Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Jim Whitesell - UB's New Head Coach

Kevin

1 minute ago, Kevin said:

I was flat out told this, and it seems to be true. 

To say that ‘no one wanted the job’ can’t be true. We don’t know the particulars such as salary - which probably varied from candidate to candidate. As an example let’s say that Assistant Coach Bigtime was earning $450 at a P5. He probably wants a significant raise in pay to be HC, but perhaps ADMA doesn’t want to go that route. I think Whitesell is going to work out just fine.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, UB05 said:

Considering an hour ago you “reported” that it was down to a final 3, forgive me for laughing at your agreement about no one wanting the job 😂

Maybe all 3 said no. Unfortunately we will probably never know. Something just seems off about this whole situation.  

14 minutes ago, Kevin said:

The point was we needed a coach to come in and bring in a few players. 

Whitesell is going to have his hands full keeping his team here. 

Where in the world does he find 5 scholarships from in April? He didn't have his own pipeline, Bryan's job was to recruit. 

I have no problems with Whitesell, but this whole thing was botched.

I couldn’t agree more....I think Whitesell is a tremendous coach...however if a few more players leave and he can’t get any last minute recruits...we are in jeopardy of sliding back to MAC mediocrity. 

Not pleased with the choice. If it was going to be Whitesell, why wait till now? Why hire a search firm? Why keep our recruiting class dangling?  This has the look of Alnutt not being able to get a good outside candidate to take the job and settling for what we had, minus our recruiting class.

• Like 1

There are 500 transfers out there and 4 of Buffalos own recruits in the process of decomitting. I think we’ll be fine but Whitesell has to hit the ground running and lets hope he has a sales pitch ready. I’d also have to think one of the first questions to the candidates were “who will your assistants be?” Gotta think with all his experience and connections we have someone lined up to recruit

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, UB05 said:

This is nonsense. We aren’t Kennesaw State or Stetson. We’ve made the tournament 4 out of 5 years, have a great current roster, and are a launching pad for coaches into 7 figure salaries. I’m sorry if I’m being an ass but this “no one wanted the job” narrative is garbage

"We" didn't do any of that. Oats, his assistants and the 5 seniors did that. Now they're all gone along with our recruiting class. Back to being pumpkins. I'm not pleased with how this all went down. Was ADMA caught flat-footed? 

2 minutes ago, promotherobot said:

"We" didn't do any of that. Oats, his assistants and the 5 seniors did that. Now they're all gone along with our recruiting class. Back to being pumpkins. I'm not pleased with how this all went down. Was ADMA caught flat-footed? 

Lol force of habit, my bad. I’ll work on my semantics next time now that I know people care so much

8 minutes ago, promotherobot said:

. Back to being pumpkins. I'm not pleased with how this all went down. 

Im not sure how you figure that so quickly?

If he keeps the current roster intact, maybe adds here or there, we should be very good this year.

I’m not inspired by this hire and I’m a little concerned as to what the AD and search firm were doing all week?  But ok, he’s the guy so I will get behind Whitesell and see where it goes.

I’m assuming those de-commits were Oats/Hodgson guys anyway so they weren’t staying at UB regardless.  Hoping he can keep the rest of the team intact and play up-tempo

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, promotherobot said:

Not pleased with the choice. If it was going to be Whitesell, why wait till now? Why hire a search firm? Why keep our recruiting class dangling?  This has the look of Alnutt not being able to get a good outside candidate to take the job and settling for what we had, minus our recruiting class.

I think some of these answers might be as simple as A) we hired a firm to go after a larger guy Lanier, Murray, Stephens so forth. B) We couldn't land one of those guys and thus fell back to Whitsell. 

I like that we went after these names but you also can't force those names to sign.

I dont feel like we lost anything in the process (I guess $$$, not sure what a firm costs?) What I mean is Im not sure it did any difference whether we promoted Jim day 1 or today and might as well see whats out there if it all ended up the same

3 minutes ago, xDerekRx said:

I think some of these answers might be as simple as A) we hired a firm to go after a larger guy Lanier, Murray, Stephens so forth. B) We couldn't land one of those guys and thus fell back to Whitsell. 

I like that we went after these names but you also can't force those names to sign.

I dont feel like we lost anything in the process (I guess $$$, not sure what a firm costs?) What I mean is Im not sure it did any difference whether we promoted Jim day 1 or today and might as well see whats out there if it all ended up the same

I'd love to know why we couldn't land these guys? If you weren't going to pay the going rate, why go through the charade?

• Like 1

If the UB men’s basketball team wins the MAC tournament again next year, I will get Jim Whitesell’s face tattoo’d on my chest to constantly remind me that I was wrong about this hire

I fully believe in his coaching ability, I just have my doubts that we will be able to recruit as aggressively as we did with Hodgson 

Edited by 961819
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, 961819 said:

If the UB men’s basketball team wins the MAC tournament again next year, I will get Jim Whitesell’s face tattoo’d on my chest to constantly remind me that I was wrong about this hire

Definitely saving this 😅

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, promotherobot said:

I'd love to know why we couldn't land these guys? If you weren't going to pay the going rate, why go through the charade?

Thats the million dollar question. Was it money, or did the guys chose other places.

We have no idea. If he was offering every coach 750k and they declined, what could we do?

What do we honestly think Whitsell is making now? 250? 350?

3 minutes ago, xDerekRx said:

Thats the million dollar question. Was it money, or did the guys chose other places.

We have no idea. If he was offering every coach 750k and they declined, what could we do?

His new deal has to be more than 250-350. Unless you were referring to his assistant coaching pay, in which case I apologize. If he only gets 250-350k as head coach I'd be floored (I'm not tattooing anything on myself however). Additionally,  if we're only paying 250-350 for our head coach, they filled the coffers with the savings from nate and the buyout for him 

8 minutes ago, xDerekRx said:

We will find out in the coming days then the contract is FOILed

41 minutes ago, UB05 said:

Considering an hour ago you “reported” that it was down to a final 3, forgive me for laughing at your agreement about no one wanting the job 😂

I was told this by one of the candidates. Certain members on the board can confirm (I showed them the report)

Sorry if it offends you, but it was true. 

I'll also follow it with this, which also came from the candidate:

"And you are very very confused about the business if you are saying you are not sure why someone would turn the job down lol"

12 minutes ago, xDerekRx said:

200k based on what I heard.

Got a bump to like 350k I'm sure. Oats was making what, 650k previous to the new deal?

UB wins and pockets the rest from the buyout clause and reduced salary.

Nice business. 

3 minutes ago, Kevin said:

200k based on what I heard.

Got a bump to like 350k I'm sure. Oats was making what, 650k previous to the new deal?

UB wins and pockets the rest from the buyout clause and reduced salary.

Nice business. 

The biggest win would've been paying Nate more and keeping him and thole whole staff/roster together, provided that could've happened.

As it stands, "UB wins" remains to be seen. I wonder what the cost of the search firm was. I fully throw my support behind Jim from this day forward. At least this brings some closure, for now, unless other shoes drop. I have to believe that the current roster players respect and care for Jim and would be happy playing for him.

• Like 1