Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

2019-20 Schedule

1 hour ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Our schedule is pretty much set. We have an opening for two more non conference games which would take the total to 13 non conference games. 

Pure speculation on my behalf but there’s room for a game after the Dartmouth game and after the Vanderbilt game. I assume the two remaining games would be road games bc we have 6 non conference games at home so far. Again pure speculation. 

I tend to agree with you two more games.  It was pointed out earlier that the Dartmouth game was referred to as 'Home' opener, not season opener.  Also they opened season on 11/6 last year, so I am thinking a road game on 11/5.    There still seems to be plenty of top teams that appear to have that date open   The other game will probably be on Saturday, 12/7 as this was pattern in last year's schedule.  Hoping we find out this week.

Edited by DocCas86

Just looking at the schedule now.

I know we aren't going to get anyone great to come to AA like back in the day so I just look for some different/interesting schools to come here. WM and Army at least make for interesting D1 schools with win probabilities. As well as definitely Dartmouth. 

Interesting to see all 3 Big 4 schools are home games this year.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, xDerekRx said:

Just looking at the schedule now.

I know we aren't going to get anyone great to come to AA like back in the day so I just look for some different/interesting schools to come here. WM and Army at least make for interesting D1 schools with win probabilities. As well as definitely Dartmouth. 

Interesting to see all 3 Big 4 schools are home games this year.

I agree, and I’ll take playing Army anytime. I’m glad they seem willing and interested in coming here

2 hours ago, dutchcountry7 said:

Does that mean three road games next year?

If so, that could result in very few games at Alumni next year.  Especially if we have to go to W&M and/or Army.

I wouldn’t jump to the conclusion that we agreed to a home and home with Army and/or William and Mary. And if we did we could have agreed to play the return date in a future season not next year. So the only road games at this point for next season would be at the big 4 opponents.  The Army and WM games could just be buy games. No future commitments.

43 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

I can’t see them agreeing to a one game deal and I can’t see us buying four teams.  That would require a huge jump in the budget. 

Well they did get a million dollars from the Oats buyout and are paying Whitesell a third of that for the season 

On 8/30/2019 at 8:53 AM, Gxtrex said:

How long do you think it would take us to figure out our entire OOC schedule if every D1 team posted their OOC schedule besides Buffalo?  haha

It is getting a little easier by the day.  I currently have a list of about 20 teams that we could schedule with at this point.  I know it is likely just two more games, but would like to hear today.

Wow, Daemen AND Nazareth in the same season?  Break out the face paint, it's time to get nuts!  Now I know what the extra money they're getting from me this coming year is going to.

It's weird to see all three games against other Big Four teams at home.  Since they're all over break, it's going to be tough to get a rowdy student contingent there.  Perhaps us alums are going to have to pick up the slack.

Friday night vs Kent is going to be a good scene, a big, fired up crowd on a Friday night on TV, that's going to be fun.

3 minutes ago, enrique14150 said:

Wow, Daemen AND Nazareth in the same season?  Break out the face paint, it's time to get nuts!  Now I know what the extra money they're getting from me this coming year is going to.

Yea, and given the late release of the schedule it's pretty clear that the department simply settled for the first teams that would play at AA instead of doing everything they could to book a solid home schedule that benefits the team, the program and, when possible, the fans 🙄

• Like 2

1 hour ago, enrique14150 said:

It's weird to see all three games against other Big Four teams at home.  Since they're all over break, it's going to be tough to get a rowdy student contingent there.  Perhaps us alums are going to have to pick up the slack.

Geez... there goes the home court advantage.  Now St. Bona fans will be buying up tickets that are typically held back for students.

I can't help but think they scheduled those games when students were away on purpose so that they could sell more tickets since the local teams will bring fans that don't normally buy UB tickets.

6 hours ago, enrique14150 said:

Friday night vs Kent is going to be a good scene, a big, fired up crowd on a Friday night on TV, that's going to be fun.

You’re getting 2 extra home games compared to last season 

1 hour ago, SGBull said:

IMO the most important game on that schedule is UCONN, making noise in that tournament would be huge for us.

I agree with this bc then it sets us up to potentially play Xavier (I’m assuming they beat Towson). Would love a winning record in that tournament. Would love to win it all, having beaten UConn, xavier and Florida. But will settle for a 2-1 showing.

Overall I have no major complaints about the schedule. Love the exposure we are getting. Love the neutral sites/tournament we are in. I assume we still are having scheduling issues bc no one wants to play us. So “settling” for road games against Vandy and DePaul aren’t the worse thing. Lots of winnable games. Can’t wait.

• Like 2

Expectations seem a bit inflated here, guys. We may have been on level footing with the big teams last year but I'm expecting a bit of a drop off given the turnover. I think we'll be a strong midmajor - but not a team that wins a majority of its games against teams like UCONN, Xavier, and Florida. We lost some key pieces and it will take a bit of time for the new guys to gel into the rotation.

I like the schedule though. I just wish we could have found a way to capitalize on our recent success to finally get 1 or 2 of these big dogs to come play us at Alumni the way we did a few years back with UCONN, Pitt, BYU, etc...

3 minutes ago, 121Merrimac said:

I’m not sure we got BYU.  Wasn’t that more of a homecoming game for a semi local player?   Maybe in a few years, UB will host whoever recruits Dior J.  

Yup.  They came to UB asking for a game.  It's why we got the first home game in the series.  It was so their star could get a game back near family.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmer_Fredette

28 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

Yup.  They came to UB asking for a game.  It's why we got the first home game in the series.  It was so their star could get a game back near family.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmer_Fredette

I  was a bit surprised that Jimmer’s homecoming wasn’t to UVM.  Along those lines, Dior J has more options in NYC than Buffalo. 

P.S.  what series?   When is the return game?