Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Jim Whitesell - UB's New Head Coach

Kevin

1 minute ago, UB05 said:

Well, that should at least keep our guys here

Not if what Hodgeson said was true, that they were all recruited by him

UB makes money on losing Oats. Keeps the 750k, and assumes to have a lower salary than other candidates. 

I was right all along in assuming Whitesell was higher than Hodgson from the start.

Edited by Kevin

Just now, Kevin said:

Not if what Hodgeson said was true, that they were all recruited by him

UB makes money on losing Oats. Keeps the 750k, and assumes to have a lower salary than other canidates. 

Sorry, I should have been more specific. Should at least keep our current players here.

As for banking the extra cash, they should use it for better assistants or put it in the rec building fund (does this exist?)

Not sure what my initial reaction is.

Maybe because of all the names, time, and search Im a little letdown. But I have no idea what went on behind the scenes.

Whitesell probably was the best bet to keep the current roster intact and if that comes to be true, then its not a horrible "hire" at all. This roster is very good and keeps some consistency.

I just dont think BH was to be trusted or else he would have been a good candidate. His lack of HC experience probably hurt too.

After hearing Murray, Lanier, Stepehens etc... I think I was just hoping for that splash. Although after the dust settles Im just happy we did the work and have made a decision. Now lets start building towards next season.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, squire17 said:

I’m on board. Just wish it had been decided earlier.

I think I was ok with the heavy search for the bigger fish... As long as we didn't lose anything in the process. And so far it appears despite the search, we didn't lose anyone on the roster. So the wait didn't have any effects that I can see right now... as far as recruits go that was going to happen either way.

I guess in a perfect world we could have kept both Hodgson and Whitsell while Oats created a new staff. But didnt fall that way.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, xDerekRx said:

I think I was ok with the heavy search for the bigger fish... As long as we didn't lose anything in the process. And so far it appears despite the search, we didn't lose anyone on the roster. So the wait didn't have any effects that I can see right now... as far as recruits go that was going to happen either way.

I guess in a perfect world we could have kept both Hodgson and Whitsell while Oats created a new staff. But didnt fall that way.

I wonder if one of the reasons for the length of this process was about keeping hodgson on staff somehow. Maybe just weird timing but hodgson releases his goodbye to buffalo right before whitesell is named head coach

The point is, the administration wanted Whitesell to go up against some of the top names in the business for this job and not just hand it to him if he wasn't the best fit.

This should make us even more confident that he crushed his interviews over everyone else

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, squire17 said:

I’m on board. Just wish it had been decided earlier.

Same. This took too long.

For reference

Apr 9 2015 - Hurley announced he's leaving

Apr 9 2015 - Oats named interim

Apr 13 2015 - Oats made permanent

Edited by Bullions
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

Jim is about as nice of a guy as one can be. He's also an EXCELLENT basketball coach. He has been around the game for a long time and knows many coaches. I am very much rooting for him.

Rooting for him as well. Can only imagine how much this fiasco cost the university. Alnutt needs to explain himself for throwing money around so easily.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

I wonder if one of the reasons for the length of this process was about keeping hodgson on staff somehow. Maybe just weird timing but hodgson releases his goodbye to buffalo right before whitesell is named head coach

I think there were more legal implications with the vacation to  Florida BH took then anything else.  

The move is getting the praise from several of the graduating players. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Bullions said:

Same. This took too long.

For reference

Apr 9 2015 - Hurley announced he's leaving

Apr 9 2015 - Oats named interim

Apr 13 2015 - Oats made permanent

This is a terrible argument.  It is only April 6... Hurley was still our coach for three more days.  Oats was named coach on Apr. 13, one full week later than right now.

It is is totally different situation.

5 minutes ago, 961819 said:

Personally I am not sold on this and think Alnutt should be ashamed 

Just now, 961819 said:

All I’m saying is we better hire a damn good recruiter. Whitesell is a good coach, but what we need is someone that can rebuild this shitshow of a recruiting class 

Pardon my language

I think this is extremely excessive but its your opinion.

The options were start over with a new era or keep some experience and keep continuity. And also its possible 2-3 of Alnutts top choices turned down the job. We dont know.

They chose to keep the roster continuity. 

But yes his recruiter hire/staff will be absolutely key to him keeping the program rolling.

1 minute ago, Nonickname said:

Translation: No one wanted the job 

This is nonsense. We aren’t Kennesaw State or Stetson. We’ve made the tournament 4 out of 5 years, have a great current roster, and are a launching pad for coaches into 7 figure salaries. I’m sorry if I’m being an ass but this “no one wanted the job” narrative is garbage

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Just now, xDerekRx said:

I think this is extremely excessive but its your opinion.

The options were start over with a new era or keep some experience and keep continuity. And also its possible 2-3 of Alnutts top choices turned down the job. We dont know.

They chose to keep the roster continuity. 

But yes his recruiter hire/staff will be absolutely key to him keeping the program rolling.

There’s nothing excessive about it, it’s just different from your opinion. I had my doubts about Alnutt, this just proved them. They should’ve hired a new coach from a P5 school with recruiting connections and had Whitesell stay as an assistant. This is just embarrassing in my opinion 

1 minute ago, 961819 said:

There’s nothing excessive about it, it’s just different from your opinion. I had my doubts about Alnutt, this just proved them. They should’ve hired a new coach from a P5 school with recruiting connections and had Whitesell stay as an assistant. This is just embarrassing in my opinion 

Yes but you're also assuming he didn't offer any of the rumored P5 guys the job...?

• Confused 1