Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Jim Whitesell - UB's New Head Coach

Kevin

Thorpe is an uninspiring hire. Hope I'm proven wrong but UMKC just isn't the level I want to be cross-pollinating our program with. Although I do like the Chicago roots a lot. Hopefully Agee and T. Williams are still in play.

Edited by MuchMany

3 hours ago, MuchMany said:

Thorpe is an uninspiring hire. Hope I'm proven wrong but UMKC just isn't the level I want to be cross-pollinating our program with. Although I do like the Chicago roots a lot. Hopefully Agee and T. Williams are still in play.

Our previous HC was 2 years removed from teaching high school math and cross-pollinating with UMKC worries you?  Give me people who work hard and inspire those around them to do the same.  Don’t care what the source of your prior checks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MillenniumBull said:

Our previous HC was 2 years removed from teaching high school math and cross-pollinating with UMKC worries you?  Give me people who work hard and inspire those around them to do the same.  Don’t care what the source of your prior checks.

Yeah Thorpe is like Oats or even BH to me, just an unknown. Its nothing I can really give an opinion about other than trusting JW with his staff.

If I remember Oats had some NBA guys rotate on our AC staff, those are the only hires that will move anyones needle really, just from name recognition.

All that said, Im just excited that JW seems to have his main staff in place and we can really get at the recruiting (I assume Thorpe becomes that guy). And like someone else mentioned I like his Chicago connection. Great area to poach from. We shall see how good of a job he does with it.

I think the Jamie Quarles keep doesn't get enough attention. I remember when there was a lot of buzz about him a rising star of sorts. 

Wasn't it said Oats was looking to have 2 former assistants join him at Bama? I know BH was one of course but I wonder if the other was Quarles.

6 minutes ago, xDerekRx said:

Wasn't it said Oats was looking to have 2 former assistants join him at Bama? I know BH was one of course but I wonder if the other was Quarles.

I remember that, you could be on to something with that. Oats and Quarles were the combined brains behind our fast paced offense, it could very well have been him

8 minutes ago, 961819 said:

I remember that, you could be on to something with that. Oats and Quarles were the combined brains behind our fast paced offense, it could very well have been him

That's what I was thinking. And again if so, a very good retain especially if it helps maintain the offense. Thinking Quarles might quietly be the best keep down the road.

Overall despite BH leaving, and maybe some disappointed about the hiring process, things are looking more positive. The staff is in place. Current players have held.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, xDerekRx said:

Yeah Thorpe is like Oats or even BH to me, just an unknown. Its nothing I can really give an opinion about other than trusting JW with his staff.

If I remember Oats had some NBA guys rotate on our AC staff, those are the only hires that will move anyones needle really, just from name recognition.

All that said, Im just excited that JW seems to have his main staff in place and we can really get at the recruiting (I assume Thorpe becomes that guy). And like someone else mentioned I like his Chicago connection. Great area to poach from. We shall see how good of a job he does with it.

I think the Jamie Quarles keep doesn't get enough attention. I remember when there was a lot of buzz about him a rising star of sorts. 

I think he was referring to Bauman and Snowden, who both did leave with him 

On 4/6/2019 at 3:05 PM, xDerekRx said:

Not sure what my initial reaction is.

Maybe because of all the names, time, and search Im a little letdown. But I have no idea what went on behind the scenes.

Whitesell probably was the best bet to keep the current roster intact and if that comes to be true, then its not a horrible "hire" at all. This roster is very good and keeps some consistency.

I just dont think BH was to be trusted or else he would have been a good candidate. His lack of HC experience probably hurt too.

After hearing Murray, Lanier, Stepehens etc... I think I was just hoping for that splash. Although after the dust settles Im just happy we did the work and have made a decision. Now lets start building towards next season.

I think BH  seams to  be a bit immature. Going around shooting his mouth off and running around in Alabama jersey. As stated no real coaching experience, but a good  recruiter . Just seams to be following Oats around  and was probably pre arranged to go with Oats no matter where he moved. Thanks to Oats for a terrific run and good luck....

image.png

image.png

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Jeseph said:

And the staff is now complete:

I just posted in the other thread...I like that Whitesell is surrounding himself with younger coaches who can be “in touch” with the modern player. Hunter strikes me as he is going to be our lead recruiter. I like the JUCO background but he also coached under Chris Beard too. Our staff is complete. Recruiting is coming into shape.  Now I wonder what our schedule will look like.