Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Jeremy Harris' Future

Gxtrex

• 2 months later...
3 minutes ago, UB05 said:

Does Hungary have a decent league? To be honest I expected him to land in more of a Western European country. Outside of Budapest I don’t really know much about Hungary. 

How much do players make out there?

“Average overseas players can get a $65,000 contract with ease.  Depending on the league that players get into in Europe, salaries can start as high as $100,000.”

Looked up the average pay for players in professional European leagues. As far as FIBA goes, Hungarian contracts at the top level can make anywhere from $65,000 up to $200,000. If he does well enough in Hungary, he could possibly move into more prestigious leagues in countries like Spain, France, etc

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 961819 said:

“Average overseas players can get a $65,000 contract with ease.  Depending on the league that players get into in Europe, salaries can start as high as $100,000.”

Looked up the average pay for players in professional European leagues. As far as FIBA goes, Hungarian contracts at the top level can make anywhere from $65,000 up to $200,000. If he does well enough in Hungary, he could possibly move into more prestigious leagues in countries like Spain, France, etc

Good stuff, that’s better than I expected. Honestly I thought he’d be playing in Spain but I guess there’s a lot of good players out there

35 minutes ago, UB05 said:

Good stuff, that’s better than I expected. Honestly I thought he’d be playing in Spain but I guess there’s a lot of good players out there

Agreed, much more than I was expecting. Those numbers were in USD as well, but yeah especially with all the potential he has. A loot of talented people out there 

10 minutes ago, 121Merrimac said:

Spain, huh?  Not saying that's wrong, I just always thought of France and Germany at the top of Europe.  I'd just love to see the actual hierarchy of all European basketball leagues...

Not sure this is totally representative of the European basketball hierarchy, but maybe a good place to start:

EuroLeague (2016–17 to present): The champions of the best European national domestic leagues, along with some of the other biggest teams from the most important national domestic leagues, playing in a true European-wide league system format. The league culminates with a Final Four

The 2019–20 EuroCup Basketball season will be the 18th season of Europe's secondary level professional club basketball tournament, organised by Euroleague Basketball. It is the 12th season since it was renamed from the ULEB Cup to the EuroCup. The two finalists will qualify to the 2020–21 EuroLeague.  

The 2019–20 Basketball Champions League will be the fourth season of the Basketball Champions League (BCL), a European-wide professional basketball competition for clubs that was launched by FIBA. The competition will begin in September 2019, with the qualifying rounds, and will conclude in May 2020.

The 2019–20 FIBA Europe Cup will be the fifth season of the FIBA Europe Cup, widely regarded as the fourth-tier European professional basketball competition for clubs, that was launched by FIBA.

Hungary has teams in the latter two.  The first leagues are represented by the following countries (so I would infer that this is a relative ranking of basketball by country):

EuroLeagues.JPG.f2a3b0dfdd2979db2e5ccea1988619fc.JPG

6 hours ago, 121Merrimac said:

Thank you. I didn’t go through all the links, but that’s something like what I was after years ago when I wrote this... http://www.ubfan.com/board/index.php?topic=15030.0

Clearly, trying to rank past players is too ambitious to be answered by my post.  As a fan, I understand wanting every former player to be the best player in the best league and trying to determine who was most successful, but for now, my hope (and expectation) is that he is a top player for his team / league.  More importantly I hope that he enjoys his time while playing / living in Europe.  

6 hours ago, DocCas86 said:

More importantly I hope that he enjoys his time while playing / living in Europe.  

Even on the minimal pro basketball salary, he will enjoy a very high standard of living in Hungary.  I found the people to be pretty friendly; a surprising amount of English spoken in Budapest.

21 hours ago, DocCas86 said:

Another source for information - looks as if he is slated to be starter

https://basketball.eurobasket.com/team/Atomeromu_SE_Paks/1192?Page=0

Many of the European Leagues have foreign player limits.  These are put in to help ensure competitive balance.   So they tend to only bring in Americans when they are expected to be high impact players. 

13 hours ago, 121Merrimac said:

Thank you. I didn’t go through all the links, but that’s something like what I was after years ago when I wrote this... http://www.ubfan.com/board/index.php?topic=15030.0

The problem with ranking the national leagues in Europe is that there is often a big difference between the teams within the leagues which can make it hard to determine how good a player is or how good the play over all is.

Because they are limited to a country, you sometimes get a major city that has a large budget team that can compete with the best in Europe while many of the other teams in the league are low budget teams that are much weaker and face relegation every other year.

You will notice that some of the teams are automatically included in the EuroLeague each year.  These teams are known as licensed clubs that don't have to qualify.  That's because they are always some of the top clubs in Europe.

Basically have a lot of national leagues are like the West Coast Conference is for NCAA basketball.  They have a Gonzaga that is a European power and then sometimes a St. Mary's that can compete at that level, but most of the teams are not as strong and are really just small market regional teams.

And then you have other National Leagues--like the MAC or Missouri Valley--where they don't have the big names but the average team is much better than the league with a big name team in it.

So how do you compare them?

Edited by dutchcountry7