Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Savion Gallion - 2019 signee

It’s all about growth and development. He comes in not having the expectation and not having to contribute right away. He can learn the system, contribute when and where he can and hopefully grow into a key contributor in years to come.

Now if we can get a big that’s more athletic than Bertram that would be great.

A few thoughts on this:

1.  Yeah...I don't like UB being "the best" school on the list of offers (YSU, ISU, Delaware State and JMU).  But that is the reality of having to go back through those who hadn't committed yet.  I mean some of the guys we lost when Oats left are going to good programs.  It only underscores how strong that incoming class was going to be.  Ah, to dream.  But that is not the reality, so we have to deal with the reality.  It seems that Gallion lucked out that a program like UB had so many openings late...kudos to him for holding out.  I think he went to an unsigned tournament/showcase as well.

2.  The guy likes to shoot the 3, so if he doesn't get the RS, he can come off the bench and give them some outside scoring.  In different scenarios, his shot was either a quick release or slow.    I think someone on this thread mentioned he is depth at this point and that's fair.  Perhaps he can grow into being a starter as the years progress.  Certainly we (i.e. the UB fanbase) has been spoiled recently since we have had contributors early...and that only underscores the quality of the recruits we have gotten for a MAC team.  Gallion is probably more in line with what we used to get several years ago.  But I do hope he develops well.

3.  On this thread (and maybe other threads) people are using CJ (and Perk) as examples of how lightly recruited / low star recruits can turn into great players.  And then use that as a pass for a player like Gallion.  Sure...that can happen.  But I can provide you with a laundry list of lightly recruited players UB has had on their roster in the pre-Hurley days that didn't move the needle at all.  So CJ and Perk are exceptions to the rule.  You can't expect that to happen and you should not expect it to happen.  Part of it was also development that the staff did on those guys (CJ and Perk) to get them to where they were (which are now UB basketball legends).  I hope the current staff can keep the momentum going with that development, but the best way to have a good basketball team is to get very talented players.

So three of the five are signed, I wonder what we will do for the other two.  Perhaps we will pocket one.  Maybe a grad transfer on one as well. 

Go Bulls!

1 hour ago, UB92 said:

3.  On this thread (and maybe other threads) people are using CJ (and Perk) as examples of how lightly recruited / low star recruits can turn into great players.  And then use that as a pass for a player like Gallion.  Sure...that can happen.  But I can provide you with a laundry list of lightly recruited players UB has had on their roster in the pre-Hurley days that didn't move the needle at all.  So CJ and Perk are exceptions to the rule.  You can't expect that to happen and you should not expect it to happen.  Part of it was also development that the staff did on those guys (CJ and Perk) to get them to where they were (which are now UB basketball legends).  I hope the current staff can keep the momentum going with that development, but the best way to have a good basketball team is to get very talented players.

I don't think that the takeaway is that he's lightly recruited therefore he is CJ.  At least my point was that there is still talent out there and it can't be disregarded due to lack of offers.  There's a lot of room between CJ (#1 player on a top 25 team) and a useful player on a MAC contender.  The reality is that Gallion is the caliber of player that most mid-majors are after and there are plenty of solid players in the mid major ranks.  Gallion picked up 3 of his 5 offers after a big showing at a showcase for the best players available so at least 3 teams feel they uncovered a diamond in the rough, and the Illinois St. offer shouldn't be disregarded as they've been a top 100 team more often than not for over a decade.  While he doesn't have high major offers I'd be curious to know how many high majors were at this event looking for diamonds in the rough this late in the process.  The staff landed two high major talent pedigrees and then their third priority was Gallion and as of now they deserve the benefit the doubt in my opinion.  If our recruiting class on short notice is a Memphis transfer via JUCO, a skilled 3 star Center, a G with D1 shooting ability from day 1, and whatever happens with the last two scholarships that's pretty solid given the circumstances.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

In my opinion this signing is more about the 2020-21 season rather than this coming season. Ub has guards for this season but next year after Jordan and Johnson graduate we will be thin.

Probably a red shirt candidate

Considering how thin we are at guard after those 3, he is probably not redshirting. 

50 minutes ago, mikescherrer8 said:

Considering how thin we are at guard after those 3, he is probably not redshirting. 

At point/ball handlers you have jordan,Johnson,segu and graves. In my opinion he is the 5th option there

On top of that you could run a long line up where williams nickelberry or grant play the 2 spot

The team ub is putting together will have a very versatile line up

They may try to red shirt him but if injuries happen or he is just too good to keep on the bench then he will play. 

1 hour ago, UB05 said:

Does he have 4 years of eligibility? I’m not sure how prep schools work 

He sure does. It's like an extra year of high-school.

It's sticky though because you generally have 5 years to play 4. I think RS becomes weird as he reaches the end of his tenure. That's always been a fine line.

Just now, Kevin said:

It's sticky though because you generally have 5 years to play 4. I think RS becomes weird as he reaches the end of his tenure. That's always been a fine line.

Can’t wait for us to bring in a 25 year old freshman next year that’s married with 2 kids 

• Haha 2

I actually don't think he's a low recruit.

Anyone who's had multiple D1 offers is good.  Can't compare to CJ since he only had 1 other offer.  Illinois State also plays in Missouri Valley which is a step up from MAC, so I think he's a quality recruit. CAA and Horizon are also pretty comparable to the MAC.

6 hours ago, Kevin said:
7 hours ago, UB05 said:

Does he have 4 years of eligibility? I’m not sure how prep schools work 

The five year period does not begin until a student is enrolled in a college as a full time student (12 or more credits).  The 5 year clock is put on  hold for students who go on a religious mission (think BYU) or who enter the  military.  Their five year period is on hold until the return.

3 hours ago, James477 said:

I'm not sure that conferences with Net rankings of 14, 18 an 21 make the MVC, CAA and Horizon on par or better than the 9th ranked MAC.

MVC has been ranked ahead of the MAC 14/18 seasons with KP data. Horizon 11/18, and CAA 7/18. Granted they've each lost one of their top teams to a better conference but that arguably strengthens his point about the strength of their conferences.