Jim Whitesell - UB's New Head Coach

Kevin

1 hour ago, 961819 said:

Derrik Smits 7’2 from Valparaiso 

Joey Brunk 6’11 from Butler

Jalone Friday 6’10 from Abilene Christian

Alihan Demir 6’9 from Drexel

Pat Andree 6’8 from Lehigh 

All are solid players with good track records of solid post presence and all are on the transfer portal and the best part is they would all be immediately eligible to play

The best big on the transfer list that I would love to see UB try to add is 2 ️ Noah Horchler from North Florida, however he would have to sit out a year

How about Andre Allen? 😉

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

Jalone Friday was dismissed from ACU so I'm not sure he's the guy we want if we're trying to maintain the culture in the program

Didn’t know that, definitely not a good look

5 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

Not yet.  He has not been given a release yet.

I don’t want to have a player here against their will, that just wouldn’t be fair to him especially since he only has 2 years remaining 

10 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

Just curious is anyone here who is talking here and the other thread about UB picking up grad transfers complain about KJ Osborn going to Miami?

I personally haven’t. I totally understand Osborn’s decision. Bigger spotlight, more opportunity to showcase his talents, and I’m grateful for what he did for UB

9 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

Just curious is anyone here who is talking here and the other thread about UB picking up grad transfers complain about KJ Osborn going to Miami?

To heck with KJ, Mabry too. They're too good for UB.

I haven't posted about this topic. I think our 1st task isn't about transfers, but trying to get Allen,  rojas and cadwell (williams too). Then see what else is out there.

3 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

To heck with KJ, Mabry too. They're too good for UB.

I haven't posted about this topic. I think our 1st task isn't about transfers, but trying to get Allen,  rojas and cadwell (williams too). Then see what else is out there.

Agree with the retaining our recruits, disagree with KJ and Mabry being too good for UB. I hope that’s not actually how you feel because that mindset basically means we only deserve 2 star players and don’t have a right to try to be competitive 

6 hours ago, dutchcountry7 said:

The naming of an interim head coach is simply having the most senior member of your staff hold the program together while you decide the path forward for the program. 

You cant name a junior member of the staff as the interim head coach because that is a statement about the path of the program. That is a decision and would be done in haste. 

Also, I believe Hodgson was gone and not available when Whitesell was named interim. You don’t give the title and power over the program to someone who just skipped town. 

1. You say  "The naming of an interim head coach is simply having the most senior member of your staff hold the program together while you decide the path forward for the program".

-- I disagree.  The whole point of my post (which you apparently missed) is that this circumstance was unusual since it was THE MOST IMPORTANT HIRE that UB has had, for the reasons I mention.  And, thus, naming the "most senior member of your staff" as interim, while typical, was NOT THE RIGHT MOVE in this instance, for the reason I mention.

2. You say "You cant name a junior member of the staff as the interim head coach because that is a statement about the path of the program. That is a decision and would be done in haste"

--   On April 9th, 2015 Hurley was hired at ASU.  That SAME DAY Nate Oats was name interim head coach.  Levi Watkins was on the staff at the time...and he had more NCAA experience than Oats.   Oats was name the head coach (after being named interim coach) two days later.  My contention is that the recruits were so important to the program that Hodgson should have been named interim since there was a crucial need to work on keeping the recruits.  But you certain can name a junior member of the staff -- the AD made the choice not to.

3.   "Also, I believe Hodgson was gone and not available when Whitesell was named interim. You don’t give the title and power over the program to someone who just skipped town"

- Since Whitesell was name interim on THE SAME DAY Oats was announced as coach of Alabama, I am not sure that Hodgson would have left town if he was named interim.  That's just a hunch!  And I don't believe Hodgson left to Alabama on the same day Oats was announced.  Later in the week is when he was seen with Oats.

By the way, I am not trying to be difficult.  I want to have a conversation about this and, perhaps, I am wrong in my initial assertions. I am glad to be educated by those who have more inside knowledge.  Maybe you have some facts I am not aware of.    However, I am the fan base...I am not the reporter with the inside scoop or a friend of a friend of the AD (or Hodgson or a player or a GA ).  I am telling you what it looks like from my perspective of a 2x alumnus who has been a fan for 30+ years.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChubbyHubby said:

I thought Hodgson was on the same plane as Oats when he and his family first went down to Bama.

That’s what was reported here. But ask 3 different people and get 3 different answers. Personally with all the rumors and here-say going around, I’m finding it harder to blame Alnutt, oats, Hodgson, or anyone else for anything that’s transpired. 

1 minute ago, UB05 said:

That’s what was reported here. But ask 3 different people and get 3 different answers. Personally with all the rumors and here-say going around, I’m finding it harder to blame Alnutt, oats, Hodgson, or anyone else for anything that’s transpired. 

I think what has become apparent is that Alnutt failed to handle this situation properly from beginning to end.  He seemingly was caught off guard by Oats departure and had no contingency plan in place to both handle the immediate fall out and long term plan to hire a coach.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, 961819 said:

Agree with the retaining our recruits, disagree with KJ and Mabry being too good for UB. I hope that’s not actually how you feel because that mindset basically means we only deserve 2 star players and don’t have a right to try to be competitive 

I prefaced my statement with "to heck with them", as in they think they are too good for UB, which is why they left. I assumed my sarcasm was clear with that, but I'll say it again...to heck with them. Our program got them to being "better than ub" (in their eyes), they should be appreciative, not back stabbing. 

I digress, this discussion is about Coach Whitesell, and I'm behind him all the way.  Nothing would make me happier than to see him lead these boys to victory and see him tattooed on a certain poster on here. 

30 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

I think what has become apparent is that Alnutt failed to handle this situation properly from beginning to end.  He seemingly was caught off guard by Oats departure and had no contingency plan in place to both handle the immediate fall out and long term plan to hire a coach.

But again, that’s all speculation. Seemingly caught off guard? He would’ve had to give permission for Alabama to interview oats. The contingency plan you could argue was to hire a search firm. We’re never going to know who he wanted, who said yes, who said no, or what ultimately caused him to choose Whitesell. 

23 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

I prefaced my statement with "to heck with them", as in they think they are too good for UB, which is why they left. I assumed my sarcasm was clear with that, but I'll say it again...to heck with them. Our program got them to being "better than ub" (in their eyes), they should be appreciative, not back stabbing. 

I digress, this discussion is about Coach Whitesell, and I'm behind him all the way.  Nothing would make me happier than to see him lead these boys to victory and see him tattooed on a certain poster on here. 

It’s back stabbing to want to maximize your chances of being drafted?

26 minutes ago, UB05 said:

But again, that’s all speculation. Seemingly caught off guard? He would’ve had to give permission for Alabama to interview oats. The contingency plan you could argue was to hire a search firm. We’re never going to know who he wanted, who said yes, who said no, or what ultimately caused him to choose Whitesell. 

Yes he had to give permission and upon giving permission everything spiraled at a pace that IMO overwhelmed Alnutt and was too fast for him.  He always seemed a step behind and acted too late. Maybe at the presser tomorrow (I believe its tomorrow) reporters can ask Alnutt about the process.

He'll save face anyway but on the surface it looks like he was blindsided. The whole BH debacle happened. He didn't have a short list prepared.  As a result had to hire a search firm.  He aimed high and realized aiming that high is costly and then settled on Whitesell.  Not that there is anything wrong with Whitesell but its pretty obvious he wasn't the first choice.

Edited by DooleyBull06

20 minutes ago, 961819 said:

It’s back stabbing to want to maximize your chances of being drafted?

It's a lack of loyalty. No way he has as productive of a season at Miami then if he stayed at UB.  IMHO  I think he will be lucky to get on the field at Miami. According to 24/7 sports over the last 3 years Miami has had five 4* recruits and three 3* . He is no Anthony Johnson and he will be lucky to be UDFA in the NFL.

1 minute ago, 961819 said:

Anyway though is there going to be any sort of ramifications for Hodgson skipping town with Oats and visiting Alabama prospects while on Ub’s payroll?

It certainly seems like it wont be the last time we hear about that..

4 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

I just want to see the fun continue,  next year and beyond, without worrying about metrics, just winning games with an excellent coach and great players who play as a team.

Agreed, being ranked was fun and I’d welcome it again, but it also brought a new element of stress to the games and the players that made the games not as enjoyable unless we won big