Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Recruiting Speculation

Figured I’d start this for any general questions and speculation about potential recruits that doesn’t have anything to do with the recruit-specific threads.

I’ll start, does anyone have any info on where the coaches may have traveled to recently? 3 open scholarships and the team needing more depth, as well as recruiting ending next Friday. 

I’m totally on board with pocketing a scholarship for later use. Provided Savion Gallion signs that would be 3 and there would be one more. Not a clue who that would be, I wonder if our new assistant coach could pull a JUCO out of his hat 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, UB05 said:

I’m totally on board with pocketing a scholarship for later use. Provided Savion Gallion signs that would be 3 and there would be one more. Not a clue who that would be, I wonder if our new assistant coach could pull a JUCO out of his hat 

I believe we currently have 3 more spots to fill.

57 minutes ago, UB05 said:

A little over a week and 3 scholarships open.... we’re in the endgame now

Yes and no, recruits don't have to commit by that deadline, they can commit all the way up to when classes start I think. 

10 minutes ago, Gxtrex said:

What needs to be done by that deadline then?

I'm not sure, I just remember that Higgs committed in like June last year. I could be wrong though because I just looked at the site below and it says this is the first year that they are speeding up the process. So possibly disregard what I said before.

https://www.ncsasports.org/recruiting/managing-recruiting-process/national-signing-day

13 minutes ago, SGBull said:

I'm not sure, I just remember that Higgs committed in like June last year. I could be wrong though because I just looked at the site below and it says this is the first year that they are speeding up the process. So possibly disregard what I said before.

https://www.ncsasports.org/recruiting/managing-recruiting-process/national-signing-day

From the article it looks like the final signing date is May 15th.  But I am not sure what exactly that means if a team has unfilled scholarships after that day.

On 5/6/2019 at 8:07 PM, UB05 said:

Savion signs, 2 spots left 

We still have two scholarship openings I believe.  What happens if we don't sign anyone by tomorrow (which is the deadline I think)?  Do we just go into this season with two less players and have two more scholarships we can use next year?

6 minutes ago, Gxtrex said:

We still have two scholarship openings I believe.  What happens if we don't sign anyone by tomorrow (which is the deadline I think)?  Do we just go into this season with two less players and have two more scholarships we can use next year?

Players can still sign with the team to play for us up until the semester begins I believe, only difference is rather than signing a letter of intent they come to a scholarship agreement which seem like the same thing but apparently are different things 

9 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

We know that the coaches are talking to a few people (names have been mentioned here) and are hard at work trying to find another big (likely hasn't been mentioned here). Gotta "trust the process" 😄

Don’t you need Embiid’s permission to say that??

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jeseph said:

We know that the coaches are talking to a few people (names have been mentioned here) and are hard at work trying to find another big (likely hasn't been mentioned here). Gotta "trust the process" 😄

Only half in jest...the "trust the process" guy resigned after a 10 win season, so "trusting the process" to me means that we may have a competitive team in 5 years!  This is more of whether a guy can keep the momentum going on something that has been successful.  We will have a better idea after today of whether he was able to complete his class with players befitting a team that was ranked, basically, the entire season or are we futzing around against MVC, CAA, etc. teams for recruits.  It has been a mixed bag so far...but we are not done.  However, I would strongly suspect that anyone signed after today will have low probability of being star performer ( and please...save me the "we got CJ that way" stories, since that was a low probability success...kind of like NO winning the draft lottery).

20 minutes ago, UB92 said:

Only half in jest...the "trust the process" guy resigned after a 10 win season, so "trusting the process" to me means that we may have a competitive team in 5 years!  This is more of whether a guy can keep the momentum going on something that has been successful.  We will have a better idea after today of whether he was able to complete his class with players befitting a team that was ranked, basically, the entire season or are we futzing around against MVC, CAA, etc. teams for recruits.  It has been a mixed bag so far...but we are not done.  However, I would strongly suspect that anyone signed after today will have low probability of being star performer ( and please...save me the "we got CJ that way" stories, since that was a low probability success...kind of like NO winning the draft lottery).

I’d have to disagree about the star performer part. The talent that is still unsigned as well as the players that are in the transfer portal still means there’s plenty of potential still out there. Yes CJ being an overlooked 2 star ending up being arguably the best player in school history is rare and unlikely to be repeated, but when there’s still unsigned 3 stars and P5 players in the transfer portal, I still think we can get some key contributors. Only uncertain for me is whether the player(s) we bring in will have to sit a year then play or if they’ll be freshmen/grad transfers 

Edited by 961819