Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Jim Whitesell - UB's New Head Coach

Kevin

1 minute ago, xDerekRx said:

Yes but you're also assuming he didn't offer any of the rumored P5 guys the job...?

Where did I say that?????????

What I think happened is Mr. Spineless aka Alnutt thought he could lowball these P5 coaches and be stingy with his salary offers 

Edited by 961819

2 minutes ago, Nonickname said:

Translation: No one wanted the job 

That's absolutely not true.  We probably aimed higher than we should have.  Our last hires have been from oldest to newest: Community College coach of 2 years, A-10 assistant of a year (assistant for 3 years total), internal hire who was a HS coach/math teacher previously.

We were looking at tenured assistants at power schools.

3 minutes ago, xDerekRx said:

So you're embarrassed he didn't hire a P5 coach and aren't ok with him looking for one and not getting what he wanted?

??????? I’m embarrassed that he threw money around for a search firm just to end up hiring someone that’s been on our staff the whole time. I’m embarrassed because I’m almost positive he tried being stingy with how much he was going to pay which is why the P5 coaches turned us down. What is so difficult to understand here?

UB has proven itself to be a launchpad for coaches to get eventual P5 head coaching positions that pay 7 figures. Why the hell else would they turn down that chance??

Edited by 961819

Just now, rma said:

That's absolutely not true.  We probably aimed higher than we should have.  Our last hires have been from oldest to newest: Community College coach of 2 years, A-10 assistant of a year (assistant for 3 years total), internal hire who was a HS coach/math teacher previously.

We were looking at tenured assistants at power schools.

This for sure. But not in a bad way. This program became something well known this year. Ranked, NCAA success, 2 straight coaches made good 7 figure jumps.

But I feel we weren't all the way there yet with the job clout. I have no problem with Alnutt thinking our job was seen as more desirable.

1 minute ago, 961819 said:

??????? I’m embarrassed that he threw money around for a search firm just to end up hiring someone that’s been on our staff the whole time. I’m embarrassed because I’m almost positive he tried being stingy with how much he was going to pay which is why the P5 coaches turned us down. What is so difficult to understand here?

UB has proven itself to be a launchpad for coaches to get eventual P5 head coaching positions that pay 7 figures. Why the hell else would they turn down that chance??

Youre being extremely combative and defensive, Id watch that. You've been this way on this forum. 

You're allowed to be pessimistic and negative if you chose to be... thats on you, but just have a conversation.

You are throwing around a ton of ill founded accusations about Alnutt. Saying he lowballed AC of P5 schools. Do we have a single idea if thats true? No.

He could have been offering them 700-800k each for all we know.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, UB65Son said:

It's all that Kevin guys fault. He got in a Twitter fight with Fife. 

Lol. Just kidding

When I saw Fife respond like that he was already showing he shouldn't be a HC. Twitter trolls (not saying Kevin was) are everywhere and the bigger the program the worse it will get. The thin skin doesn't work.

1 minute ago, MKBullsfan said:

Who knows, maybe Alnut spoke with the existing players and found out some could leave if Whitesell doesn’t stay. Just a possibility. 

Also, any chance that some of the decommitted players re-committ after the Whitesell move?

I am hoping some of those players give a second look.  Didn't Coach help recruit some of them?

5 minutes ago, xDerekRx said:

Youre being extremely combative and defensive, Id watch that. You've been this way on this forum. 

I’m sorry I just have high hopes for this school and am not content with the acceptance of being a .500 team but I will keep it in check going forward

2 minutes ago, MKBullsfan said:

Who knows, maybe Alnut spoke with the existing players and found out some could leave if Whitesell doesn’t stay. Just a possibility. 

I think an endorsement from the players would help, but we shouldn't be making decisions based on "if he doesn't stay I'm gone"

Need to build the program for long term success.  If it means hiring the right guy but having some players leave, so be it.  Remember when a player went to Toledo after committing to UB when Hurley left?  We made the right decision to hire Oats.

6 minutes ago, xDerekRx said:

You're allowed to be pessimistic and negative if you chose to be... thats on you, but just have a conversation.

You are throwing around a ton of ill founded accusations about Alnutt. Saying he lowballed AC of P5 schools. Do we have a single idea if thats true? No.

He could have been offering them 700-800k each for all we know.

Both of you fellas need to step back and take a deep breath. Fact is NONE of us knows what went on. Let's see how this plays out.

• Thanks 1

Just now, 961819 said:

I’m sorry I just have high hopes for this school and am not content with the acceptance of being a .500 team but I will keep it in check going forward

Felisha Legette Jack had a 141-163 record between her previous two jobs before coming to UB.  Since then, she's gone 143-86.

Biggest positives: continuity, highly respected by our administration and players

Biggest negatives: won’t be bringing any recruits with him from another program, will have to work hard to bring back some of ours. Really sets us back with 5 scholarships open 

5 minutes ago, rma said:

Felisha Legette Jack had a 141-163 record between her previous two jobs before coming to UB.  Since then, she's gone 143-86.

I just hope it works out. He’s a great coach, but recruiting plays a huge role. I guess I’m just mostly annoyed at having a search firm hired to conduct a national search with multiple big names thrown around just to hire Whitesell. They should’ve just done it from the beginning and maybe we wouldn’t have lost all our recruits. 

Whoever the recruiter is coming in, they have their hands full

4 minutes ago, UB05 said:

Biggest positives: continuity, highly respected by our administration and players

Biggest negatives: won’t be bringing any recruits with him from another program, will have to work hard to bring back some of ours. Really sets us back with 5 scholarships open 

The point was we needed a coach to come in and bring in a few players. 

Whitesell is going to have his hands full keeping his team here. 

Where in the world does he find 5 scholarships from in April? He didn't have his own pipeline, Bryan's job was to recruit. 

I have no problems with Whitesell, but this whole thing was botched.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Kevin said:

I was flat out told this, and it seems to be true. 

Considering an hour ago you “reported” that it was down to a final 3, forgive me for laughing at your agreement about no one wanting the job 😂

Edited by UB05
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kevin said:

I was flat out told this, and it seems to be true. 

Any names as to who said no? Just taking so long to hire a guy that was already there I agree .  Not that my opinion matters. Lol

Hope I did not offend with my joking around.