Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

David Nickelberry - 2019 signee

trueblue32

19 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

6'7" wing looks like he's also on a visit to Buffalo today. 31 in the JUCO rankings, averaged 3 PPG and 2 rpg as a 3 star freshman at Memphis before going JUCO.

Don’t see his name mentioned with Buffalo  anywhere, link?

5 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

Found him thru some looking at the coaches' follower lists. Was looking for info and if you look at @guitry.tv on Instagram, his story has the team and recruits playing pickup. Nickelberry has a distinct build + hairstyle.

Hahaha, nice work.

1 minute ago, Kevin said:

He's close with Segu (Orlando) we sure that's not just a personal visit? 

Could be, I find it weird he hasn't signed as far as I can tell and the coaches recently followed him. I would think he'd view a chance at Buffalo as an upgrade over Idaho. We shall see.

21 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

I'm confused. I thought the coaches were just sitting on their hands doing nothing for the last 10 days.

I don’t understand why people on this board thought this was the case. Just because there isn’t news leaking doesn’t mean nothing is happening.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SGBull said:

I don’t understand why people on this board thought this was the case. Just because there isn’t news leaking doesn’t mean nothing is happening.

I fully admit I was wrong and was just being impatient lol 

Seeing Ohio bringing in recruits and making tons of offers didn’t help either 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SGBull said:

From what I kept reading, it sounded as though some thought we were just going to go into next season with 8 guys. After Bobby left, and we had our departures and de-commits, we reloaded with Blake, willie, cj, etc. That didn't happen overnight, just as these are starting to come together now. Give Jim and co. a chance. They're not foolish people.

6 minutes ago, 961819 said:

I fully admit I was wrong and was just being impatient lol 

Seeing Ohio bringing in recruits and making tons of offers didn’t help either 

This. And most of us admitted we were just being impatient 

17 minutes ago, SGBull said:

I think it's fair to be impatient right now, the team lost a whole recruiting class. Even Oats had Perkins to work with. 

I think the bigger "argument" was the type of players Whitesell/Coach Q/AT would bring in. I think that question was answered:

Clemson Transfer

P5 recruited 3-star center who is a top 300 recruit

31st ranked JUCO formerly committed to Memphis/Idaho(?)

Seems to be the F/C recruiter to match Coach B's guard skills 

If they would have come back with a bunch of developmental 2-star guards from Ohio with no offers, we might be talking a different story. It is good that the staff thinks they should be up there with P5 teams because, over the last 5 years, they've proved to be just as good.

Edited by Kevin

1 minute ago, Kevin said:

I think it's fair to be impatient right now, the team lost a whole recruiting class. Even Oats had Perkins to work with. 

I think the bigger "argument" was the type of players Whitesell/Coach Q/AT would bring in. I think that question was answered:

Clemson Transfer

P5 recruited 3-star center

31st ranked JUCO formerly committed to Memphis/Idaho(?)

Seems to be the F/C recruiter to match Coach B's guard skills 

Jim has been the guy who has worked with the Bigs, while Jamie worked with the guards. He clearly sees the hole and is trying to plug it with some big bodies. There's no reason why any of our recruiting should ever be to "aim low" at this point. They should shoot for the types of players that they are looking for in as high of quality as possible. This is a team that's been to the tourney 4 out of 5 years, so even with a new head coach, the goal should still be the same. Incoming players should see the opportunity to continue being tourney bound when they get considered for a spot here.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bill said:

any idea if we're for sure going to sign any of these guys? White seems like he'll end up here, not too sure about the other 2. 

No idea, considering we aren't even sure if Nickelberry is on a real visit or not yet, if he is, I'd say he's likely.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

Is it normal for recruits to practice with the team on a visit?

Yeah,

you'll hear them reference how they “played” on their visit. It’s essentially a legal tryout to see how they fit with the squad. 

Edited by Kevin
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, UB05 said:

This. And most of us admitted we were just being impatient 

From the day Oats left until the last few days patience was the only thing that was keeping most of us grounded. Im just happy we got the coach, staff, current players, now some recruiting momentum.

All in all Ive been very pleased with the post-Oats departure and where its headed. If they land all 3 of these guys, or even 2 (with one being Skogman) Im going to be pretty excited again.