Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Recruiting Speculation

I don't want to get too speculative, but came across Nigel John on twitter. Recently followed by both Coach Quarles and Jenkins. One time commit to Washington State. John also followed a lot of UB accounts on twitter as well. 

Screen Shot 2019-06-01 at 11.28.39 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-01 at 11.28.51 PM.png

23 minutes ago, SGBull said:

They just got Joe Jones too...

Makes you wonder had we hired Lanier huh. He’s done a solid job recruiting since taking over there. 

Gotta admit since we rounded out our staff, especially with the hire of the JUCO coach, I’m a little disappointed there’s no activity. I’m not just talking about with the two scholarships we have left. I’m talking about jumping on kids in next years class and beyond. But I’m overall happy. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Makes you wonder had we hired Lanier huh. He’s done a solid job recruiting since taking over there. 

Gotta admit since we rounded out our staff, especially with the hire of the JUCO coach, I’m a little disappointed there’s no activity. I’m not just talking about with the two scholarships we have left. I’m talking about jumping on kids in next years class and beyond. But I’m overall happy. 

We have a lot of great returning players followed by a few good recruits and players are still in the process of committing to schools and our coaches are in the process of recruiting 2 more scholarships. Patience.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Winning solves everything, and our best chance of winning was to retain our current roster and build from there. Whitesell allowed the program to do that 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, UB05 said:

Winning solves everything, and our best chance of winning was to retain our current roster and build from there. Whitesell allowed the program to do that 

This is why next season is so important. If we can sustain success through 3 different head coaches it will really elevate the program even further.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Since when is not getting Joe Jones, a kid who several local high schools turned down due to academics when he was younger, make it worth reconsidering Whitesell vs Lanier? Who's to say that we even wanted him? There's thousands of quality players across the country, they'll find the ones that they want, who want to be here with us. Our coaches are doing just fine. The fact that they kept the current roster intact while adding 3 new guys (so far) makes me feel just fine with it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

Since when is not getting Joe Jones, a kid who several local high schools turned down due to academics when he was younger, make it worth reconsidering Whitesell vs Lanier? Who's to say that we even wanted him? There's thousands of quality players across the country, they'll find the ones that they want, who want to be here with us. Our coaches are doing just fine. The fact that they kept the current roster intact while adding 3 new guys (so far) makes me feel just fine with it. 

Not reconsidering anything. Our staff has done a great job retaining rostered players and bringing 3 players that can contribute right away. I like how our staff was rounded out. We are in great shape.

Was just simple saying that we can compare both these coaches tenures to one another directly. Bc we interviewed him and passed on him. And since he took of Georgia state he has brought in two players that had scholarship offers from us. The parallels are there. Will be interesting going forward to compare and see who was the better hire.

I have no idea what happened with Lanier. But Alnut’s preferred coach was a coach of color. Assuming all other things being equal I was fine with that. But it likely explains why Alnut took a lot of time to circle back to Jim who is an outstanding person and good coach.

But I don’t think we should fool ourselves. The likes of the last five years will very likely not come around again at UB. It was a great run. I loved every second of it. A lot of things were poorly handled by Alnut and  Tripathi re Oats. I’ve talked to several about it and perhaps I’ll post a long rant on it some day. But right now you’re all on the right track. Give Jim all your support and wish him the best. 

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, trueblue32 said:

He redshirted as a freshman which is interesting because

1.) I believe he'd have to burn a year of eligibility to transfer.

If he redshirted and he transfers due to a coaching change I believe he can apply for immediately eligibility. I could very likely be wrong on this...

1 hour ago, UB85 said:

I have no idea what happened with Lanier. But Alnut’s preferred coach was a coach of color. Assuming all other things being equal I was fine with that. But it likely explains why Alnut took a lot of time to circle back to Jim who is an outstanding person and good coach.

But I don’t think we should fool ourselves. The likes of the last five years will very likely not come around again at UB. It was a great run. I loved every second of it. A lot of things were poorly handled by Alnut and  Tripathi re Oats. I’ve talked to several about it and perhaps I’ll post a long rant on it some day. But right now you’re all on the right track. Give Jim all your support and wish him the best. 

1) I’d be shocked if Alnutt had a preference one way or another regarding the color of our coach, that’s just absurd. 

2) you’re probably right about the success we’ve had with Oats not coming around again, but there’s no reason we can’t be at the top of the MAC consistently and be a strong, recognizable mid major program. 

4 hours ago, UB85 said:

I would be interested in reading your long form take.  Please do share.  I feel I am one of the very few who post here that doesn't see everything through blue-colored glasses.

Several posters on here are saying things like "It's great we kept the team together", "Whitesell is doing a good job", "We have a chance to win the MAC next year".  Etc. 

Did you forget that earlier this year  there was talk (by the coach, even) as being the "Gonzaga of the East".   That's what I want.  I want that sort of bold mindset...to think big.   Instead, we are likely losing recruiting battles to Georgia State and the comments are:

• Trust the process
  • There are still a lot of good players left
  • Is he really a three star player?
  • Are coaches are doing just fine
  • Patience
  • Etc., etc.

We are not like other teams in the MAC...we never were.  UB was ALWAYS the sleeping giant and it finally woke up a few years ago.  Need to keep that giant awake and fed.  I don't want to go back to mediocrity.  I want to continue the dominance.  Otherwise, as UB85 writes, the 5-year run at UB won't come around again.   

2 hours ago, UB05 said:

1) I’d be shocked if Alnutt had a preference one way or another regarding the color of our coach, that’s just absurd. 

I am amazed you find this absurd.  I am not in collegiate athletics, but in other businesses this does happen.  When you have the opportunity, as a leader, to impact the diverse makeup of a particular profession/organization (to include many other voices), you can take it...assuming (as was mentioned) all things are about the same (after all, the hire and their performance is a reflection of the person who hired them).   Bringing different perspectives and voices to the table (in all professions) are useful and move that profession forward to encompass a wide range of views.  

6 minutes ago, UB92 said:

I would be interested in reading your long form take.  Please do share.  I feel I am one of the very few who post here that doesn't see everything through blue-colored glasses.

Several posters on here are saying things like "It's great we kept the team together", "Whitesell is doing a good job", "We have a chance to win the MAC next year".  Etc. 

Did you forget that earlier this year  there was talk (by the coach, even) as being the "Gonzaga of the East".   That's what I want.  I want that sort of bold mindset...to think big.   Instead, we are likely losing recruiting battles to Georgia State and the comments are:

• Trust the process
  • Patience
  • Etc., etc.

1.)  We're not losing recruiting battles to Georgia State, we offered Jones 4 years ago, and Thomas 2 years ago.  Not everybody that we've ever offered is actively being recruited.  I didn't see a single thing about us hosting them for visits or otherwise showing interest, it was just speculation here.

2.) We definitely have a chance to win the MAC next year, and realistically that would be outstanding with the graduation of seniors, and loss of staff and recruiting class.  If you think we're above hoping for say a 13 seed in a transition year because we were an at-large team one year, then you are the one wearing "blue-colored glasses".

3.) What were you realistically hoping for beyond keeping the team together and signing two 3 stars, with a limited timetable and talent pool at this point in the year?

11 minutes ago, UB92 said:

• Trust the process
  • Patience
  • Etc., etc.

We are not like other teams in the MAC...we never were.  UB was ALWAYS the sleeping giant and it finally woke up a few years ago.  Need to keep that giant awake and fed.  I don't want to go back to mediocrity.  I want to continue the dominance.  Otherwise, as UB85 writes, the 5-year run at UB won't come around again.   

Of course we would love to be the "Gonzaga of the east", but that isn't as realistic now that Oates left.  Realistically, being good in conference/winning the MAC would be a great start to building up Buffalo as a basketball school, as opposed to being good because of our current coaching staff.

I think we have a pretty good lineup with the returning players, transfers now eligible to play, and a few incoming recruits (Skogman was big for us).  I think we need another big to grab rebounds and play by the basket but we are in pretty good shape.

It is unrealistic for us to play at last years level when we lost our head coach, had like 5 contributors graduate, and lost our incoming class when the head coach left.  If we are competitive this year we will have sustained success that should help put Buffalo on the map. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, UB92 said:

• Trust the process
  • Patience
  • Etc., etc.

While I understand your concerns and I agree to an extent. I am very happy that we managed to grab 2 of our 5 highest rated recruits ever. We also were able to keep everyone from transferring, which is crazy this day in age where hundreds of players entered the transfer portal. Finally, we have Antwain and Gabe coming in next year for even more support. 

12 minutes ago, SGBull said:

While I understand your concerns and I agree to an extent. I am very happy that we managed to grab 2 of our 5 highest rated recruits ever. We also were able to keep everyone from transferring, which is crazy this day in age where hundreds of players entered the transfer portal. Finally, we have Antwain and Gabe coming in next year for even more support. 

Who is the second highest besides Skogman?  Or do you mean retaining Jeenathan?  I didnt think Nickleberry or Gallion were that high

14 minutes ago, Gxtrex said:

Who is the second highest besides Skogman?  Or do you mean retaining Jeenathan?  I didnt think Nickleberry or Gallion were that high

https://247sports.com/Player/David-Nickelberry-86138/high-school-151507/

Coming out of high school Nickelberry would have been our fifth highest recruit. 

https://247sports.com/college/buffalo/Season/2019-Basketball/Commits/

Technically we will have 5 of our top 6 ever because Bertram is 6th highest.

Edited by SGBull

2 minutes ago, SGBull said:

https://247sports.com/Player/David-Nickelberry-86138/high-school-151507/

Coming out of high school Nickelberry would have been our fifth highest recruit. 

https://247sports.com/college/buffalo/Season/2019-Basketball/Commits/

Technically we will have 5 of our top 6 ever because Bertram is 6th highest

Oh wow good to know. How much eligibility does nickleberey have?