Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

UB giving day

Here are the results from UB giving day. 

Pretty sad that football garners 3x as much in donations as men’s and women’s basketball and UB track field hauls in twice as much. 

4C16FB11-DB3F-4951-B958-57CC22DE0BEE.jpeg

Edited by UB85

8 minutes ago, SGBull said:

Hopefully this is because all the donors don’t care about this event and just will donate at other times.

Yeah like the crowd funding basic stuff for the teams, I don't think that this is really aimed at the big $ donors, as much as it's about trying to get new donors involved.  Athletics still received the greatest number of donations (extra 7.5k), and I'd guess MBB makes up a decent portion of that.

4 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

Yeah like the crowd funding basic stuff for the teams, I don't think that this is really aimed at the big $ donors, as much as it's about trying to get new donors involved.  Athletics still received the greatest number of donations (extra 7.5k), and I'd guess MBB makes up a decent portion of that.

Yes it seems like engineering was the only category that got a big donor.

I have no idea how these numbers compare to past crowd funding campaigns. But the fact UB men’s and women’s hoops fared so poorly relative to other programs given their outstanding and unprecedented success I fear is a sign that the teams have not capitalized on that success and in fact potentially could be regressing. The next year will tell us more.  

1 hour ago, UB85 said:

I have no idea how these numbers compare to past crowd funding campaigns. But the fact UB men’s and women’s hoops fared so poorly relative to other programs given their outstanding and unprecedented success I fear is a sign that the teams have not capitalized on that success and in fact potentially could be regressing. The next year will tell us more.  

If you're going to donate $100 or more, you might as well upgrade your seats which require a donation.  I donated (and keep my cheap seats) because there was a 2x match for young alumni, I previously donated to the MBB program, and any UB program that beats Ohio in the MAC Championship deserves some $$$.

2 hours ago, rma said:

If you're going to donate $100 or more, you might as well upgrade your seats which require a donation.  I donated (and keep my cheap seats) because there was a 2x match for young alumni, I previously donated to the MBB program, and any UB program that beats Ohio in the MAC Championship deserves some $$$.

I have the ability to contribute more because of our relative stations in life, you a recent graduate in the early stages of your career and me closer to the end. I’ve donated a fair amount over the last number of years and received numerous emails and text messages re this campaign. So I don’t think your point is accurate. 

Edited by UB85

4 hours ago, UB85 said:

Up about 50% from 2018.

5 hours ago, trueblue32 said:

Men's basketball came in 4th.  Look at the first post.

3 hours ago, rma said:

If you are looking for a tax deduction donate directly to athletics on UB Giving Day, which is a nice way to donate with others and show pride in all of UB or n any other day of the year.  A donation like that is 100% tax deductible.  The extra money paid for better seats was 80% deductible through the end of 2017.  As of 2018 0% of such donations are deductible.

2 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

Dollars raised does not equal number of donations. I'm guessing track and field at least got theirs mostly from 1 or 2 donations.

There were a lot people working to get track and field/cross country donations including the coaches and former runners on multiple social media platforms.

42 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

If you are looking for a tax deduction donate directly to athletics on UB Giving Day, which is a nice way to donate with others and show pride in all of UB or n any other day of the year.  A donation like that is 100% tax deductible.  The extra money paid for better seats was 80% deductible through the end of 2017.  As of 2018 0% of such donations are deductible.

I appreciate the tax advice (really, not in the condescending way I normally am), but as a 20-something without a mortgage I am nowhere near the standard deduction level in itemized deductions.  Good to know for the future if the tax code does not change though.

9 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

Up about 50% from 2018.

How about per team? Is football and track and field up 50% and others down?  In other words can you post the results from 2018, 17 etc?

Edited by UB85

1 hour ago, dutchcountry7 said:

I keep seeing people say that UB is a big money school but these figures are depressing.  Not just the athletic numbers but the whole day of giving numbers.

Almost all of the money was raised by the school of Engineering. 

The Giving Day process is a new thing at UB.  People also do not yet understand how little the state actually gives UB to support it.  There was a raise last year approved by the governor.  despite the increased costs for every campus there was no more money going to any campus to pay for it.  Each school has to figure out how to pay everyone.  It is being done through attrition and cut backs.

Best example of this is the dental school.  Their alums do not give because the state pays for all of it.

It is a process to get people to donate and UB is working harder than ever (and basically for the first time on a campus wide coordinated basis) to get it dome.

I did give on "Giving Day", but I don't wait until that day to give to UB, rather, I've always given to UB when I've felt like it, or if there was a project that I had the desire to support. If everyone who graduated from UB gave back just a little, we would have all the bells and whistles that have been discussed on these fan pages. Unfortunately, many choose not to give back (and it's their choice to do so), including those who received athletic/academic scholarships while they were students at UB, which is disappointing. I can only give when I can and promote it and hope that others will choose to follow. It's our school and is worth supporting!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 961819 said:
On 5/6/2019 at 3:02 PM, skrabukes said:

It's our school and is worth supporting!

Fully agree. As soon as I’m in a comfortable place financially I absolutely plan on contributing.

I started as soon as I graduated and without a job while in law school.  I started with a $15.00 gift.  Give up a beer or a drink a week, give up a pack of cigarettes a week.  You will be surprised how quickly you have money for a donation.

9 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

I started as soon as I graduated and without a job while in law school.  I started with a $15.00 gift.  Give up a beer or a drink a week, give up a pack of cigarettes a week.  You will be surprised how quickly you have money for a donation.

I don’t smoke or drink thank you, and I have debt that needs paying off first but then I will. 

Edited by 961819