Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

David Skogman - 2019 signee

McBulls

Late to the party and I’m sure I’m echoing everyone else but this is monstrous. We needed height and got it. A big we can develop for hopefully four years. A skilled big who can play in and out. He can contribute immediately and grow over time through experience. Hopefully he adds 10-15 lean pounds over time. This is very exciting and big for the staff. I’m starting to believe in this staff. It shows we aren’t going anywhere and can stay atop the MAC. Go Bulls! Let’s add 3 more guys who can develop and/or contribute.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ideal finish to this recruiting class for me includes a name not mentioned yet. Alyn Breed, Andre Allen, Nana Akenten. Breed has been getting some love from Coach Q on twitter recently. High 3 star guard that is just outside of the top 200 in the country. I believe he is the #204 recruit in the country. Offers from teams like Murray State. Only follows around 80 people on twitter and Coach Q is one of them. 

25 minutes ago, 961819 said:

Ideal finish to this recruiting class for me includes a name not mentioned yet. Alyn Breed, Andre Allen, Nana Akenten. Breed has been getting some love from Coach Q on twitter recently. High 3 star guard that is just outside of the top 200 in the country. I believe he is the #204 recruit in the country. Offers from teams like Murray State. Only follows around 80 people on twitter and Coach Q is one of them. 

We also know that coach was in Springfield MA, where he is from.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2019 at 3:25 PM, Kevin said:

Any reason why not? Hauser brothers?

Because the RS is commonplace for incoming Wisconsin freshmen, scholarship numbers are limited from year-to-year and the staff is extremely picky with its offers - it's nothing personal against players like David Skogman.

Before Tai Strickland announced his transfer last month, if Wisconsin took a second player in 2019, it would eat a 2020 scholarship, which was not going to happen.  Once Strickland's scholarship opened, I think the door cracked for a few 2019 kids, Skogman included, but Wisconsin was going to look for immediate help from the grad transfer market and keep another 2020 scholarship open.

The Hauser brothers are the only instance of the coaching staff being OK not looking for immediate help.

Anyway, Buffalo did well with David Skogman.  Kid was one of the fastest-risers in the Midwest.  Jim Whitesell is not unfamiliar to Wisconsin - he recruited the area very well when he was at Loyola.  Me guesses this won't be the last time you see Wisconsin HS player pop on radar.  Was Lamonte Bearden the last kid?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, badgers007 said:

Because the RS is commonplace for incoming Wisconsin freshmen, scholarship numbers are limited from year-to-year and the staff is extremely picky with its offers - it's nothing personal against players like David Skogman.

Before Tai Strickland announced his transfer last month, if Wisconsin took a second player in 2019, it would eat a 2020 scholarship, which was not going to happen.  Once Strickland's scholarship opened, I think the door cracked for a few 2019 kids, Skogman included, but Wisconsin was going to look for immediate help from the grad transfer market and keep another 2020 scholarship open.

The Hauser brothers are the only instance of the coaching staff being OK not looking for immediate help.

Anyway, Buffalo did well with David Skogman.  Kid was one of the fastest-risers in the Midwest.  Jim Whitesell is not unfamiliar to Wisconsin - he recruited the area very well when he was at Loyola.  Me guesses this won't be the last time you see Wisconsin HS player pop on radar.  Was Lamonte Bearden the last kid?

I believe so, Brock Bertram is from Minnesota which was the closest recruit since Bearden 

Fair play to Coach Whitesell.   I commented that we needed to land these guys like Skogman...and he did.

Like dissolves like, so maybe Skogman being in the fold will help others commit.

Skogman better run this summer...sprints.   He is going to need it!   The guy looks like he has a quick release from 3, so I can see him being a trailer on a fast break to spot up.

He is going to have to develop some down low game and get quicker.  MAC defenses are going to be a problem for him if he ball handles down low.  But there is a lot to like in his game and I suspect he can be a contributor right out of the gate. 

• 6 months later...

There are guys here who post on this board that also watch practice.  I assume that guys like Skogman can practice with the team, but just can't play in games (as a redshirt).  Thus, can someone provide insights as to how they see Skogman progressing in practice and potential usage/compliment to what our team will look like next year?

2 hours ago, SGBull said:

Pretty crazy for someone his size. I saw an IG story of him throwing down a reverse dunk the other day, kid has hops.

Can he really have a 41 inch vertical? Based on a quick Google search that would be top 15 or so in NBA history which seems crazy given that he is 6'10 and in college. I hope its right though! 

2 hours ago, UB92 said:

There are guys here who post on this board that also watch practice.  I assume that guys like Skogman can practice with the team, but just can't play in games (as a redshirt).  Thus, can someone provide insights as to how they see Skogman progressing in practice and potential usage/compliment to what our team will look like next year?

He can play in games too. There’s a threshold though where if he crosses it he’d be at risk of not receiving the redshirt. I have no idea what that threshold is. 

9 minutes ago, UB05 said:

He can play in games too. There’s a threshold though where if he crosses it he’d be at risk of not receiving the redshirt. I have no idea what that threshold is. 

The threshold for college basketball is 1 second. Football allows 4 games but BB is much more strict.

5 minutes ago, SGBull said:

The threshold for college basketball is 1 second. Football allows 4 games but BB is much more strict.

I am pretty sure you are right.  If there was any threshold, we would have seen a couple of minutes here and there to get him some live game action.  I think Mballa only got like 50-60 minutes total minutes last year and because of that he is now a sophomore.