Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Sports vs Academia

One would think that the increased vibrancy of UB’s athletic teams would translate into an increased interest in applying to UB and a concomitant better academic caliber of students at UB. I think that there actually is such a connection - and I believe that it is stronger than many would care to admit. The reason that I started this topic is that “Business First” just published its academic rankings of all public institutions of higher education in the United States. Buffalo fell from being ranked 27th last year to 42nd this year. I find this dismaying especially in light of the tremendous accomplishments of the UB athletic teams over the past few years. I don’t know how much credence to put in the results or the methodology that was used to determine the rankings. There does seem to be a disconnect, however. 

I have a theory that after these rankings are first published, many institutions try to game the system by ‘tweaking’ their numbers in order to enhance their standing. By the way, 42nd is still pretty damn good - especially considering the price of attending. Any thoughts, while we await the big announcement(s)?

• Like 1

To put some perspective into these rankings. #2 North Carolina (above schools like Berkeley, UCLA).  #16 Binghamton above #17 Minnesota, #19 Ohio State, #22 Pitt. #76 is AAU member University of Arizona.  #83 SUNY New Paltz is two spots below #81 University of Nebraska. #122 University of Cincinnati is two spots above #124 SUNY Oneonta.  Kent State University is not considered a "lower echelon" school.

Edited by rma

4 minutes ago, ed said:

What is Business First, and why should I care? I've literally never heard of the org. 

Business First is an on-line/paper news establishment. It may have many hubs. In Buffalo NY, it daily dispenses info regarding just about anything that purportedly can be measured statistically. I don’t know if you’re from WNY, Ed. But if you are, you ought to at least take a look at their yearly school comparison issue. The info is available for subscribers either online or in magazine format. 

Now as to why you should care: I think that the more information that is available to examine, the better decisions that we can make. But you may think otherwise, and I respect your decision to make your own choices.

2 minutes ago, squire17 said:

Business First is an on-line/paper news establishment. It may have many hubs. In Buffalo NY, it daily dispenses info regarding just about anything that purportedly can be measured statistically. I don’t know if you’re from WNY, Ed. But if you are, you ought to at least take a look at their yearly school comparison issue. The info is available for subscribers either online or in magazine format. 

Now as to why you should care: I think that the more information that is available to examine, the better decisions that we can make. But you may think otherwise, and I respect your decision to make your own choices.

In SoCal since I graduated. 

As for caring, I'm still not sure why I should care about the national rankings of a random online source. What makes them worth anything? It seems to be "**buffalo** business first"? - does anyone outside buffalo care what they have to say? If not, what does it matter what their rankings say? Are they any better than a ranking from, for example, the Cortland standard (insert random local paper of your choice)?

1 minute ago, ed said:

In SoCal since I graduated. 

As for caring, I'm still not sure why I should care about the national rankings of a random online source. What makes them worth anything? It seems to be "**buffalo** business first"? - does anyone outside buffalo care what they have to say? If not, what does it matter what their rankings say? Are they any better than a ranking from, for example, the Cortland standard (insert random local paper of your choice)?

Ed, you are right.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_City_Business_Journals

There you go. Each paper caters to the local market of publication, but the patent company is based elsewhere. Lists/rankings including school rankings (other examples- lists of fastest growing companies, data with regards to income growth and population change) are a popular item prepared for and distributed to each of the local markets for publications.