Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Time For Some Future Home Games...

verandaman

It just struck me that over the next five years (2020 - 2024) UB has 14 games scheduled OOC....10 of them are road games, including next year where UB plays 3 of 4 OOC games on the road.  Time for the AD to get us a home and home or two, and start to lock in some more game for UB Stadium.  With only six more OOC games to be scheduled to fill that slate, I'm hoping that at least 5 of them will be @ UB...….

I hate 5 home game seasons....even if seasons tickets cost less.  We sold our soul for cash in 2020....let's hope this is not a trend.  Does ADMA know what he is doing with football scheduling?  I don't recall anything since his appointment.

43 minutes ago, HomeyG said:

Hopefully we can get a school we never really get to see. Like that Baylor series

Good point...so you need to look for a P5 school that is down....how about Kansas, Oregon State, or Oklahoma (that was a joke, but I would help fill the stadium if UB ever hosted OU at RWS, or New Era, or whatever it is called).  Outside the P5, UConn, Cincinnati (they are not down, but might be looking for a home and home) and Syr...oh no, they won't play UB, or Wake Forest might be a good fit.

Within the G5, how about Georgia State, Georgia Southern, Try (boo-hiss), Marshall or Navy? 

Let's get some games booked.....

I wonder if that school down the road from us will do a home and home with us.  They're already doing a home and home with another MAC school (WMU), and if they're worried about getting embarrassed they already got that out of the way with the basketball team.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rma said:

I wonder if that school down the road from us will do a home and home with us.  They're already doing a home and home with another MAC school (WMU), and if they're worried about getting embarrassed they already got that out of the way with the basketball team.

Great point about the bb embarrassment....but, they might want to try to cling to some vestige of pride....before a football throttling 🙂  So my guess is that they continue to dodge UB.  Something about better safe than sorry...

Some people go through life worrying about not losing; leaders go looking for victory!

2 minutes ago, verandaman said:

Great point about the bb embarrassment....but, they might want to try to cling to some vestige of pride....before a football throttling 🙂  So my guess is that they continue to dodge UB.  Something about better safe than sorry...

Some people go through life worrying about not losing; leaders go looking for victory!

I hope that we could throttle them in football, but we're likely trending down (at least compared to last season) and Syracuse looks like they have the tools to put some continued success together.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/21/2019 at 3:50 PM, rma said:

Pitt also popped into my head for this. 

9 hours ago, everlast2504 said:

Pitt also popped into my head for this. 

Pitt doesn't have a lot of room in their schedule though.  They have Backyard Brawl coming back and I imagine there's interest in continuing the PSU-Pitt rivalry.  I'm indifferent on playing them.  It would be nice to do a home and home but I'd prefer Syracuse or even a G5.

1 hour ago, ChicagoBull said:

Semi-serious.  Is there a rule against scheduling MAC teams for the non-conference?  Perhaps only teams that aren't already on the schedule for that year. 

Not sure if the MAC has such a rule, but ACC does not...………..North Carolina and Wake Forest are playing an OOC game this year.

• 2 weeks later...

Like this 6 game series with you Lake people. Some chatter about the great time people had in Buffalo during the Frozen Four.

http://www.ubbulls.com/sports/fball/2018-19/releases/20190516fa0mjh

Date Matchup Venue
Oct. 15, 2022 Buffalo at UMass McGuirk Stadium
Sept. 14, 2024 UMass at Buffalo UB Stadium
Sept. 13, 2025 Buffalo at UMass McGuirk Stadium
Sept. 19, 2026 UMass at Buffalo UB Stadium
Sept. 25, 2027 Buffalo at UMass McGuirk Stadium
Sept. 16, 2028 UMass at Buffalo UB Stadium

Also

Josh Walfish  ✡️Retweeted UMass Football

I like this series for #UMass. More MAC series are helpful to building out schedule for future and a good level of opponent for Minutemen.

Edited by umassfan

1 hour ago, umassfan said:

Like this 6 game series with you Lake people. Some chatter about the great time people had in Buffalo during the Frozen Four.

http://www.ubbulls.com/sports/fball/2018-19/releases/20190516fa0mjh

Also

How are things in "your" Amherst?  Trust the tequila is still flowing 🙂

Always fun playing UMass.  My only regret has nothing to do with UMass.  Rather, it's that UB has destined itself to another 5 home games season (2022)….if you act small, you are small.  No doubt I will get a lecture on economics...……..  

• Like 1

Hey Verandaman, Things are ok. Sadly have pre-diabetes so stopped drinking recently until my weight drops by 10 lbs or more.

Will have to meetup at UConn next year and find a way to exchange emails and#'s.

Having just 5 home games is a bit of a bummer. Our 2022 schedule is a bit dicey with 5 straight home games to kick-off the season. Don't like. Suggested delaying a game with Boston College with a home game against a local FCS team, College of the Holy Cross from Worcester. Future schedules seem to have some movement and fine tuning. The good news is we are finally have some stadium improvements, but no expansion until beyond 2024.

Take care and hope you guys do well. Kind of surprised we don't play in BB. Our BB has been in the dumpster and McCall better show us something.

Edited by umassfan

I like this.  Cheap travel for fans and the team, and a school that we could build a regional rivalry with.  I also grew up an hour away so Mom gets a visit.

Now more home games please

Edited by rma
  • Like 2

On 4/21/2019 at 2:18 PM, verandaman said:

It just struck me that over the next five years (2020 - 2024) UB has 14 games scheduled OOC....10 of them are road games, including next year where UB plays 3 of 4 OOC games on the road.  Time for the AD to get us a home and home or two, and start to lock in some more game for UB Stadium.  With only six more OOC games to be scheduled to fill that slate, I'm hoping that at least 5 of them will be @ UB...….

I hate 5 home game seasons....even if seasons tickets cost less.  We sold our soul for cash in 2020....let's hope this is not a trend.  Does ADMA know what he is doing with football scheduling?  I don't recall anything since his appointment.

So, the updated version now shows 16 OOC games scheduled for 2020-2024 (with the addition of UMass in that window).  UB now has 11 road OOC games and now two seasons when they have but one OOC home game.  To put it in perspective, the marquee home games for 2020-2024 will be:

2020 - St. Francis

2021 - Coastal Carolina

2022 - unknown, yet likely an FCS team; UB has three road games at FBS stadiums scheduled now

2023 - Liberty

2024 - UMass

(Bonus info 🙂 )….

2025 - ???

2026 - UMass

2027 - ???

2028 - UMass

Please save me any economics lessons.  Anyone inspired by the scheduling job being done by UB?  For comparisons sake, NIU has marquee home games: vs BYU, Wyoming, Vanderbilt, Tulsa and UMass over the same (2020-2024) period.  Just saying.....

I renewed my seasons and made another donation to The UB Foundation.....and I will continue to do so, God willing.  But my word.....

Who would want to play at our stadium?  Syracuse's stadium is +/- the awfulness of ours (depending on how much orange is around me) and their "best" OOC team is:

2019 - WMU

2020 - Liberty

2021 - Rutgers

2022 - Notder Dame (if it doesn't get moved), Purdue if it does

2023 - Army

2024 - Ohio

Of those, we'll play all but RU and ND/Purdue at home in the same time frame.

1 minute ago, rma said:

Who would want to play at our stadium?  Syracuse's stadium is +/- the awfulness of ours (depending on how much orange is around me) and their "best" OOC team is:

2019 - WMU

2020 - Liberty

2021 - Rutgers

2022 - Notder Dame (if it doesn't get moved), Purdue if it does

2023 - Army

2024 - Ohio

Of those, we'll play all but RU and ND/Purdue at home in the same time frame.

Fair point...so what, New York teams suck?

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 4:53 PM, verandaman said:

Please save me any economics lessons.  Anyone inspired by the scheduling job being done by UB? 

It is clear that they value the paycheck and the hope of an upset in some far off land more than they value building a football culture and building a fan base at home.

It is shame...  But maybe they have given up trying to compete with the Bills for fans?

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 10:13 PM, rma said:

Army gets some decent teams coming to town, but they're a different situation.  

Yeah, as you noted, that is an anomaly due to the prestige of Army.   Even when Army plays on the road, the visiting schools tell their fans to not boo Army and to cheer for them.  Very unique.

19 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

It is clear that they value the paycheck and the hope of an upset in some far off land more than they value building a football culture and building a fan base at home.

It is shame...  But maybe they have given up trying to compete with the Bills for fans?

Right now UB has to schedule payday games.  That was part of the funding model for building the Murchie Fieldhouse.

14 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

Even when Army plays on the road, the visiting schools tell their fans to not boo Army and to cheer for them.  Very unique.

I have never heard anyone at UB say that it is not ok to boo Army.  I would boo them, Navy and especially Air Force any time or place where they are playing UB.

Edited by BrooklynBull

5 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

Right now UB has to schedule payday games.  That was part of the funding model for building the Murchie Fieldhouse.

Yes, it was part of the school pushing forward on a facility that they didn't have the funding to build.  It also required them to eliminate some sports to come up with the money.  It was the only way they could get approval from the state to start the project.  The facility has not been funded yet and they are hopeful that it won't put them in further financial distress.

7 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

I have never heard anyone at UB say that it is not ok to boo Army.  I would boo them, Navy and especially Air Force any time or place where they are playing UB.

I wasn't speaking about UB.  I was talking about other "decent" teams and how Army is revered which allows them to get better games. 

https://www.cleveland.com/osu/2009/08/buckeyes_urging_fans_to_cheer.html

The things mentioned in the article above are common for Army (and the other service academies).  I see it all the time where student sections and fans are directed to cheer them on.

I have heard many college football coaches comment on how hard it is to play the service academies, in part because there is so much respect for them and everyone talks them up that the players playing against them start to think they are special and maybe greater than they are. 

Two points...…..

1) I get the need for cash; I will always hate "5 home game" schedules.....has bottom feeder written all over it; and before it is suggested, I already donate to the Blue and White Foundation.

2) I love going to service academy games; if you have never been to one of the "Commander in Chief" games, try it the first time you can.  They are exhilarating and  have a way of bringing a person back to why the game is played for other than cash...and this from a Canuck.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, verandaman said:

Two points...…..

1) I get the need for cash; I will always hate "5 home game" schedules.....has bottom feeder written all over it; and before it is suggested, I already donate to the Blue and White Foundation.

2) I love going to service academy games; if you have never been to one of the "Commander in Chief" games, try it the first time you can.  They are exhilarating and  have a way of bringing a person back to why the game is played for other than cash...and this from a Canuck.

I feel like it's dumb to ask if you've been to Army-Navy, so I'll ask which year(s) you've been.

3 hours ago, dutchcountry7 said:

I wasn't speaking about UB.  I was talking about other "decent" teams and how Army is revered which allows them to get better games. 

https://www.cleveland.com/osu/2009/08/buckeyes_urging_fans_to_cheer.html

The things mentioned in the article above are common for Army (and the other service academies).  I see it all the time where student sections and fans are directed to cheer them on.

I have heard many college football coaches comment on how hard it is to play the service academies, in part because there is so much respect for them and everyone talks them up that the players playing against them start to think they are special and maybe greater than they are. 

I feel like it's also because Army (and Navy to some extent) have also been pretty bad recently.  If Army was competing for national championships it might be a little different.