone involved in the process. 

Well this is a tease! 

Edit: it doesn’t surprise me though, all our “news” has come from people with an agenda so far

Edited by UB05

10 minutes ago, UB85 said:

Give us a hint. Good or bad?

27 minutes ago, squire17 said:

Give us a hint. Good or bad?

Depends on your point if view I suppose and perhaps just neutral. I just hope when all is said and done the fans and the UB community get a full airing of what the heck has been going on leading up to Nate's leaving and since. I am not confident in Alnut though. He has never as far as I know been front and center where he was promoting his vision, objectives and plans for UB athletics. That's why I will always be a Danny White fan, even though there some things about his tenure I wasn't overly pleased with.

Edited by UB85
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, UB85 said:

Depends on your point if view I suppose and perhaps just neutral. I just hope when all is said and done the fans and the UB community get a full airing of what the heck has been going on leading up to Nate's leaving and since. I am not confident in Alnut though. He has never as far as I know been front and center where he was promoting his vision, objectives and plans for UB athletics. That's why I will always be a Danny White fan, even though there some things about his tenure I wasn't overly pleased with.

The suspense is killing me