Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Jim Whitesell - UB's New Head Coach

Kevin

20 minutes ago, BullBoy said:

Well good thing we can look up salaries on See Through NY website

Hodgson - $134,632

Whitesell - $178,615

Still a damn good salary for someone who’s job is to fly around and watch high quality high school basketball and decide whether to recruit a player or not, sign me up I’ll do it for half the cost 

12 hours ago, Kevin said:

I still think a portion of the delay was the drama around Bryan and trying to pay him enough to be the associate HC/recruiting end and really being 1B to this team. he was making 150,000 last year, and I'd guess got a bump to 200k, but still lower than a regular level assistant at Alabama. 

I thought about this as well but not sure if we'll ever know if it was true.

Was kind of the mini dream scenario I thought, keeping JW, BH and JQ.

But if JW is getting 300k base with max of 400k, then youd have to have offered BH 275? (forgot what hes being paid at Bama now, 265?) 

14 hours ago, UB05 said:

Buffalo News article pretty much put to bed all the rumors that have been circulating. Alnutt being blindsided, not having a list of candidates, oats being shady, etc. Lots of worry around here for nothing. Here is the link

https://buffalonews.com/2019/04/08/jim-whitesell-ub-mens-basketball-coach-nate-oats-mark-alnutt/

edit: also is nice to see the players were involved in the process. Specifically mentions Graves and Perkins being brought in the discuss the search and ask their input.

Actually, I disagree 100%.  I read the article and it is a lesson in how to package the events of the past week or two and place them into what was a "plan".  It is exactly what you would expect (and what I mentioned would happen).  It is the logical result of the situation that has occurred.

My life's experience has demonstrated to me that people in administrative positions are able to become somewhat of revisionist historians...blending what has actually occurred into their "plan all along".  It is a defense mechanism and one that helps you keep your job.  I am not young.  It has been almost 30 years since I've graduated, so I have seen my fair share of how organizations work.  Alnutt's quotes from TBN article sound like the story you tell after the fact to make the events seem like they were all part of the plan.  Of course, the two facts are:  (1)  The interim coach, ten days on, becomes the head coach, while there is immediate precedence for making a quicker decision w/o a search and (2) all of the recruits opened up their commitment.   Those outcomes are process fails and, I suspect, most inside this business (btw, this is me speculating, but this is a message board) would tend to agree with my conclusion.

His quote about UCLA is a distraction...the one straw man you can knock down ("see...look at what this other school is doing...we are not that bad...it is even UCLA").

So...if you want to believe that the article "put to bed all the rumors that have been circulating"...fine.  They were writing that article for you.

Also...while the involvement of the players are great, the comments that they made are the kind of comments that Guy Fieri makes when he is eating something at a diner that is only okay...he has to come up with a generic comment that doesn't say it is good ("man...you can really taste the peppers", "I have never had a burrito like this before", "cheese...on Chinese food...you've blown my mind".)   Look at Graves' comment:

"I told him that I'm comfortable with how (Whitesell) coaches", said Graves.    That is not what I would call a ringing endorsement at all. And Graves is to be your "star" player next year.

Even the quotes of others are that he's a nice guy, a great man, has experienced, is committed to Buffalo, etc.  I don't read that he is "a great basketball mind", "a master motivator", " a fantastic game planner", "gets the most out of his players", etc.

Those are my thoughts.  I will move on now from this topic and hope he can get some of the previous commits to stay.  Sure...there is always going to be guys available to fill scholarships, but we've had many of them in the lean years...and they are MAC bench players (who are sometimes stretched into starting roles).  The last several years, we really haven't had that.  Our bench has been so deep and overwhelmed the other teams.  We will certainly take a step back this year.  Whether it is to being a #3 seed instead of a #1 seed or are we back to mediocrity?  Time will tell.  The next week or two will go a long way towards determining where it may end up.

As always, Go Bulls.

37 minutes ago, UB92 said:

Actually, I disagree 100%.  I read the article and it is a lesson in how to package the events of the past week or two and place them into what was a "plan".  It is exactly what you would expect (and what I mentioned would happen).  It is the logical result of the situation that has occurred.

My life's experience has demonstrated to me that people in administrative positions are able to become somewhat of revisionist historians...blending what has actually occurred into their "plan all along".  It is a defense mechanism and one that helps you keep your job.  I am not young.  It has been almost 30 years since I've graduated, so I have seen my fair share of how organizations work.  Alnutt's quotes from TBN article sound like the story you tell after the fact to make the events seem like they were all part of the plan.  Of course, the two facts are:  (1)  The interim coach, ten days on, becomes the head coach, while there is immediate precedence for making a quicker decision w/o a search and (2) all of the recruits opened up their commitment.   Those outcomes are process fails and, I suspect, most inside this business (btw, this is me speculating, but this is a message board) would tend to agree with my conclusion.

His quote about UCLA is a distraction...the one straw man you can knock down ("see...look at what this other school is doing...we are not that bad...it is even UCLA").

So...if you want to believe that the article "put to bed all the rumors that have been circulating"...fine.  They were writing that article for you.

Also...while the involvement of the players are great, the comments that they made are the kind of comments that Guy Fieri makes when he is eating something at a diner that is only okay...he has to come up with a generic comment that doesn't say it is good ("man...you can really taste the peppers", "I have never had a burrito like this before", "cheese...on Chinese food...you've blown my mind".)   Look at Graves' comment:

"I told him that I'm comfortable with how (Whitesell) coaches", said Graves.    That is not what I would call a ringing endorsement at all. And Graves is to be your "star" player next year.

Even the quotes of others are that he's a nice guy, a great man, has experienced, is committed to Buffalo, etc.  I don't read that he is "a great basketball mind", "a master motivator", " a fantastic game planner", "gets the most out of his players", etc.

Those are my thoughts.  I will move on now from this topic and hope he can get some of the previous commits to stay.  Sure...there is always going to be guys available to fill scholarships, but we've had many of them in the lean years...and they are MAC bench players (who are sometimes stretched into starting roles).  The last several years, we really haven't had that.  Our bench has been so deep and overwhelmed the other teams.  We will certainly take a step back this year.  Whether it is to being a #3 seed instead of a #1 seed or are we back to mediocrity?  Time will tell.  The next week or two will go a long way towards determining where it may end up.

As always, Go Bulls.

You’re obviously entitled to your opinion, but this sounds bizarre. You’re trying to sell us on the idea that the AD, our current coach, our ex coach, and our players are all in on this grand spin job to distort the facts to make Alnutt look good. That’s absurd. Your criticism of the Whitesell hire is that the compliments everyone has given him aren’t impressive enough. I mean, what am I supposed to say to that lol. Come on Graves, next time call him a mastermind! 

1 hour ago, UB92 said:

As always, Go Bulls.

Also, the media team tells Rachel and the BN what to say. 

Once again this article doesn't prove anything, one way or the other

8 hours ago, UB92 said:

As always, Go Bulls.

Take Graves comment with Perkins. I think they are very positive endorsements. Graves most likely isn't as press savy as Perkins is yet. It may not be in his personality to state things certain ways or he may not realize what he is saying. Either way he didn't say "we could of done better but i'll i'm still ok with it..."

2 hours ago, SGBull said:

Graves has always seemed uncomfortable in front of the press so I wouldn’t take his demeanor as a sign of anything.

Fairly typical of an underclassman, on a team full of seniors.  He will get to answer more questions from the press next year, so let’s watch his evolution.  

1 hour ago, rma said:

Which is very funny because he’s the big dunk guy on the court.

And I like him even more because of it. (calm under pressure)

On 4/9/2019 at 8:18 AM, UB92 said:

As always, Go Bulls.

Posts like this give me guilt.  Someone passionate about UB took a measurable amount of time out of their day to write this.  And it’s too long for me to read....

2 hours ago, MillenniumBull said:

Posts like this give me guilt.  Someone passionate about UB took a measurable amount of time out of their day to write this.  And it’s too long for me to read....

You feel pangs of guilt because you refuse to read a post from someone you classify as passionate about UB. But you condition your guilt by claiming the post was too long to read. You have to let go of these feelings - they are not beneficial. In fact they could be construed as being detrimental. Repeat after me: Guilt is an obsolete construct. My secretary will send you my bill.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, admin said:

Look at this. ESPN now thinks we are in a power conference. Ha. We are now in elite company. 

Hopefully they don’t fix this error. 

B9F5A885-FFE3-454A-A5B2-D8824060994B.png

I'm cool with them saying this, but they've basically thrown us out the window for the way to early top 25 and I haven't heard a peep in how they see us shaking out next season.

I'm not worried about all this, because I feel there's some benefit to being a power underdog, just think it's kind of funny.

Edited by ubmae86

16 hours ago, admin said:

Look at this. ESPN now thinks we are in a power conference. Ha. We are now in elite company. 

Hopefully they don’t fix this error. 

B9F5A885-FFE3-454A-A5B2-D8824060994B.png

A pretty decent chunk of this list aren't in power conferences either. Not sure what their definition is but it's not one I'm familiar with.