Jump to content
Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum
Sign in to follow this  
121Merrimac

Portsmouth Invitational

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, 961819 said:

That’s gotta boost his draft stock somewhat right?

None of UB's players have any draft stock.  CJ is the closest, but still isn't really on the draft radar in general.  As best he and maybe Perk and/or Harris will be signed to play for an NBA team in the G League.  Most likely they all end up with good gigs overseas.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, UBigbobby said:

None of UB's players have any draft stock.  CJ is the closest, but still isn't really on the draft radar in general.  As best he and maybe Perk and/or Harris will be signed to play for an NBA team in the G League.  Most likely they all end up with good gigs overseas.

CJ has been in multiple mock drafts, one of which had him going to the Warriors in the first round 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I could see those 3 getting summer league invites, most likely playing oversees or G league after. If they play well in the summer league then they might get a two-way contract.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 961819 said:

CJ has been in multiple mock drafts, one of which had him going to the Warriors in the first round 

I love CJ but honestly do you think he is a 1st rounder? Come on. The draft is mostly about projecting guys therefore younger guys and overseas guys get drafted. If CJ gets drafted it’s in the 2nd round. If he gets invited to the draft combine that will be a telling indicator.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I saw at least one mock draft with CJ as a very late 2nd rounder.

Edited by ATL92
correction

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

I love CJ but honestly do you think he is a 1st rounder? Come on. The draft is mostly about projecting guys therefore younger guys and overseas guys get drafted. If CJ gets drafted it’s in the 2nd round. If he gets invited to the draft combine that will be a telling indicator.

Did I make the mock draft? I was just saying what I saw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, 961819 said:

Did I make the mock draft? I was just saying what I saw

Didn’t say you did. Whoever did should have his head examined. It’s just going to be tough for CJ. In the eyes of nba scouts he’s a finished product whereas with all the underclassmen declaring (yea I do know most of them will withdraw) their raw potential will overshadow CJ.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Didn’t say you did. Whoever did should have his head examined. It’s just going to be tough for CJ. In the eyes of nba scouts he’s a finished product whereas with all the underclassmen declaring (yea I do know most of them will withdraw) their raw potential will overshadow CJ.

Agreed on that, he is a great shooter but he doesn’t make his own shot per se. No type of Curry step back in his arsenal 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, UBigbobby said:

None of UB's players have any draft stock.  CJ is the closest, but still isn't really on the draft radar in general. 

This isnt true. CJ has been in some mock drafts and is definitely got a chance to be a late 2nd rounder. Some crazy website even had him mock drafted into the 1st round which I think is a certain reach. 

Getting a mens player drafted would be the last check on my bucket list for this years team. Hoping CJ has a good showing here to boost his chances of mid-late 2nd rounder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like Perk played well again with 16 pts and 5 boards on 6-9 shooting. CJ had a quiet game scoring wise but still pulled down 6 rebounds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with DB06.  I don’t recognize many names in the overall PIT roster.  It’s difficult for me to project NBA draft prospects from this tournament. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MillenniumBull said:

Maybe one in ten players in this tournament get drafted.  Just by playing in it is a admission of fringe prospects at best.

I actually looked at this yesterday, since 2008 only 4.3% of participants have been drafted. On average those players are mid second round picks (43.667). I also see very little correlation between production per minute in the tournament and odds of getting drafted. So I'd say this has a mostly negligible effect on anyone's draft stock.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

I actually looked at this yesterday, since 2008 only 4.3% of participants have been drafted. On average those players are mid second round picks (43.667). I also see very little correlation between production per minute in the tournament and odds of getting drafted. So I'd say this has a mostly negligible effect on anyone's draft stock.

I was actually gonna say 1 in 20 but didn’t want to come off even more negative then necessary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Yeah that being said I don't have any data on how many make G-League or summer league teams, and I think Massinburg, Perk, and Harris are all definitely good enough to do that if they choose (although Europe makes better money).  They could make their way into the NBA that way, similarly to Jaylen Adams from Bona this year.  I'll also still hold out some hope on C.J. getting drafted since there's some buzz there but I remember being disappointed after thinking the same thing about McCrea.

Edited by trueblue32

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Erie County said:

UB will not have a player drafted. 

The best one out there doesn't even have them listed as prospects

https://www.nbadraft.net/2019mock_draft

60 picks only 9 seniors drafted in that mock. As I said before the draft is most underclassmen and international players. There are other avenues to the NBA...CJ, Harris and Perkins May have to explore those.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A couple of them signed with various agencies (CJ and Dontay) there could be more but those are the two that I know of, not sure about actually declaring though 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, 961819 said:

A couple of them signed with various agencies (CJ and Dontay) there could be more but those are the two that I know of, not sure about actually declaring though 

Do seniors even need to declare?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Do seniors even need to declare?

no

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I enjoyed this article specifically about him and his draft prospects but it was before the NCAA tournament.

https://heavy.com/sports/2019/03/cj-massinburg-nba-draft-projections-mocks/

I think that is generally when multiple websites had him projected in the 2nd round.

He had a quiet NCAA tournament not helped by playing a team like TT in the second round.

Ive also heard performance in the PI doesnt go a long way regardless. CJs workouts are probably going to be the most important in deciding if he gets picked late 2nd or not.

Either way cool to see his team win the title and Perkins had good statlines all 3 games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...