Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Jim Whitesell - UB's New Head Coach

Kevin

18 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

The biggest win would've been paying Nate more and keeping him and thole whole staff/roster together, provided that could've happened.

As it stands, "UB wins" remains to be seen. I wonder what the cost of the search firm was. I fully throw my support behind Jim from this day forward. At least this brings some closure, for now, unless other shoes drop. I have to believe that the current roster players respect and care for Jim and would be happy playing for him.

From a financial standpoint they do. 

Jim had to have sold Alnutt on the team staying with him regardless of the recruits leaving and I'm assuming sold him on an associate HC and plan for the 5 open scholarships.

Without this, I'm not sure how you would get a job. Mark may have given him a week to gather all of the details.

The second they all arrived in MN together, I know something seemed up. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kevin said:

I was told this by one of the candidates. Certain members on the board can confirm (I showed them the report)

Sorry if it offends you, but it was true. 

I'll also follow it with this, which also came from the candidate:

"And you are very very confused about the business if you are saying you are not sure why someone would turn the job down lol"

I’m not offended at all, and if I came off as an ass I apologize. But you were talking out both sides of your mouth. if a couple candidates didn’t end up taking the job, it doesn’t in any way shape or form mean that it wasn’t a lucrative and sought after opening. 

Yeah I mean it's obvious we missed out on a few folks. Disappointing that the admin couldn't do more over the last 5 years to parlay our on court success to program prestige. (Have the god damn international students stop wizzing badminton birdies past our guys in Triple Gym.)

This could work out if everyone on the roster hangs on. I remember a video of the guys singing happy birthday to Whitesell earlier this year - they seemed to have affection for him. The only concern is that he's a defensive coach who prefers to slow down and be in control. Harder to sell UB to stud recruits at this level without our tempo.

Just a personal thought as someone who is extremely online and younger (I assume) than most of this board. Ronaldo Segu is the most important person in UB basketball. If we keep him, we stay relevant with his peer players. We keep some swag and comraderie. #trustinrondo

First off, I want to let you all know that I believe Jim Whitesell is a great basketball mind and has a tremendous opportunity in front of him. He has previous D1 coaching experience and will be prepared for the challenges he's about to encounter at Buffalo.

My article is focused on Buffalo's "botched" search. From what I know, things did not go according to plan. We can all debate about what that means for the future of their program but we need to acknowledge, this was far from a smooth process that went as poorly as possibly.

That reflects on Alnutt, not Whitesell. He might not be the man I expected for the job but he should be given every opportunity by the fanbase to prove himself. It all starts now with trying to fill their five open scholarships.

LINK: Buffalo conducts uninspiring search, hiring Jim Whitesell

Edited by Big 4 Hoops Blogger

4 hours ago, 961819 said:

??????? I’m embarrassed that he threw money around for a search firm just to end up hiring someone that’s been on our staff the whole time. I’m embarrassed because I’m almost positive he tried being stingy with how much he was going to pay which is why the P5 coaches turned us down. What is so difficult to understand here?

UB has proven itself to be a launchpad for coaches to get eventual P5 head coaching positions that pay 7 figures. Why the hell else would they turn down that chance??

The search firm happened because we weren’t stingy and went for the best we could get. 

And the beat beat was an internal hire. 

I am am happy with it. 

17 minutes ago, Big 4 Hoops Blogger said:

First off, I want to let you all know that I believe Jim Whitesell is a great basketball mind and has a tremendous opportunity in front of him. He has previous D1 coaching experience and will be prepared for the challenges he's about to encounter at Buffalo.

My article is focused on Buffalo's "botched" search. From what I know, things did not go according to plan. We can all debate about what that means for the future of their program but we need to acknowledge, this was far from a smooth process that went as poorly as possibly.

That reflects on Alnutt, not Whitesell. He might not be the man I expected for the job but he should be given every opportunity by the fanbase to prove himself. It all starts now with trying to fill their five open scholarships.

LINK: Buffalo conducts uninspiring search, hiring Jim Whitesell

Your obsession with Hodgson clouds your judgement. 

I am am guessing you’re one of the people Hodgson was calling to lobby for favorable press for his hiring. 

I struggle to take your “insights “ seriously. 

2 hours ago, Kevin said:

From a financial standpoint they do. 

Jim had to have sold Alnutt on the team staying with him regardless of the recruits leaving and I'm assuming sold him on an associate HC and plan for the 5 open scholarships.

Without this, I'm not sure how you would get a job. Mark may have given him a week to gather all of the details.

The second they all arrived in MN together, I know something seemed up. 

Woof.  And the numbers are out. UB can pay Whitesell with Oats' buy out 

10 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

Your obsession with Hodgson clouds your judgement. 

I am am guessing you’re one of the people Hodgson was calling to lobby for favorable press for his hiring. 

I struggle to take your “insights “ seriously. 

That's completely fine. You're entitled to your opinion. I will add that I've never spoken to Bryan Hodgson once in my life.

I did believe hiring him was the right choice but I also thought they had a great list of finalists if the names reported were accurate. 

I think Dane Fife, Luke Murray and Rob Lanier all could've turned out well. In fact, I think Jim Whitesell will do just fine. My column is focused more on how the search was botched, not who they actually hired.

Edited by Big 4 Hoops Blogger

One thing Whitesell has going for him that the others didn’t.  A Top 25 ranking all season, a name brand program..and a couple NCAA wins the past two years.  He should be able to parlay that into some excellent options when recruiting this offseason.  

Whitesell has kept the team together. You would normally hear of transfers in this situation. He has the support of the players. It is possible he was a key part of the success and the players recognize it. 

I like the hire.  

He is only person from the old staff that was actually committed to the players and focused on them. 

4 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

Whitesell has kept the team together. You would normally hear of transfers in this situation. He has the support of the players. It is possible he was a key part of the success and the players recognize it. 

I like the hire.  

He is only person from the old staff that was actually committed to the players and focused on them. 

I'd wager that Jamie Q would be committed to the players here as well. I hope that he stays on staff as well.

6 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

The contract might be the reason whitesell was hired.

Assuming any coach rumored to have interviewed would have commanded 500k plus.

The ones interviewed weren't 200k plus better than whitesell

Hopefully they take the money they saved and put it towards a facilities fund.

48 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Woof.  And the numbers are out. UB can pay Whitesell with Oats' buy out 

FWIW: Boals is getting $581k at Ohio, was getting $365k at Stony Brook.

We should be paying Ohio salaries, not Stony Brook salaries.  Not saying Whitesell is worth $581k, but if we weren't offering that level of money to other candidates, it's not good.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, rma said:

FWIW: Boals is getting $581k at Ohio, was getting $365k at Stony Brook.

We should be paying Ohio salaries, not Stony Brook salaries.  Not saying Whitesell is worth $581k, but if we weren't offering that level of money to other candidates, it's not good.

I'm kinda shocked he didnt get paid more. His resume is solid. His last head coach job was his first coaching job in division 1. Since then he has coached with steve lavin, rick Majerus and nate oats

Hopefully they are putting the money saved to good use

5 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

I'm kinda shocked he didnt get paid more. His resume is solid. His last head coach job was his first coaching job in division 1. Since then he has coached with steve lavin, rick Majerus and nate oats

Hopefully they are putting the money saved to good use

Well hopefully season tickets don't go up.  I'd still pay it, but more casual fans might not.

4 minutes ago, rma said:

Well hopefully season tickets don't go up.  I'd still pay it, but more casual fans might not.

Same. Without the need to pay for the high salary of Nate, there's no need for it. Also, after all the people who have jumped off the bandwagon already, I think the numbers will be dwindling in the stands already. They will come back if the team is a winner, but for now, there are many non-believers who aren't the hardcore fans like many of us.

We were committed to paying over $800k a few weeks ago to Nate Oats and now we’re paying $300k to Whitesell? This is a colossal step back in the public perception over whether or not we’re committed to this program. 

Still, I don’t hate the hire and I hope he maintains the style we have grown to enjoy. Good luck, Coach. 

Edited by clodney