Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Jim Whitesell - UB's New Head Coach

Kevin

On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 11:17 AM, SGBull said:

https://watchstadium.com/news/buffalo-coach-jim-whitesell-agrees-to-five-year-contract-salary-buyout-incentives-05-06-2019/

Not sure if the specific details of his contract were already posted, but here they are. 

So his guaranteed compensation is actually $400k but only $300k is counted as salary for benefits purposes.

Interesting to compare the contract to the contract Georgia State gave Lanier.

https://watchstadium.com/news/georgia-state-coach-rob-lanier-signs-five-year-contract-salary-buyout-incentives-04-17-2019/

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Great read.  It sucks that we lost our entire incoming class, but Whitesell did a great job allowing us be competitive in the MAC again.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 5:06 PM, Gxtrex said:

Great read.  It sucks that we lost our entire incoming class, but Whitesell did a great job allowing us be competitive in the MAC again.

No doubt, this coaching staff has done a phenomenal job replacing the recruits we lost.  Honestly, I am more excited to watch this team play for Whitesell than I was for the class Oats had coming in, especially if Mballa is granted his waiver!  This class is long and athletic.  Its going to be another great season for us Bulls fans.  I applaud this coaching staff!

• Like 1

One of my next-door neighbors asked me today  if I was going to renew our season tickets. I said, “Yeah”. He said, “ I don’t think their new coach has the persona.” I wasn’t exactly sure what he meant, but further discussion elicited this comment from him (knowledgeable sports fan/ not a Bulls follower per se): “He doesn’t project a strong image...one thing for sure - he’s no Oats”. 

I told him what a tremendous job Whitesell and staff had done in retaining the returning players and the magnificent job that they did in replacing an entire recruiting class in such a short amount of time with some great recruits. It didn’t sway his impression. FWIW, he’s a looong time season ticket holder for the Bills - talk about a dumpster fire...

Only Whitesell can dispel the impression that my neighbor, and others, have of the next edition of the UB men’s basketball program.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, squire17 said:

One of my next-door neighbors asked me today  if I was going to renew our season tickets. I said, “Yeah”. He said, “ I don’t think their new coach has the persona.” I wasn’t exactly sure what he meant, but further discussion elicited this comment from him (knowledgeable sports fan/ not a Bulls follower per se): “He doesn’t project a strong image...one thing for sure - he’s no Oats”.

He isn’t Oats. And that’s not a bad thing. Oats was very blunt and direct. Bordered on arrogant. Not crazy like Hurley. And that was fine. Two prime examples...against Arizona at half he said we should be up double digits. Low and behold we blew them out. He then said we can take advantage of a youthful Kentucky team. I don’t think that sat well with coach Calipari and we know what happened. 

Coach Whitesell has a different personality. A more mature one some might say. Bottom line is can he coach and can his message reach our players? He may not excite some but it takes nothing away from the job and the staff have done. Let the coaches coach and players excite. Go Bulls!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, 961819 said:

Lol. Is that Hodgson’s fat ass in there? Hey whatever works. Just love how this is being done near a pool in the backyard of probably a mansion. Love the message that sends. 

To be fair on day 2 looks like they took the boot camp to a lake and got muddy. Oats even went through the drills. No hate. Just illustrates the differences between Whitesell and Oats. 

Will there come a time when Whitesell is considered “out of touch”. Which is why retaining coach Q and bringing in coach Jenkins was important. Youthful counterbalance to Whitesell’s maturity. Kinda like he was for Oats. 

Edited by DooleyBull06

13 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

He isn’t Oats. And that’s not a bad thing. Oats was very blunt and direct. Bordered on arrogant. Not crazy like Hurley. And that was fine. Two prime examples...against Arizona at half he said we should be up double digits. Low and behold we blew them out. He then said we can take advantage of a youthful Kentucky team. I don’t think that sat well with coach Calipari and we know what happened. 

Coach Whitesell has a different personality. A more mature one some might say. Bottom line is can he coach and can his message reach our players? He may not excite some but it takes nothing away from the job and the staff have done. Let the coaches coach and players excite. Go Bulls!

If the team scores 90+ in their first few games and win, it won't be about "persona".    When you win, people adjust their thoughts to fit who you are.  

If the team scores 55 points and has 24 turnovers...well, that's another story.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, squire17 said:

I told him what a tremendous job Whitesell and staff had done in retaining the returning players and the magnificent job that they did in replacing an entire recruiting class in such a short amount of time with some great recruits. It didn’t sway his impression. FWIW, he’s a looong time season ticket holder for the Bills - talk about a dumpster fire...

Only Whitesell can dispel the impression that my neighbor, and others, have of the next edition of the UB men’s basketball program.

So your neighbor is a long time Bills season ticket holder, but he’s not sure about Whitesell’s persona and how that may or may not have an effect on the season. That, about sums up WNY’s knowledge and interest in college basketball. College sports for that matter. 

You could have just said well, with all due respect, Bulls basketball has done more in the last 6 years than the Bills have done in 25 years. But, people wanna waste their money on what they please.

20 minutes ago, mikescherrer8 said:

So your neighbor is a long time Bills season ticket holder, but he’s not sure about Whitesell’s persona and how that may or may not have an effect on the season. That, about sums up WNY’s knowledge and interest in college basketball. College sports for that matter. 

You could have just said well, with all due respect, Bulls basketball has done more in the last 6 years than the Bills have done in 25 years. But, people wanna waste their money on what they please.

While that might be true that’s not how we turn Bills fans into Bulls fans. I’m guilty of going off on how much the Bills suck but I try to limit it.

1 hour ago, rma said:

While that might be true that’s not how we turn Bills fans into Bulls fans. I’m guilty of going off on how much the Bills suck but I try to limit it.

There’s not really a way to “convert” people, either they are interested in college athletics or they’re not. And it just sounds like he’s not too interested. Or he watches from afar. If he’s stayed up on top of how well the staff has maintained the roster and has recruited a great batch of players, and has a relatively fun schedule, he’d have some better insight to share other than “well to me, he doesn’t have the image or persona.” This irks me a tad because I’ve heard it already from a bunch of people who really don’t quite get it. But I’m always in for a good ol’ “I told you so” come March.

*sorry for the rant*

I don’t think it’s necessarily converting we need to do. I don’t think bills and bulls fans need to be mutually exclusive. Last season opened up the eyes of a lot of people in the community which is fantastic. We need consistent success and more and more people will start supporting the college sports. Overall our success is recent. The first steps are done. Now we need to keep the ball rolling. 

Best thing that could happen to UB football is if the Bills left town.  It is a hard sell to get people to show up for UB games when they have the Bills playing the same weekend.  Even if the Bills are away people dedicate their Sundays to football.

There are a lot of college basketball fans in the Buffalo area and they don't seem to care too much about our team.  That is the head scratcher.

3 hours ago, dutchcountry7 said:

Best thing that could happen to UB football is if the Bills left town.

SDSU's attendance barely moved when the Chargers left.  I think we'd pick up some fans, but I think winning often and winning big would do more than the Bills leaving would do.  Unfortunately we can't beat Big Ten teams every year and get home games against non-directional schools.

2 hours ago, rma said:

SDSU's attendance barely moved when the Chargers left.  I think we'd pick up some fans, but I think winning often and winning big would do more than the Bills leaving would do.  Unfortunately we can't beat Big Ten teams every year and get home games against non-directional schools.

The chargers left because there wasn’t a big market of support there. The same thing they’ve found in LA.  

California isn’t really great at supporting teams unless they are winning.  

On 8/20/2019 at 12:34 PM, rma said:

While that might be true that’s not how we turn Bills fans into Bulls fans.

I can see how this could be misconstrued. To clarify, not taking away somebody’s Bills fandom to turn them into Bulls fans, but rather turning somebody who has a passion for pro football into one that can at least keep up with local college ball. 

• Like 1