Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Jim Whitesell - UB's New Head Coach

Kevin

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 1:40 AM, weareub46 said:

I think that’s pretty much everywhere 

No, it isn't.

In California the support for sports is really weak.  When I say winning, I mean winning championships.

The Great Lakes and up-state New York are different. 

There is a reason the Bills, Browns, and Lions all draw fans to their games despite being small market teams and not winning.

There is a reason the Chargers left San Diego and the Raiders are leaving Oakland.

This is true of basketball too.  If you look at college attendance there isn't one Pac 12 team in the top-30 for attendance.  It is mainly Mid-West and Great Lakes.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, dutchcountry7 said:

No, it isn't.

In California the support for sports is really weak.  When I say winning, I mean winning championships.

The Great Lakes and up-state New York are different. 

There is a reason the Bills, Browns, and Lions all draw fans to their games despite being small market teams and not winning.

There is a reason the Chargers left San Diego and the Raiders are leaving Oakland.

This is true of basketball too.  If you look at college attendance there isn't one Pac 12 team in the top-30 for attendance.  It is mainly Mid-West and Great Lakes.

The bills browns and lions all draw large crowds in the beginning of seasons when there is still hope. Have you ever been to a bills game in December when playoffs have been out of the picture for weeks? It’s empty. That goes for all teams once hope is lost. People stop coming to the games 

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Jeseph said:

*Paywall alert*

Incredible article. Who would’ve guessed? Whitesell seems very humble and unassuming. I know he hasn’t head coached a game yet for us, but I can’t help but feeling the fans were all totally wrong for being underwhelmed by the hire

7 minutes ago, UB05 said:

Incredible article. Who would’ve guessed? Whitesell seems very humble and unassuming. I know he hasn’t head coached a game yet for us, but I can’t help but feeling the fans were all totally wrong for being underwhelmed by the hire

Since the hire it just seems like the players really respect him and look to him for guidance. 

Going to games last year, I really noticed when Nate was focused on the game, Jim would go to each player during the game on the bench and consult with them, and spent a lot of time going over things. I think that has a lot to do with why UB returned everyone from last years roster and didn’t lose them to the portal.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • Jeseph unpinned and unfeatured this topic