Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

2019-20 Schedule

Times have been released for the James Naismith Classic.  Buffalo in the undercard.  The arena is only going to open the lower level so seating will be reduced and might drive up demand.

James Naismith Classic

Please Note: Net Capacity: 10,686
As a security measure, NO RE-ENTRY IS PERMITTED after you have exited the Scotiabank Arena gates.

Single ticket admission for all three games. Game times are subject to broadcast scheduling and are still to be determined.

MATCHUPS:
Buffalo Bulls v. Harvard Crimson 2:30 PM
Tennessee Volunteers v. Washington Huskies 5:00 PM
Rutgers Scarlet Knights v. St. Bonaventure Bonnies 7:30PM

https://www1.ticketmaster.com/james-naismith-classic/event/100056A9A1C12568

• Thanks 1

The only team it even remotely makes sense for is Bona because they are in the middle of nowhere and do not have credit card machines or cell phone reception.

Until WNY starts caring about Big 4 basketball there’s no reason to give up a home game for a sterile environment.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, rma said:

Until WNY starts caring about Big 4 basketball there’s no reason to give up a home game for a sterile environment.

Yeah that’s probably not going to ever happen to the point where enough butts get into seats at KeyBank Center. If all 4 teams were nationally recognized every single year, different story.

Regarding possible games in cavernous Key Bank Center: Because UB dwarfs the other Big 4 schools in size, the onus should be on UB to generate a commensurate proportion of the total attendance at any games held there. I don’t see that ever happening. I don’t think a Big 4 doubleheader would even draw 10000. I’m speculating, but if Syracuse were to play UB downtown, I doubt that it would attract 10000 fans. Last season the Bulls were ranked in the top 25 all year - how many times did AA sell out? It’s pathetic! I am not singling out UB - the other 3: Canisius, Niagara, and St Bonaventure are in no better shape. The product is there, the price is ridiculously affordable...the interest is lagging, unfortunately.

2 minutes ago, squire17 said:

Regarding possible games in cavernous Key Bank Center: Because UB dwarfs the other Big 4 schools in size, the onus should be on UB to generate a commensurate proportion of the total attendance at any games held there. I don’t see that ever happening. I don’t think a Big 4 doubleheader would even draw 10000. I’m speculating, but if Syracuse were to play UB downtown, I doubt that it would attract 10000 fans. Last season the Bulls were ranked in the top 25 all year - how many times did AA sell out? It’s pathetic! I am not singling out UB - the other 3: Canisius, Niagara, and St Bonaventure are in no better shape. The product is there, the price is ridiculously affordable...the interest is lagging, unfortunately.

I get what you’re saying but last year once the students were back alumni oversold pretty much every game 

1 minute ago, UB05 said:

I get what you’re saying but last year once the students were back alumni oversold pretty much every game 

Good point. And, anecdotally, I perceive much more “traffic” in ubfan.com compared with last year. However, that may just illustrate the diehard element still amped from the past few seasons.  Unless the student body comes out Day one breathing fire, I’ll stick with my take: not nearly enough interest to warrant a game at a 19000+ Arena. But either way : GO BULLS!

26 minutes ago, squire17 said:

Good point. And, anecdotally, I perceive much more “traffic” in ubfan.com compared with last year. However, that may just illustrate the diehard element still amped from the past few seasons.  Unless the student body comes out Day one breathing fire, I’ll stick with my take: not nearly enough interest to warrant a game at a 19000+ Arena. But either way : GO BULLS!

I agree, no way we can fill key bank center yet. I agree with your point, just took issue with calling alumni’s attendance pathetic, as it was rocking all last season!

14 hours ago, squire17 said:

not nearly enough interest to warrant a game at a 19000+ Arena. But either way : GO BULLS!

Yup.  Right now that's true but are we close?

The last Big Four was back before we were really known as a real basketball program.  We have now arrived and people buy tickets and want to see the team play.

The Buffalo news says that Bonas sold out of their ticket allotment for the last Big Four.  Wouldn't we do that now? 

If we can pack Alumni then can't we get 6k to show up at KeyBank?  If Bonas sells 3k and NU/CC sell 1k then that's 10k total tickets sold which would be more than the Toronto event with three games is expecting to sell.

I have to think that it would be a big selling point for recruiting to show that we move games to the arena because demand is so high.

https://buffalonews.com/2016/12/19/big-4-review-golden-griffins-serve-notice-maac-foes/

Having games at the arena is a joke. Perhaps if Jim is able to maintain the level of play, ie tourney appearances in consecutive years and perception in community that we’re building something big, then playing in the arena would make some sense. But there has been very little interest among the general public for Big 4 double headers the last few times they’ve been held. The atmosphere was terrible for those games. I much prefer games at AA, KAC, Reilly and Niagara to those poorly attended affairs at KBC.  

• Like 1

Been saying it since before last season even began, and I’ll say it again, UB has only maintained consistent success for only the past 6 years. That’s nothing. It’ll take time and constant winning for folks around here to really take notice. Especially to fills seats at KBC. KBC games in theory are actually quite exciting and can generate WNY coming together to support local college basketball (sigh, even the Bonnie’s). But, all 4 schools are not consistent enough yearly to make it a true event and a fun spectacle. Big 4 basketball is fun when all 4 play each other at their own respected courts. I even prefer to go to Olean and watch UB play just because of a better crowd atmosphere.

2 hours ago, mikescherrer8 said:

Been saying it since before last season even began, and I’ll say it again, UB has only maintained consistent success for only the past 6 years. That’s nothing. It’ll take time and constant winning for folks around here to really take notice. Especially to fills seats at KBC. KBC games in theory are actually quite exciting and can generate WNY coming together to support local college basketball (sigh, even the Bonnie’s). But, all 4 schools are not consistent enough yearly to make it a true event and a fun spectacle. Big 4 basketball is fun when all 4 play each other at their own respected courts. I even prefer to go to Olean and watch UB play just because of a better crowd atmosphere.

How long do you think we have to be winning the MAC until people in the area will care?

3 hours ago, dutchcountry7 said:

How long do you think we have to be winning the MAC until people in the area will care?

Winning the MAC - a decade to get close to sell out numbers in AA consistently.  String together a few seasons like last year and it gets done faster.

Women's hoops I don't know what it will take.  I would love to sell out AA even for just a game in women's hoops.  It's getting a lot better than it used to be though.

3 hours ago, dutchcountry7 said:

More people care now than ever before. I get comments all the time wearing my UB gear and I see way more people wearing merch around town. I’m not sure that people are serious enough to know all the players, get excited for the schedule release, etc but it’s definitely headed in the right direction 

See what happens this year. Of course UB is recognizable. We were one of the top stories in college basketball last year week in and week out. We were a top 25 team all year long. We beat P5 schools like it was our job. No way this year will be as successful. IMO it won’t take long to revert to the old days if our recent success isn’t maintained  by being the top team or two in the Mac with regular NCAA trips. 

Edited by UB85

1 hour ago, 121Merrimac said:

The student section probably wishes it wasn’t a holiday weekend. 

I always hear this excuse, especially when there are 20 students in the student section during a "holiday" or "break". Aren't there tons of students who are from WNY that attend UB? What's their excuse for not attending?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, skrabukes said:

I always hear this excuse, especially when there are 20 students in the student section during a "holiday" or "break". Aren't there tons of students who are from WNY that attend UB? What's their excuse for not attending?

I’m not sure. Back when I went to UB it seemed that most of True Blue was actually not from the Buffalo area. My best guess is that most students who start following the teams due so as freshman when they are in the dorms and it is the fun thing to do. A lot of students from Buffalo commute to UB and don’t get as involved.

10 hours ago, SGBull said:

I’m not sure. Back when I went to UB it seemed that most of True Blue was actually not from the Buffalo area. My best guess is that most students who start following the teams due so as freshman when they are in the dorms and it is the fun thing to do. A lot of students from Buffalo commute to UB and don’t get as involved.

Think about it, if you grew up in an area where college sports were an afterthought, you going to that school probably won’t do much to increase your fandom. But if you’re new to the area you don’t come in with that preconceived opinion.

12 minutes ago, rma said:

Think about it, if you grew up in an area where college sports were an afterthought, you going to that school probably won’t do much to increase your fandom. But if you’re new to the area you don’t come in with that preconceived opinion.

Hopefully the kids currently growing up in Buffalo have a different opinion.